Re: WMSetText to '#32770' dialog then PushChildButton OK, windows send default v

  • splemmon
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 14, 2005
      I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and SelComboString
      functions while automating my application. I found that the selected
      item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not saved
      after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would be
      saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
      selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.

      My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
      correct number of down arrows:

      SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
      SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );

      Regards,

      Steve

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005" <oohay1_2005@y...>
      wrote:

      > anyone has any idea why WMSetText and SelCombo* are not working
      > (value/setting not stick) with class 32770 dialogs or how to resolve
      > the issue? thanks.
      >
      > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "lmarlin" <lmarlin@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > This example may help - even if it's imperfect (see header notes
      > > # The goal of this example is to open
      > > # the Printing Preferences window for a printer,
      > > # sets the Landscape option and number of pages per page
      preference
      > > # and then Apply
      > > # and OK
      > >
      > > # when you check the settings after it is done,
      > > # you see that the Landscape setting is in effect,
      > > # but the number of pages is still 1
      > >
      > > # Why doesn't the number of pages get set to 2 and "stick"?
      > >
      > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
      > > use strict;
      > >
      > > my $WinCaption = "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6";
      > > my $MessageClass = "PrintUI_PrinterQueue";
      > >
      > > my @whnds = FindWindowLike( 0, $WinCaption, $MessageClass );
      > > #
      > > # want only one window in response to the search
      > > #
      > > if ( !( scalar @whnds == 1 && IsWindow($whnds[0])) )
      > > {
      > > die "No Printer Window (or too many)";
      > > }
      > >
      > > SetForegroundWindow ($whnds[0]);
      > > sleep 1;
      > >
      > > SendKeys("%pf"); # Send keystrokes to access
      Printing
      > > Preferences window
      > > sleep 1;
      > >
      > > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6
      Printing
      > > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      > >
      > > #
      > > # Find the Layout tab
      > > #
      > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      > > printf( "Layout: %x\n", $hnd);
      > > PushChildButton ($hnd, "^&Landscape");
      > >
      > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd, undef, "^ComboBox",
      > > undef, undef, 2 );
      > > printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);
      > >
      > > # SelComboString($hnd, "2");
      > > SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");
      > >
      > > sleep 2;
      > >
      > > PushButton ("^&Apply");
      > >
      > > sleep 2;
      > >
      > > PushButton ("^OK");
      > >
      > > Fish
      > >

      > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
      <oohay1_2005@y...>

      > > > question: In the example below, if button OK was not found then
      > > dialog
      > > > would not closed, correct? But, dialog does closed.

      > > > neither method works; it just happen to be the last method
      tried.

      > > > The actual #32770 class I was after is McAfee On-Access
      Properties,
      > > > but it's not common, so installing HP Color LaserJet PS driver
      > > should
      > > > be easier to work with.
      > > >

      > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski"

      PS" ....)

      > > code it

      undef,
      > > 2 );

      > > (which

      > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

      > > gui
      > > preference
      > > window

      > > undef,
      Printing

      undef, "^ComboBox",

      > > per
      WMSetText,
      > > value
      PushButton/PushChildButton.

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 15, 2005
        OK.
        Guys, I will try to find some time to have a look at it. It is close
        to christmass so... well, you know :-). But I will try...

        --Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "splemmon" <steve_lemmon@h...>
        wrote:

        > I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and
        SelComboString
        > functions while automating my application. I found that the
        selected
        > item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not saved
        > after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would be
        > saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
        > selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.
        >
        > My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
        > correct number of down arrows:
        >
        > SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
        > SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
        <oohay1_2005@y...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > anyone has any idea why WMSetText and SelCombo* are not working
        > > (value/setting not stick) with class 32770 dialogs or how to
        resolve
        > > the issue? thanks.
        > >
        > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "lmarlin" <lmarlin@y...>
        wrote:

        > > > This example may help - even if it's imperfect (see header notes

        > > > # The goal of this example is to open
        > > > # the Printing Preferences window for a printer,
        > > > # sets the Landscape option and number of pages per page
        > preference
        > > > # and then Apply
        > > > # and OK
        > > >
        > > > # when you check the settings after it is done,
        > > > # you see that the Landscape setting is in effect,
        > > > # but the number of pages is still 1
        > > >
        > > > # Why doesn't the number of pages get set to 2 and "stick"?
        > > >
        > > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
        > > > use strict;
        > > >
        > > > my $WinCaption = "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6";
        > > > my $MessageClass = "PrintUI_PrinterQueue";
        > > >
        > > > my @whnds = FindWindowLike( 0, $WinCaption, $MessageClass );
        > > > #
        > > > # want only one window in response to the search
        > > > #
        > > > if ( !( scalar @whnds == 1 && IsWindow($whnds[0])) )
        > > > {
        > > > die "No Printer Window (or too many)";
        > > > }
        > > >
        > > > SetForegroundWindow ($whnds[0]);
        > > > sleep 1;
        > > >
        > > > SendKeys("%pf"); # Send keystrokes to access
        > Printing
        > > > Preferences window
        > > > sleep 1;
        > > >
        > > > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6
        > Printing
        > > > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
        > > >
        > > > #
        > > > # Find the Layout tab
        > > > #
        > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
        > > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
        > > > printf( "Layout: %x\n", $hnd);
        > > > PushChildButton ($hnd, "^&Landscape");
        > > >
        > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
        > > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
        > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd,
        undef, "^ComboBox",
        > > > undef, undef, 2 );
        > > > printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);
        > > >
        > > > # SelComboString($hnd, "2");
        > > > SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");
        > > >
        > > > sleep 2;
        > > >
        > > > PushButton ("^&Apply");
        > > >
        > > > sleep 2;
        > > >
        > > > PushButton ("^OK");
        > > >
        > > > Fish
        > > >

        > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
        > <oohay1_2005@y...>

        > beginning
        > > > dialog

        > tried.

        > Properties,
        > > > should

        > PS" ....)

        > > > code it

        > undef,
        > > > 2 );

        > > > (which
        > before).

        > beginning

        > > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

        > sample
        > > > gui
        > > > preference
        > with
        > > > window

        PS",
        > > > undef,
        > Printing

        > undef, "^ComboBox",

        > pages
        > > > per
        > WMSetText,
        > > > value
        > PushButton/PushChildButton.

        > > > <pkaluski@p...>

        > press,

        > some
        > > > code

      • splemmon
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 17, 2005
          Piotr,

          Appreciate your assistance... though I've found plenty of other bugs
          that can keep you busy during the holidays ;-)

          As for the ComboBox anomalies, I've noticed in my application that
          class "ComboBox (Unicode)", which is a part of the Windows Form
          SaveFileDialog .NET component (specifically the file extension
          selection), exhibits the problem, whereas those of
          class "WindowsForms10.COMBOBOX.app3" do not. Perhaps this may provide
          a clue to identify where the trouble lies.

          Regards,

          Steve

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 19, 2005
            I checked that.
            You are right. The problem exists. I don't know why to be honest.
            Steven's workaround is the only one which comes to my mind at the
            moment. In case of the printer driver, you can just type "2" instead
            of appropriate number of down arrows.
            Steven, do you have the source code to the application you are talking
            about?

            --Piotr

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 21, 2005
              I believe I know the reason of problems.
              I am not 100% sure that the explanation given below is correct, but
              at least it is not contradictory with my observations.

              Application can be informed about new selection in a combo box by
              several events/notifications. One of such events is CBN_SELCHANGE.
              However, not every application uses this event and Microsoft does not
              recommend it. This is what they say:

              "A drop-down combo box or drop-down list box sends the CBN_CLOSEUP
              notification to the parent window or dialog-box procedure when the
              drop-down list closes. If the user changed the current selection, the
              combo box also sends the CBN_SELCHANGE notification when the drop-
              down list closes. To execute a specific process each time the user
              selects a list item, you can handle either the CBN_SELCHANGE or
              CBN_CLOSEUP notification message. Typically, you would wait for the
              CBN_CLOSEUP notification before processing a change in the current
              selection. This can be particularly important if a significant amount
              of processing is required. "

              So it seams that some applications watch for CBN_CLOSEUP, which is
              generated when a list of combo box is closed. They probably also
              check keyboard events. That's why SendKeys solution works.

              Let's have a look at the code (last few lines from the "printing
              preferences" example). In the light of facts given above, the
              following does not work:

              SelComboString($hnd, "2");
              PushButton( "^OK" );

              It is because only CBN_SELCHANGE event is generated.

              But if you do this:

              SendMessage( $hnd, 0x014F, 1, 0 );
              SelComboString($hnd, "2");
              PushButton( "^OK" );

              This magic SendMessage sends 0x014F which is CB_SHOWDROPDOWN which
              shows a list box of a combo box. Then you select a value
              (SelComboString) and you PushButton, which causes that a window is
              closed and list box of a combo box is closed which generates
              CBN_CLOSEUP.

              This problem brings some bigger issue. To which extent we should be
              smart and use sophisticated features of controls to set their values?
              Using mouse clicks or SendKeys seems less clean, but it is much more
              safe, since it generates all expected side effects.

              I think that in case of combo box, we should implement the function,
              which does a following:
              It opens a list, selects an item and clicks on it.

              --Piotr

              wrote:

              > I checked that.
              > You are right. The problem exists. I don't know why to be honest.
              > Steven's workaround is the only one which comes to my mind at the
              > moment. In case of the printer driver, you can just type "2" instead
              > of appropriate number of down arrows.
              > Steven, do you have the source code to the application you are
              talking
              > about?
              >
              > --Piotr
              >

              > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...>
              wrote:

              > > OK.
              > > Guys, I will try to find some time to have a look at it. It is
              close
              > > to christmass so... well, you know :-). But I will try...
              > >
              > > --Piotr
              > >

              > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "splemmon"
              <steve_lemmon@h...>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and
              > > SelComboString
              > > > functions while automating my application. I found that the
              > > selected
              > > > item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not
              saved
              > > > after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would
              be
              > > > saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
              > > > selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.
              > > >
              > > > My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
              > > > correct number of down arrows:
              > > >
              > > > SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
              > > > SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );
              > > >
              > > > Regards,
              > > >
              > > > Steve
              > > >
              > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
              > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

              > > resolve

              > > > preference

              > > > Printing

              > > > Printing

              > > undef, "^ComboBox",

              > > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

              > > > beginning
              > > then

              > > > tried.

              > > > Properties,
              > > driver

              > > reason.

              > > > PS" ....)

              > > your

              Printing
              > > > undef,

              > > handle
              > > > before).

              > > > beginning

              > > > sample
              > > > with

              > > present:

              LaserJet
              > > PS",
              LaserJet PS
              > > > Printing

              > > > undef, "^ComboBox",

              > > > pages
              > > > WMSetText,
              > > > PushButton/PushChildButton.

              > > > press,

              > > > some

            • splemmon
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 22, 2005
                Hi Piotr,

                I can confirm your workaround for both SelComboString and
                SelComboItemText functions. However I wonder if it is the lack of
                CBN_SELCHANGE message that is the culprit, not CBN_CLOSEUP.

                From the MS documentation it states that CBN_SELCHANGE is *not* sent
                when the selection is changed via the CB_SETCURSEL message:

                "When the user changes the current selection in a combo box, the
                parent window or dialog-box procedure receives a WM_COMMAND message
                with the notification message CBN_SELCHANGE in the high-order word
                of the wParam parameter. This notification message is not sent when
                the current selection is set using the CB_SETCURSEL message."

                Looking at the SelComboItemText function code below, I see that it
                uses the CB_SETCURSEL message to select the item which would imply
                that CBN_SELCHANGE is not sent to the application.

                RETVAL = (SendMessage(hWnd, CB_SETCURSEL, i, 0) != CB_ERR);

                Agreed that although mouse clicks and SendKeys generate all side
                effects that a user would encounter, my preference is to avoid using
                them whenever possible to avoid forcing the application under test to
                the foreground.

                Regards,

                Steve

              • oohay1_2005
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 22, 2005
                  I've also confirmed that:
                  SendMessage( $hnd, 0x014F, 1, 0 );
                  will work for some comboboxes but not others. It seems like all
                  comboboxes that also alters some bitmap on gui does not work.
                  Is there any other tricks that can resolve this?

                  Sendkey will work in most cases, but when a combobox have the same
                  word as the first string, eg:
                  "Type 1"
                  "Type 2"
                  "Type 3"
                  ... it would require sending additional keys; which might become
                  inaccurate if focus is accidentally not on correct handle...

                  Is there a link where I can search for additional info on
                  SendMessage's flags/paramenters, similar to the flag 0x014F?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 23, 2005
                    SelComboItemText uses CB_SETCURSEL, but SelComboString uses
                    CB_SELECTSTRING which does trigger CBN_SELCHANGE.
                    As for forcing application to the foreground. I agree that it looks
                    more elegant if you can just order GUI tests and have them done in
                    the background. However, I have heard that even commercial tools'
                    vendors recommend not to do anything when gui test is running.
                    Secondly, moving to foreground is an event with side effects and you
                    never know how application under test handles that. Interaction with
                    human user always involves moving to foreground, so I think it is
                    much more safer to push stuff to the foreground and just leave the PC
                    alone.
                    But this is only my personal opinion....

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 23, 2005
                      Goto to msdn.microsoft.com and then
                      MSDN Library > Win32 and COM Development > User Interface >
                      Windows Shell > Windows Controls > Individual Control Information
                      > ComboBox Controls >

                      --Piotr