Re: [perlguitest] Re: Readme and readme.html files in cvs

  • Gábor Szabó
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2005
      I am in favor of removing the readme files from the cvs but make sure they are
      generated and put in the package zip file.

      On 11/28/05, Piotr Kaluski <pkaluski@...> wrote:
      > I would go even further and remove the following files (from cvs):
      >
      > * manifest

      manifest should be maintained manually as it is a control for the
      deelopers so they will think twic what files should and should not
      go into the release. So keep this in cvs.

      > * manifest.skip
      is just a help file so when you run make manifest
      (that helps you generate the manifest file) it will know what files to skip.
      this can be removed if you don't run make mainfest any more (which
      is reasonable if you are maintaining the manifest file manually)

      > Those 2 files should be generated when creating a package. They
      > should
      > contain all files, which are in the package. Some of files included
      > in
      > the release are generated. Currently we have the following problem:
      > manifest file stored in cvs contains files, which are generated
      > durring
      > package creation. So if someone get's the most recent code from cvs
      > and
      > runs "perl makefile.pl" he/she is warned that some files mentioned in
      > manifest do not exists. No big deal but it is confusing.

      I agree that this is a problem but the solution - if there is one - should not
      be removing our control file.

      > * Win32-guitest.ppd - it is generated.
      Hmm, I don't know about that but I think that should not be in the cvs either.

      Gabor
      currently from Prague