Handling HTML Pages (HTML pages includes Java Scripts) using Perl Module

  • meetdeepakb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
      Hi all,

      Is there any module to automate "HTML pages created with the help of
      Java script".

      I just checked with Win32::SAM module, the module couldn't recognize
      the buttons & the links which are created using java scripts.

      I also checked with LWP module, it didn't work out.

      Is there any other module in perl which can help in solving the issue?

      Regards
      Deepak
    • Martin McGrath
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
        This depends what you are trying to do. Your question is not clear on this.
        Automate "HTML pages created with the help of JavaScript"? If by this you mean test or browse pages with JavaScript then look at
        Win32::IE::Mechanize (http://search.cpan.org/~abeltje/Win32-IE-Mechanize-0.009/lib/Win32/IE/Mechanize.pm), it will allow the automation of website testing/browsing. It provides functionality of WWW::Mechanize using Win32::OLE to drive Internet Explorer, which can deal with javascript.

        meetdeepakb <meetdeepakb@...> wrote:
        Hi all,

        Is there any module to automate "HTML pages created with the help of
        Java script".

        I just checked with Win32::SAM module, the module couldn't recognize
        the buttons & the links which are created using java scripts.

        I also checked with LWP module, it didn't work out.

        Is there any other module in perl which can help in solving the issue?

        Regards
        Deepak

      • Gabor Szabo
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
          On 6/8/06, meetdeepakb <meetdeepakb@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > Is there any module to automate "HTML pages created with the help of
          > Java script".

          AFAIK there is no stand alone solution to this issue and even if there was
          the Javascript engine in such soultion would be different from the one
          in Internet Explorer.

          Assuming you are on windows you can use Win32::IE::Mechanize
          which is very good.
          For Mozilla there is Mozilla::Mechanize but I have not tried it yet.

          You might find some more details here:
          http://search.cpan.org/dist/Bundle-Test/Test.pm

          Gabor
        • Alex Morozov
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
            Hi.

            It seems you can`t do that directly. Here`s the explanation:
            http://search.cpan.org/dist/WWW-Mechanize/lib/WWW/Mechanize/FAQ.pod

            Well, you can pass urls through a browser and get rendered html from it... But
            it`s tricky a bit. )

            > Hi all,
            >
            > Is there any module to automate "HTML pages created with the help of
            > Java script".
            >
            > I just checked with Win32::SAM module, the module couldn't recognize
            > the buttons & the links which are created using java scripts.
            >
            > I also checked with LWP module, it didn't work out.
            >
            > Is there any other module in perl which can help in solving the issue?
            >
            > Regards
            > Deepak
          • chrs_mcmhn
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 8, 2006
              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "meetdeepakb" <meetdeepakb@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > Is there any module to automate "HTML pages created with the help of
              > Java script".
              >
              > I just checked with Win32::SAM module, the module couldn't recognize
              > the buttons & the links which are created using java scripts.

              You should look at Selenium and it's Perl controller:

              http://search.cpan.org/~lukec/Test-WWW-Selenium/lib/WWW/Selenium.pm
              http://www.openqa.org/selenium/

              It's really an excellent tool, designed to do exactly what you describe.

              Also, if you don't object to Ruby, Watir (Web Application Testing in
              Ruby) is another tool capable of doing this sort of thing:
              http://www.openqa.org/watir/

              -Chris