Newbie to perl GUI test

  • Ambat, Gopakumar (STSD)
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      I have a MFC based app for which I plan to do some test automation. My
      app uses Perl internally (links perl58.dll and uses a bunch of XS
      interfaces), so I was delighted when I read about doing automation using
      Perl. I read the documentation (partly), and wanted to know if I could
      use GUI test to automate an MFC app which in turn uses Perl..

      Please advice on whether GUI test would be the right tool to use in my
      scenario.

      Thanks,
      Gopa
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
        GUI automation operates on standard window controls - edit boxes,
        combos and so on. It does not care what is the language of the
        application, which hosts them. MFC uses those standard controls. So
        you should be fine, unless you create some custom, specific window
        controls.

        --Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Ambat, Gopakumar (STSD)"
        <gopakumar.ambat@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I have a MFC based app for which I plan to do some test automation. My
        > app uses Perl internally (links perl58.dll and uses a bunch of XS
        > interfaces), so I was delighted when I read about doing automation using
        > Perl. I read the documentation (partly), and wanted to know if I could
        > use GUI test to automate an MFC app which in turn uses Perl..
        >
        > Please advice on whether GUI test would be the right tool to use in my
        > scenario.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Gopa

      • Agnishwar Karmakar
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006

          I am new to perl Win32 GUI test. It will be of great
          help if some one provide me some pointer on this.

          I am using GUI test to automate test cases for an C++
          based application. I am unable to fetch text from a
          edit control box. This Edit box is a child of an
          parent window. I observed that WinSpy does not show
          any caption either for parent window or for the child
          edit box control. Now how do I get the handle for
          child edit box control when I don't know the window
          caption for both the parent and child? My intention is
          to pass the child handle in WMGetText to fetch the
          text in the control.

          More precisely, Can some one help me how to get handle
          of window when Winspy does not show any caption for
          that window?

          Is there any other function to fetch text from a
          control like edit box?

          Thanks in advance.
          Regards,
          Agnishwar