Writing a cross platform Perl script

  • Sonam Chauhan
    Message 1 of 10 , May 24, 2006
      Hello - I wanted some advice on using Win32::GuiTest in a cross-platform
      Perl script...

      Till now, my script ran only on Cygwin/Windows and UNIX. It uses a CPAN
      modules named Proc::ProcessTable that is only supported on Cygwin and
      UNIX and not on ActivePerl.

      Recently I came across a need to use Win32::GuiTest (for the
      Windows-based SAMIE testing tool). That's when I saw on the mailing list
      archives that GuiTest isn't supported for Cygwin since it is compiled
      with Visual C++ and Cygwin uses gcc.

      So my question: how can I make a unified cross platform Perl script that
      makes ProcessTable functionality only available only on UNIX, and
      GuiTest available only on Windows? Is it possible to do something
      equivalent to this:?

      $a = general_function_1();

      $b = general_function_2();

      #ifdef UNIX

      use Proc::ProcessTable;

      run_UNIX_program();

      #endif

      #ifdef Windows

      use Win32::GuiTest;

      run_windows_program()

      #endif

      $c = general_function_3();

      Sincerely,

      Sonam Chauhan

      --

      Corporate Express Australia Ltd.

      Phone: +61-2-9335-0725, Email: sonam.chauhan@...

    • Alex Morozov
      Message 2 of 10 , May 24, 2006
        Hello.

        Checking value of *$^O may help you. Also, consider 'perldoc perlvar'.
        *
      • Sonam Chauhan
        Message 3 of 10 , May 24, 2006
          Thanks for your help Alex. I tried implementing a conditional 'use'
          statement like the one below, but it still fails with a "Can't locate
          Win32/GuiTest.pm in @INC".

          -------------------------

          if ($^O eq 'cygwin') {

          use Proc::ProcessTable; unix_specific_stuff();

          } elsif ($^O =~ /MSWin/) {

          use Win32::GuiTest; unix_specific_stuff();

          }

          -------------------------

          Is there a clean way to conditionally 'use' modules?

          Sincerely,

          Sonam Chauhan

          --

          <mailto:sonam.chauhan@...>

          ________________________________

          Checking value of *$^O may help you. Also, consider 'perldoc perlvar'.
          *

        • Peter G Martin
          Message 4 of 10 , May 25, 2006
            Sonam Chauhan:
            On Thu, 25 May 2006 16:32:27 +1000, you wrote:
            > Thanks for your help Alex. I tried implementing a conditional
            > 'use' statement like the one below, but it still fails with a
            > "Can't locate Win32/GuiTest.pm in @INC".

            That means you don't have the module properly installed in the @INC directories
            (for details, try "perl -V")...

            Do try to read the Perl FAQs, where the topic above and the problem involved in that
            error message are both comprehensively covered.

            When you get that sorted, you might also look at some of the options
            that are possible in using "BEGIN" and for that matter, in using "ifdef"

            Read the perl docs for details on how to install modules....
            and where they are expected to be found.

            --Peter M
          • Sonam Chauhan
            Message 5 of 10 , May 25, 2006
              Hi Peter:

              > That means you don't have the module properly installed in the @INC
              > directories (for details, try "perl -V")...
              >
              > Do try to read the Perl FAQs, where the topic above and the
              > problem involved in that error message are both comprehensively
              covered.

              The group owner said last month that module installation failure for
              Perl on Cygwin is both expected and unsupported.

              Cygwin isn't supported. GuiTest was developed using only Visual C++.
              Cygwin uses gcc as compiler. That's where the errors come from.

              > When you get that sorted, you might also look at some of the options
              > that are possible in using "BEGIN" and for that matter, in using
              "ifdef"

              Thanks.

              Sincerely,
              Sonam Chauhan
              --
              Corporate Express Australia Ltd.
              Phone: +61-2-9335-0725, Email: sonam.chauhan@...
            • Susruth Sudhakaran
              Message 6 of 10 , May 25, 2006
                sonam,

                try including the conditional 'use' statement inside a BEGIN block..That should work

                Susruth

                Sonam Chauhan <sonam.chauhan@...,hu> wrote:
                Hi Peter:

                > That means you don't have the module properly installed in the @INC
                > directories (for details, try "perl -V")...
                >
                > Do try to read the Perl FAQs, where the topic above and the
                > problem involved in that error message are both comprehensively
                covered.

                The group owner said last month that module installation failure for
                Perl on Cygwin is both expected and unsupported.

                Cygwin isn't supported. GuiTest was developed using only Visual C++.
                Cygwin uses gcc as compiler. That's where the errors come from.

                > When you get that sorted, you might also look at some of the options
                > that are possible in using "BEGIN" and for that matter, in using
                "ifdef"

                Thanks.

                Sincerely,
                Sonam Chauhan
                --
                Corporate Express Australia Ltd.
                Phone: +61-2-9335-0725, Email: sonam.chauhan@...

                Basic programming language C programming language Computer programming languages The c programming language C++ programming language Software programming language

                Susruth Sudhakaran

                You are not responsible for what happens to you in life but you are definitely responsible for how you respond to it
                -------Some great Man(Not Me)

              • Clement Cherlin
                Message 7 of 10 , May 25, 2006
                  --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Susruth Sudhakaran <sush_1205@...>
                  wrote:

                  > sonam,
                  >
                  > try including the conditional 'use' statement inside a BEGIN
                  block..That should work

                  Actually, it won't, since "use" is already a compile-time directive.
                  Using it inside a BEGIN block is redundant. From "perlmod" in the
                  Perl docs:

                  ] Perl modules are included into your program by saying
                  ]
                  ] use Module;
                  ] or
                  ] use Module LIST;
                  ]
                  ] This is exactly equivalent to
                  ]
                  ] BEGIN { require Module; import Module; }
                  ] or
                  ] BEGIN { require Module; import Module LIST; }

                  What you really want is something like this:

                  BEGIN {
                  if ($^O =~ /MSWin/) {

                  require Win32::GuiTest;

                  }
                  else {

                  require Proc::ProcessTable;

                • Sonam Chauhan
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 25, 2006
                    Thanks Clement - it was 'require' as you said. Thanks to Susruth as
                    well. .

                    I think can do away with a BEGIN block: the following code gave expected
                    output under both Cygwin and Windows:

                    ----

                    perl -e "if ($^O eq 'cygwin') {require Proc::ProcessTable; print 'found
                    cygwin'} elsif ($^O eq 'MSWin32') {require Win32::GuiTest; print 'found
                    windows'}"

                    ----

                    Sincerely,

                    Sonam Chauhan

                    ________________________________

                    > try including the conditional 'use' statement inside a BEGIN
                    block..That should work

                    Actually, it won't, since "use" is already a compile-time directive.
                    Using it inside a BEGIN block is redundant. From "perlmod" in the
                    Perl docs:

                    ] Perl modules are included into your program by saying
                    ]
                    ] use Module;
                    ] or
                    ] use Module LIST;
                    ]
                    ] This is exactly equivalent to
                    ]
                    ] BEGIN { require Module; import Module; }
                    ] or
                    ] BEGIN { require Module; import Module LIST; }

                    What you really want is something like this:

                    BEGIN {
                    if ($^O =~ /MSWin/) {

                    require Win32::GuiTest;

                    }
                    else {

                    require Proc::ProcessTable;

                    Basic programming language
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Basic+programming+language&w1=Basic
                    +programming+language&w2=C+programming+language&w3=Computer+programming+
                    languages&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=S
                    oftware+programming+language&c=6&s=193&.sig=p2tsb9F38_BRtgYd-Lrx9w>

                    C programming language
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=C+programming+language&w1=Basic+pro
                    gramming+language&w2=C+programming+language&w3=Computer+programming+lang
                    uages&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Softw
                    are+programming+language&c=6&s=193&.sig=s417rQDhIfEJWoylZxl7QQ>

                    Computer programming languages
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+programming+languages&w1=B
                    asic+programming+language&w2=C+programming+language&w3=Computer+programm
                    ing+languages&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&
                    w6=Software+programming+language&c=6&s=193&.sig=QgdknWHEB-7BcpDElLJcYw>

                    The c programming language
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=The+c+programming+language&w1=Basic
                    +programming+language&w2=C+programming+language&w3=Computer+programming+
                    languages&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=S
                    oftware+programming+language&c=6&s=193&.sig=DSnZ2EFeZa_krjnfz_P5vQ>

                    C++ programming language
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=C+++programming+language&w1=Basic+p
                    rogramming+language&w2=C+programming+language&w3=Computer+programming+la
                    nguages&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w6=Sof
                    tware+programming+language&c=6&s=193&.sig=IvzvhTPnaj_LFsbqs2knAg>

                    Software programming language
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Software+programming+language&w1=Ba
                    sic+programming+language&w2=C+programming+language&w3=Computer+programmi
                    ng+languages&w4=The+c+programming+language&w5=C+++programming+language&w
                    6=Software+programming+language&c=6&s=193&.sig=pUnPrY01tNTjZVkDEHkvYQ>

                  • Sonam Chauhan
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 25, 2006
                      Sorry Clement - you are exactly right - the 'require' statements need to
                      be within BEGIN blocks for subroutines in modules to be referenced
                      properly at compile time.

                      As you said:

                      BEGIN {
                      if ($^O =~ /MSWin/) {
                      require Win32::GuiTest;
                      }
                      else {
                      require Proc::ProcessTable;

                      Sincerely,

                      Sonam Chauhan

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                        If that works for you, great! For an object-oriented module, it probably doesn't matter whether you use a BEGIN block or not, since method calls are dispatched at run-time.

                        On the other hand, if you want to import symbols from a package, use package constants, take advantage of sub prototypes, or other compile-time features and optimizations, you'll need to put your require statement into a BEGIN block so that the module is available at compile-time.

                        Basically, putting a require statement inside a BEGIN block doesn't hurt and it could help, so it's safer as a rule of thumb.