Capture error message dialogs

  • brentje
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2005
      Hi

      I was wondering if there were an easy way to watch for error message
      dialog boxes. Error messages may not always be expected, especially
      if the script is working properly and a legitimate bug comes up in the
      test. I'd like the script to stop and grab a screenshot of the error
      before shutting everything down and moving onto the next test script,
      or possibly respond to the message and try to continue the test. I've
      already figured out how to take screenshots (Win32::Screenshot is very
      nice), so that's one problem down. But I'm not sure how to account
      for unexpected error messages.

      Thanks
      Brent
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
        Good question,
        There is no direct support for it right now in Win32::GuiTest. But it
        definitely needs some research, since it is a common problem. I would
        start from checking what is the parent-child relationships between
        dialog boxes and other application windows.

        --Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "brentje" <brentje@y...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > I was wondering if there were an easy way to watch for error message
        > dialog boxes. Error messages may not always be expected, especially
        > if the script is working properly and a legitimate bug comes up in the
        > test. I'd like the script to stop and grab a screenshot of the error
        > before shutting everything down and moving onto the next test script,
        > or possibly respond to the message and try to continue the test. I've
        > already figured out how to take screenshots (Win32::Screenshot is very
        > nice), so that's one problem down. But I'm not sure how to account
        > for unexpected error messages.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Brent

      • brentje
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 30, 2005
          I wonder if Perl can do this at all. I'll be looking this up today,
          but is there a way to hook into the form's Lost Focus event so that my
          script receives that message as well?

          The only other way I can figure to do it is if I make a master script,
          maybe even a C++ program, to first check the form that currently has
          focus to see if it's the form I want. If it is, feed one line of the
          script in, and repeat the process. If it's not, run some other code.
          I'd image that this would have a big effect on processor time though.
          If anyone can think of better ways to do this, please respond.

          Thanks
          Brent

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...> wrote:

          > Good question,
          > There is no direct support for it right now in Win32::GuiTest. But it
          > definitely needs some research, since it is a common problem. I would
          > start from checking what is the parent-child relationships between
          > dialog boxes and other application windows.
          >
          > --Piotr
          >
          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "brentje" <brentje@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > I was wondering if there were an easy way to watch for error message
          > > dialog boxes. Error messages may not always be expected, especially
          > > if the script is working properly and a legitimate bug comes up in the
          > > test. I'd like the script to stop and grab a screenshot of the error
          > > before shutting everything down and moving onto the next test script,
          > > or possibly respond to the message and try to continue the test. I've
          > > already figured out how to take screenshots (Win32::Screenshot is very
          > > nice), so that's one problem down. But I'm not sure how to account
          > > for unexpected error messages.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Brent

        • liu xiaolei