Cursor Type of window

  • swoolet <spw57nc@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
      When my app starts, the window comes up a few seconds before it can
      handle input. During this time, the hourglass cursor is displayed.
      Is there some way that I can check the cursor type before attempting
      to send input?

      Thanks.
    • Ernesto Guisado <erngui@acm.org>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2003
        Hi,

        I think your best bet is to use the Win32::API module. The
        documentation for the module shows how to call 'GetCursorPos'. I
        think you'll need a combination of GetCursor and LoadCursor with the
        flag IDC_WAIT.

        It's not trivial though. You might be better off waiting for a fixed
        period of time before starting...

        Regards,
        Ernesto.
      • Dennis K. Paulsen <ctrondlpaulsden@yahoo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2003
          Hi,

          If you are not already using WaitWindowLike to wait for the window to
          come up, I would suggest trying that first. If that doesn't work,
          you can check to see if the window is enabled for mouse and keyboard
          input (according to the MSDN documentation) by using IsWindowEnabled;
          which is available in the Win32::GUITest module, however I don't
          recall ever using it.

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "swoolet <spw57nc@h...>"

        • stupakov <stupakov@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2003
            I have a similar problem with my perl scripts that use perlguitest
            to open Internet Explorer and connect to my bank web site.
            To check that I have the web page open, I send ^A^C (select all and
            copy) every second to the browser window, and then check from perl
            what I have in the clipboard. It turns out that I get something
            in the clipboard (the contents of the web page) only after
            the page is downloaded. If the clipboard is empty, I know that
            the browser is still loading the page, and wait.

            Hope this helps.

            Gennady.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2003
              Note: If you wanted to, you could use something like MenuSelect
              ("&Edit|Select &All", [WINDOW HANDLE]) to do the copy. It should be
              more reliable then SendKeys because a window could come in and out of
              the foreground, especially under Win2k/XP. And if you want a better
              way to get the contents of a web page, there is probably a Perl
              module available for it or you could download a Windows version of
              lynx or wget, so you didn't have to open up IE.

              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "stupakov <stupakov@y...>"

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2003
                That is an interesting subject, and I would be happy if somebody
                gives me a good advice.

                The problem with using external programs as lynx, wget or curl, or
                perl net libraries, is that you have to deal with the web pages that
                are generated dynamically -- analyze them, find the internal forms,
                figure out what to send to the server to get to the next page, and so
                on. However, what kills you is javascript, that is often imbedded in
                the source of web pages, and none of those tools can deal with it.
                I tried that path in the past, an rejected it in favour of gui tools
                (I used AutoIt.exe before switching to perlguitest) in combination
                with IE.

                As for using MenuSelect, this might be a good idea, but I found that
                my SendKeys("^A^C") is pretty robust and works well.

                Thanks.
                Gennady.

                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen