Win32::GuiTest scripts fail over SSH

  • rachnareddy
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2006

      I am using Win32::GuiTest 1.50.5 on a Windows XP box.

      My scripts work fine locally on the XP box but fail when I try to run
      them over SSH. I installed OpenSSH for Windows. APIs such as
      FindWindowLike, SetActiveWindow etc fail.

      I tried running spy--.pl over SSH and I found I cannot see any of the
      windows that I can see when I run spy--.pl locally on the XP box.

      Is there some step that I am missing in order to make Win32::GuiTest
      perl scripts work over SSH? Is this supported? Can I get handles to
      windows etc over SSH?

      Thanks in advance.
    • Ernesto Guisado
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2006

        Do you have the option of using XP's built-in "Remote Desktop
        Connection" program? That should work.

        It's difficult to make a general statement about SSH, but I wouldn't
        expect it to work with Win32::GuiTest. AFAIK the SSH server could just
        be implemented as a service without any possibility of interaction
        with the Window system.

        Regards,
        Ernesto.

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "rachnareddy" <rachnar@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am using Win32::GuiTest 1.50.5 on a Windows XP box.
        >
        > My scripts work fine locally on the XP box but fail when I try to run
        > them over SSH. I installed OpenSSH for Windows. APIs such as
        > FindWindowLike, SetActiveWindow etc fail.
        >
        > I tried running spy--.pl over SSH and I found I cannot see any of the
        > windows that I can see when I run spy--.pl locally on the XP box.
        >
        > Is there some step that I am missing in order to make Win32::GuiTest
        > perl scripts work over SSH? Is this supported? Can I get handles to
        > windows etc over SSH?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

      • rachnareddy
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2006
          Thanks for your response. Yes, I have tried Remote Desktop Connection
          before and it works but unfortuantely that is not scriptable. I need
          to execute the Win32::GuiTest scripts remotely in an automated way.

          Looking at the archives here I did see a very old email from someone
          who had success over SSH but there were not much details. If anyone
          has tried this and got it to work, please let me know.

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Ernesto Guisado" <erngui@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Do you have the option of using XP's built-in "Remote Desktop
          > Connection" program? That should work.
          >
          > It's difficult to make a general statement about SSH, but I wouldn't
          > expect it to work with Win32::GuiTest. AFAIK the SSH server could just
          > be implemented as a service without any possibility of interaction
          > with the Window system.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Ernesto.
          >
          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "rachnareddy" <rachnar@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am using Win32::GuiTest 1.50.5 on a Windows XP box.
          > >
          > > My scripts work fine locally on the XP box but fail when I try to run
          > > them over SSH. I installed OpenSSH for Windows. APIs such as
          > > FindWindowLike, SetActiveWindow etc fail.
          > >
          > > I tried running spy--.pl over SSH and I found I cannot see any of the
          > > windows that I can see when I run spy--.pl locally on the XP box.
          > >
          > > Is there some step that I am missing in order to make Win32::GuiTest
          > > perl scripts work over SSH? Is this supported? Can I get handles to
          > > windows etc over SSH?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.

        • paramsan1234
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
            Disclaimer: This does not relates to Win32::GuiTest in any way I can
            think of.

            How to run a script remotely on another computer?
            [Quote]
            "execute the Win32::GuiTest scripts remotely in an automated way"
            [/Quote]

            Hmmm did I see "remotely" scripts "automated way"...
            If you don't care about security and the machine is immediately on the
            same network,

            use 'psexec.exe' from SysInternals
            The Link:
            http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsExec.html

            Do read the full documentation on the page, taking into account that
            if you don't give the username and password, the scripts might not be
            able to see a network location.

            One could run it like:
            [Code]

            # Somewhere in the perl program on some safe machine...
            $scriptReturn = system("PATH_TO_PSEXEC_EXE \\\\CompName
            PATH_TO_PERL_EXE $someScript arg1 arg2 ... argN");
            # I wanna wait till psexec.exe to returns a value or equivalently my
            scripts return a value

            [/Code]

            Once set-up you can try more switches, espacially considering the fact
            that your script runs in the working directory of C:\Windows\System32
            usually and I cannot yet find a way in perl to change a directory to a
            full qualified UNC path name!

            But yeah do read the full documentation for psExec and the security
            issues.

            Hope this helps!

            -Param
            |Just another newbie learning from the perls of wisdom.|