Re: WMSetText to '#32770' dialog then PushChildButton OK, windows send default v

    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 15, 2005
      OK.
      Guys, I will try to find some time to have a look at it. It is close
      to christmass so... well, you know :-). But I will try...

      --Piotr

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "splemmon" <steve_lemmon@h...>
      wrote:

      > I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and
      SelComboString

      <oohay1_2005@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > anyone has any idea why WMSetText and SelCombo* are not working
      > > (value/setting not stick) with class 32770 dialogs or how to
      resolve
      > > the issue? thanks.
      > >
      > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "lmarlin" <lmarlin@y...>
      wrote:

      > > > This example may help - even if it's imperfect (see header notes

      > > > # The goal of this example is to open
      > > > # the Printing Preferences window for a printer,
      > > > # sets the Landscape option and number of pages per page
      > preference
      > > > # and then Apply
      > > > # and OK
      > > >
      > > > # when you check the settings after it is done,
      > > > # you see that the Landscape setting is in effect,
      > > > # but the number of pages is still 1
      > > >
      > > > # Why doesn't the number of pages get set to 2 and "stick"?
      > > >
      > > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
      > > > use strict;
      > > >
      > > > my $WinCaption = "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6";
      > > > my $MessageClass = "PrintUI_PrinterQueue";
      > > >
      > > > my @whnds = FindWindowLike( 0, $WinCaption, $MessageClass );
      > > > #
      > > > # want only one window in response to the search
      > > > #
      > > > if ( !( scalar @whnds == 1 && IsWindow($whnds[0])) )
      > > > {
      > > > die "No Printer Window (or too many)";
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > SetForegroundWindow ($whnds[0]);
      > > > sleep 1;
      > > >
      > > > SendKeys("%pf"); # Send keystrokes to access
      > Printing
      > > > Preferences window
      > > > sleep 1;
      > > >
      > > > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6
      > Printing
      > > > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      > > >
      > > > #
      > > > # Find the Layout tab
      > > > #
      > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      > > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      > > > printf( "Layout: %x\n", $hnd);
      > > > PushChildButton ($hnd, "^&Landscape");
      > > >
      > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      > > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd,
      undef, "^ComboBox",
      > > > undef, undef, 2 );
      > > > printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);
      > > >
      > > > # SelComboString($hnd, "2");
      > > > SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");
      > > >
      > > > sleep 2;
      > > >
      > > > PushButton ("^&Apply");
      > > >
      > > > sleep 2;
      > > >
      > > > PushButton ("^OK");
      > > >
      > > > Fish
      > > >

      > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
      > <oohay1_2005@y...>

      > beginning
      > > > dialog

      > tried.

      > Properties,
      > > > should

      > PS" ....)

      > > > code it

      > undef,
      > > > 2 );

      > > > (which
      > before).

      > beginning

      > > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

      > sample
      > > > gui
      > > > preference
      > with
      > > > window

      PS",
      > > > undef,
      > Printing

      > undef, "^ComboBox",

      > pages
      > > > per
      > WMSetText,
      > > > value
      > PushButton/PushChildButton.

      > > > <pkaluski@p...>

      > press,

      > some
      > > > code

    • splemmon
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 17, 2005
        Piotr,

        Appreciate your assistance... though I've found plenty of other bugs
        that can keep you busy during the holidays ;-)

        As for the ComboBox anomalies, I've noticed in my application that
        class "ComboBox (Unicode)", which is a part of the Windows Form
        SaveFileDialog .NET component (specifically the file extension
        selection), exhibits the problem, whereas those of
        class "WindowsForms10.COMBOBOX.app3" do not. Perhaps this may provide
        a clue to identify where the trouble lies.

        Regards,

        Steve

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 19, 2005
          I checked that.
          You are right. The problem exists. I don't know why to be honest.
          Steven's workaround is the only one which comes to my mind at the
          moment. In case of the printer driver, you can just type "2" instead
          of appropriate number of down arrows.
          Steven, do you have the source code to the application you are talking
          about?

          --Piotr

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 21, 2005
            I believe I know the reason of problems.
            I am not 100% sure that the explanation given below is correct, but
            at least it is not contradictory with my observations.

            Application can be informed about new selection in a combo box by
            several events/notifications. One of such events is CBN_SELCHANGE.
            However, not every application uses this event and Microsoft does not
            recommend it. This is what they say:

            "A drop-down combo box or drop-down list box sends the CBN_CLOSEUP
            notification to the parent window or dialog-box procedure when the
            drop-down list closes. If the user changed the current selection, the
            combo box also sends the CBN_SELCHANGE notification when the drop-
            down list closes. To execute a specific process each time the user
            selects a list item, you can handle either the CBN_SELCHANGE or
            CBN_CLOSEUP notification message. Typically, you would wait for the
            CBN_CLOSEUP notification before processing a change in the current
            selection. This can be particularly important if a significant amount
            of processing is required. "

            So it seams that some applications watch for CBN_CLOSEUP, which is
            generated when a list of combo box is closed. They probably also
            check keyboard events. That's why SendKeys solution works.

            Let's have a look at the code (last few lines from the "printing
            preferences" example). In the light of facts given above, the
            following does not work:

            SelComboString($hnd, "2");
            PushButton( "^OK" );

            It is because only CBN_SELCHANGE event is generated.

            But if you do this:

            SendMessage( $hnd, 0x014F, 1, 0 );
            SelComboString($hnd, "2");
            PushButton( "^OK" );

            This magic SendMessage sends 0x014F which is CB_SHOWDROPDOWN which
            shows a list box of a combo box. Then you select a value
            (SelComboString) and you PushButton, which causes that a window is
            closed and list box of a combo box is closed which generates
            CBN_CLOSEUP.

            This problem brings some bigger issue. To which extent we should be
            smart and use sophisticated features of controls to set their values?
            Using mouse clicks or SendKeys seems less clean, but it is much more
            safe, since it generates all expected side effects.

            I think that in case of combo box, we should implement the function,
            which does a following:
            It opens a list, selects an item and clicks on it.

            --Piotr

            wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > --Piotr
            > >

            > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "splemmon"
            <steve_lemmon@h...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and
            > > SelComboString
            > > > functions while automating my application. I found that the
            > > selected
            > > > item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not
            saved
            > > > after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would
            be
            > > > saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
            > > > selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.
            > > >
            > > > My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
            > > > correct number of down arrows:
            > > >
            > > > SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
            > > > SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );

          • splemmon
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 22, 2005
              Hi Piotr,

              I can confirm your workaround for both SelComboString and
              SelComboItemText functions. However I wonder if it is the lack of
              CBN_SELCHANGE message that is the culprit, not CBN_CLOSEUP.

              From the MS documentation it states that CBN_SELCHANGE is *not* sent
              when the selection is changed via the CB_SETCURSEL message:

              "When the user changes the current selection in a combo box, the
              parent window or dialog-box procedure receives a WM_COMMAND message
              with the notification message CBN_SELCHANGE in the high-order word
              of the wParam parameter. This notification message is not sent when
              the current selection is set using the CB_SETCURSEL message."

              Looking at the SelComboItemText function code below, I see that it
              uses the CB_SETCURSEL message to select the item which would imply
              that CBN_SELCHANGE is not sent to the application.

              RETVAL = (SendMessage(hWnd, CB_SETCURSEL, i, 0) != CB_ERR);

              Agreed that although mouse clicks and SendKeys generate all side
              effects that a user would encounter, my preference is to avoid using
              them whenever possible to avoid forcing the application under test to
              the foreground.

              Regards,

              Steve

            • oohay1_2005
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 22, 2005
                I've also confirmed that:
                SendMessage( $hnd, 0x014F, 1, 0 );
                will work for some comboboxes but not others. It seems like all
                comboboxes that also alters some bitmap on gui does not work.
                Is there any other tricks that can resolve this?

                Sendkey will work in most cases, but when a combobox have the same
                word as the first string, eg:
                "Type 1"
                "Type 2"
                "Type 3"
                ... it would require sending additional keys; which might become
                inaccurate if focus is accidentally not on correct handle...

                Is there a link where I can search for additional info on
                SendMessage's flags/paramenters, similar to the flag 0x014F?

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 23, 2005
                  SelComboItemText uses CB_SETCURSEL, but SelComboString uses
                  CB_SELECTSTRING which does trigger CBN_SELCHANGE.
                  As for forcing application to the foreground. I agree that it looks
                  more elegant if you can just order GUI tests and have them done in
                  the background. However, I have heard that even commercial tools'
                  vendors recommend not to do anything when gui test is running.
                  Secondly, moving to foreground is an event with side effects and you
                  never know how application under test handles that. Interaction with
                  human user always involves moving to foreground, so I think it is
                  much more safer to push stuff to the foreground and just leave the PC
                  alone.
                  But this is only my personal opinion....

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 23, 2005
                    Goto to msdn.microsoft.com and then
                    MSDN Library > Win32 and COM Development > User Interface >
                    Windows Shell > Windows Controls > Individual Control Information
                    > ComboBox Controls >

                    --Piotr