please help me

  • prashant patel
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
      Hi all,

      This is my first mail to this group.I am working as a Software tester.I am
      new to PERL.please suggest me some good book of perl

      I am working on database testing and I want to automate database testing
      using Win32:GUI library.
      we have foxpro GUI based application and we are migrtating it to SQL server
      2000.can I automate it using thisWIN32:GUI test framework?.please me some
      hints to start.I want to do following things.

      -->Automate all INSERTING,DELETING & UPDATING operation in application.
      --->Put DB check point wherever applicable

      Thanks & regards
      Prashant Kumar
      Skype:prashant.vachhani
      Yahoo:prashant0005

    • Martin McGrath
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
        What have you read so far? The Win32::GuiTest documentation (http://search.cpan.org/~erngui/Win32-GuiTest-1.3/GuiTest.pm)? The example code that comes with it (http://search.cpan.org/~ctrondlp/Win32-GuiTest-1_50.5/Examples.pm)? You say you are new to Perl (Not PERL), have you read any of perldoc (http://perldoc.perl.org/) ? Learning Perl (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/learnperl4/) is a good text, failing that why not look at some of the Perl books that are out there (http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/perl) and read some reviews?

        Martin

        prashant patel <prashant.patel143@...> wrote: Hi all,

        This is my first mail to this group.I am working as a Software tester.I am
        new to PERL.please suggest me some good book of perl

        I am working on database testing and I want to automate database testing
        using Win32:GUI library.
        we have foxpro GUI based application and we are migrtating it to SQL server
        2000.can I automate it using thisWIN32:GUI test framework?.please me some
        hints to start.I want to do following things.

        -->Automate all INSERTING,DELETING & UPDATING operation in application.
        --->Put DB check point wherever applicable

        Thanks & regards
        Prashant Kumar
        Skype:prashant.vachhani
        Yahoo:prashant0005

      • Santosh Kumar
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2006
          Prashant,

          Not sure since when you are member of this group, but I believe you should have come across this message by Piotr offlate.

          "I do respect your point of view. However in this particular case I do not agree with you. I am really annoyed by all those jerks building their reputation by answering RTFM to any question. But from the other hand there is a limit of obviousness, which should not be exceeded. If somebody asks a question on this forum how to learn perl, he/she proves that:
          1. He/she did not bother checking what is the profile of this group
          2. He did not bother searching google. "learn perl" and "learning
          perl" gives so obvious results that I can't think of any explanation for asking such a basic question here. Such attitudes annoy me and I can imagine that they can annoy others. I don't want to start a discussion. As I said, I respect your point of view, but as a second moderator, want to mention that my opinion in this matter is different. "
          --Piotr

          Now being kind and to answer your question. There are enough resources available on Internet that are adequate to know every thing about Perl.
          Check out followings,
          http://learn.perl.org/ , http://www.perl.org/ , http://qa.perl.org .

          About Perl books, I consider O'Reilly's publication as the BEST. http://www.unix.org.ua/orelly/

          Well about your work on database, there are two different aspects what i see,
          1) Database GUI Test Automation using Win32::GUITest module
          or
          2) Database Test Automation using Win32::GUITest module,

          Its ok if, your work is in this case is point 1. But it definitely doesn't make any sense to me if you want to use GUITest module to automate DB testing.
          You can always use DBD or DBI module to work with Database.

          Rest is all up to you.

          Regards,
          ~Santosh kumar
          [PS: Please do some Home work/ Ground work or what ever work possible before you Post a message on to any Forum]