Re: WMSetText to '#32770' dialog then PushChildButton OK, windows send default v

  • oohay1_2005
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 9, 2005
      anyone has any idea why WMSetText and SelCombo* are not working
      (value/setting not stick) with class 32770 dialogs or how to resolve
      the issue? thanks.

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "lmarlin" <lmarlin@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      > #
      > # want only one window in response to the search
      > #
      > if ( !( scalar @whnds == 1 && IsWindow($whnds[0])) )
      > {
      > die "No Printer Window (or too many)";
      > }
      >
      > SetForegroundWindow ($whnds[0]);
      > sleep 1;
      >
      > SendKeys("%pf"); # Send keystrokes to access Printing
      > Preferences window
      > sleep 1;
      >
      > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6 Printing
      > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      >
      > #
      > # Find the Layout tab
      > #
      > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      > printf( "Layout: %x\n", $hnd);
      > PushChildButton ($hnd, "^&Landscape");
      >
      > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd, undef, "^ComboBox",
      > undef, undef, 2 );
      > printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);
      >
      > # SelComboString($hnd, "2");
      > SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");
      >
      > sleep 2;
      >
      > PushButton ("^&Apply");
      >
      > sleep 2;
      >
      > PushButton ("^OK");
      >
      > Fish
      >

      > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005" <oohay1_2005@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > > Also, check that there is no other button with caption beginning
      > > > with "OK"
      > > question: In the example below, if button OK was not found then
      > dialog
      > > would not closed, correct? But, dialog does closed.
      > >
      > > > And why have you chosen to use SelComboItemText instead of
      > > > SelComboString?
      > > neither method works; it just happen to be the last method tried.
      > >
      > > The actual #32770 class I was after is McAfee On-Access Properties,
      > > but it's not common, so installing HP Color LaserJet PS driver
      > should
      > > be easier to work with.
      > >

      > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski"
      > <pkaluski@p...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > There are some mistakes in your code. Maybe that's the reason.
      > > >
      > > > my @whnds = WaitWindowLike( undef, "^HP Color LaserJet PS" ....)
      > > >
      > > > WaitWindowLike returns scalar value, not a list (but in your
      > code it
      > > > should work)
      > > >
      > > > More important thing:
      > > >
      > > > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP Color LaserJet PS Printing
      > > > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef,
      > 2 );
      > > >
      > > > First parameter expected by WaitWindowLike is a parent handle
      > (which
      > > > I asume you know, since you used the function correctly before).
      > > >
      > > > Also, check that there is no other button with caption beginning
      > > > with "OK"
      > > >
      > > > And why have you chosen to use SelComboItemText instead of

    • splemmon
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 14, 2005
        I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and SelComboString
        functions while automating my application. I found that the selected
        item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not saved
        after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would be
        saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
        selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.

        My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
        correct number of down arrows:

        SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
        SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );

        Regards,

        Steve

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd, undef, "^ComboBox",
        > > undef, undef, 2 );
        > > printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);
        > >
        > > # SelComboString($hnd, "2");
        > > SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");
        > >
        > > sleep 2;
        > >
        > > PushButton ("^&Apply");
        > >
        > > sleep 2;
        > >
        > > PushButton ("^OK");
        > >
        > > Fish
        > >

        > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
        <oohay1_2005@y...>

        > > > question: In the example below, if button OK was not found then
        > > dialog
        > > > would not closed, correct? But, dialog does closed.

        > > > neither method works; it just happen to be the last method
        tried.

        > > > The actual #32770 class I was after is McAfee On-Access
        Properties,
        > > > but it's not common, so installing HP Color LaserJet PS driver

        undef, "^ComboBox",

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 15, 2005
          OK.
          Guys, I will try to find some time to have a look at it. It is close
          to christmass so... well, you know :-). But I will try...

          --Piotr

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "splemmon" <steve_lemmon@h...>
          wrote:

          > I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and
          SelComboString
          > functions while automating my application. I found that the
          selected
          > item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not saved
          > after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would be
          > saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
          > selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.
          >
          > My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
          > correct number of down arrows:
          >
          > SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
          > SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
          <oohay1_2005@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > anyone has any idea why WMSetText and SelCombo* are not working
          > > (value/setting not stick) with class 32770 dialogs or how to
          resolve
          > > the issue? thanks.
          > >
          > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "lmarlin" <lmarlin@y...>
          wrote:

          > > > This example may help - even if it's imperfect (see header notes

          > > > # The goal of this example is to open
          > > > # the Printing Preferences window for a printer,
          > > > # sets the Landscape option and number of pages per page
          > preference
          > > > # and then Apply
          > > > # and OK
          > > >
          > > > # when you check the settings after it is done,
          > > > # you see that the Landscape setting is in effect,
          > > > # but the number of pages is still 1
          > > >
          > > > # Why doesn't the number of pages get set to 2 and "stick"?
          > > >
          > > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
          > > > use strict;
          > > >
          > > > my $WinCaption = "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6";
          > > > my $MessageClass = "PrintUI_PrinterQueue";
          > > >
          > > > my @whnds = FindWindowLike( 0, $WinCaption, $MessageClass );
          > > > #
          > > > # want only one window in response to the search
          > > > #
          > > > if ( !( scalar @whnds == 1 && IsWindow($whnds[0])) )
          > > > {
          > > > die "No Printer Window (or too many)";
          > > > }
          > > >
          > > > SetForegroundWindow ($whnds[0]);
          > > > sleep 1;
          > > >
          > > > SendKeys("%pf"); # Send keystrokes to access
          > Printing
          > > > Preferences window
          > > > sleep 1;
          > > >
          > > > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6
          > Printing
          > > > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
          > > >
          > > > #
          > > > # Find the Layout tab
          > > > #
          > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
          > > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
          > > > printf( "Layout: %x\n", $hnd);
          > > > PushChildButton ($hnd, "^&Landscape");
          > > >
          > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
          > > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
          > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd,
          undef, "^ComboBox",
          > > > undef, undef, 2 );
          > > > printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);
          > > >
          > > > # SelComboString($hnd, "2");
          > > > SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");
          > > >
          > > > sleep 2;
          > > >
          > > > PushButton ("^&Apply");
          > > >
          > > > sleep 2;
          > > >
          > > > PushButton ("^OK");
          > > >
          > > > Fish
          > > >

          > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
          > <oohay1_2005@y...>

          > beginning
          > > > dialog

          > tried.

          > Properties,
          > > > should

          > PS" ....)

          > > > code it

          > undef,
          > > > 2 );

          > > > (which
          > before).

          > beginning

          > > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

          > sample
          > > > gui
          > > > preference
          > with
          > > > window

          PS",
          > > > undef,
          > Printing

          > undef, "^ComboBox",

          > pages
          > > > per
          > WMSetText,
          > > > value
          > PushButton/PushChildButton.

          > > > <pkaluski@p...>

          > press,

          > some
          > > > code

        • splemmon
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 17, 2005
            Piotr,

            Appreciate your assistance... though I've found plenty of other bugs
            that can keep you busy during the holidays ;-)

            As for the ComboBox anomalies, I've noticed in my application that
            class "ComboBox (Unicode)", which is a part of the Windows Form
            SaveFileDialog .NET component (specifically the file extension
            selection), exhibits the problem, whereas those of
            class "WindowsForms10.COMBOBOX.app3" do not. Perhaps this may provide
            a clue to identify where the trouble lies.

            Regards,

            Steve

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 19, 2005
              I checked that.
              You are right. The problem exists. I don't know why to be honest.
              Steven's workaround is the only one which comes to my mind at the
              moment. In case of the printer driver, you can just type "2" instead
              of appropriate number of down arrows.
              Steven, do you have the source code to the application you are talking
              about?

              --Piotr

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 21, 2005
                I believe I know the reason of problems.
                I am not 100% sure that the explanation given below is correct, but
                at least it is not contradictory with my observations.

                Application can be informed about new selection in a combo box by
                several events/notifications. One of such events is CBN_SELCHANGE.
                However, not every application uses this event and Microsoft does not
                recommend it. This is what they say:

                "A drop-down combo box or drop-down list box sends the CBN_CLOSEUP
                notification to the parent window or dialog-box procedure when the
                drop-down list closes. If the user changed the current selection, the
                combo box also sends the CBN_SELCHANGE notification when the drop-
                down list closes. To execute a specific process each time the user
                selects a list item, you can handle either the CBN_SELCHANGE or
                CBN_CLOSEUP notification message. Typically, you would wait for the
                CBN_CLOSEUP notification before processing a change in the current
                selection. This can be particularly important if a significant amount
                of processing is required. "

                So it seams that some applications watch for CBN_CLOSEUP, which is
                generated when a list of combo box is closed. They probably also
                check keyboard events. That's why SendKeys solution works.

                Let's have a look at the code (last few lines from the "printing
                preferences" example). In the light of facts given above, the
                following does not work:

                SelComboString($hnd, "2");
                PushButton( "^OK" );

                It is because only CBN_SELCHANGE event is generated.

                But if you do this:

                SendMessage( $hnd, 0x014F, 1, 0 );
                SelComboString($hnd, "2");
                PushButton( "^OK" );

                This magic SendMessage sends 0x014F which is CB_SHOWDROPDOWN which
                shows a list box of a combo box. Then you select a value
                (SelComboString) and you PushButton, which causes that a window is
                closed and list box of a combo box is closed which generates
                CBN_CLOSEUP.

                This problem brings some bigger issue. To which extent we should be
                smart and use sophisticated features of controls to set their values?
                Using mouse clicks or SendKeys seems less clean, but it is much more
                safe, since it generates all expected side effects.

                I think that in case of combo box, we should implement the function,
                which does a following:
                It opens a list, selects an item and clicks on it.

                --Piotr

                wrote:

                > I checked that.
                > You are right. The problem exists. I don't know why to be honest.
                > Steven's workaround is the only one which comes to my mind at the
                > moment. In case of the printer driver, you can just type "2" instead
                > of appropriate number of down arrows.
                > Steven, do you have the source code to the application you are
                talking
                > about?
                >
                > --Piotr
                >

                > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...>
                wrote:

                > > OK.
                > > Guys, I will try to find some time to have a look at it. It is
                close
                > > to christmass so... well, you know :-). But I will try...
                > >
                > > --Piotr
                > >

                > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "splemmon"
                <steve_lemmon@h...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and
                > > SelComboString
                > > > functions while automating my application. I found that the
                > > selected
                > > > item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not
                saved
                > > > after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would
                be
                > > > saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
                > > > selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.
                > > >
                > > > My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
                > > > correct number of down arrows:
                > > >
                > > > SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
                > > > SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );
                > > >
                > > > Regards,
                > > >
                > > > Steve
                > > >
                > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
                > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

                > > resolve

                > > > preference

                > > > Printing

                > > > Printing

                > > undef, "^ComboBox",

                > > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

                > > > beginning
                > > then

                > > > tried.

                > > > Properties,
                > > driver

                > > reason.

                > > > PS" ....)

                > > your

                Printing
                > > > undef,

                > > handle
                > > > before).

                > > > beginning

                > > > sample
                > > > with

                > > present:

                LaserJet
                > > PS",
                LaserJet PS
                > > > Printing

                > > > undef, "^ComboBox",

                > > > pages
                > > > WMSetText,
                > > > PushButton/PushChildButton.

                > > > press,

                > > > some

              • splemmon
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 22, 2005
                  Hi Piotr,

                  I can confirm your workaround for both SelComboString and
                  SelComboItemText functions. However I wonder if it is the lack of
                  CBN_SELCHANGE message that is the culprit, not CBN_CLOSEUP.

                  From the MS documentation it states that CBN_SELCHANGE is *not* sent
                  when the selection is changed via the CB_SETCURSEL message:

                  "When the user changes the current selection in a combo box, the
                  parent window or dialog-box procedure receives a WM_COMMAND message
                  with the notification message CBN_SELCHANGE in the high-order word
                  of the wParam parameter. This notification message is not sent when
                  the current selection is set using the CB_SETCURSEL message."

                  Looking at the SelComboItemText function code below, I see that it
                  uses the CB_SETCURSEL message to select the item which would imply
                  that CBN_SELCHANGE is not sent to the application.

                  RETVAL = (SendMessage(hWnd, CB_SETCURSEL, i, 0) != CB_ERR);

                  Agreed that although mouse clicks and SendKeys generate all side
                  effects that a user would encounter, my preference is to avoid using
                  them whenever possible to avoid forcing the application under test to
                  the foreground.

                  Regards,

                  Steve

                • oohay1_2005
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 22, 2005
                    I've also confirmed that:
                    SendMessage( $hnd, 0x014F, 1, 0 );
                    will work for some comboboxes but not others. It seems like all
                    comboboxes that also alters some bitmap on gui does not work.
                    Is there any other tricks that can resolve this?

                    Sendkey will work in most cases, but when a combobox have the same
                    word as the first string, eg:
                    "Type 1"
                    "Type 2"
                    "Type 3"
                    ... it would require sending additional keys; which might become
                    inaccurate if focus is accidentally not on correct handle...

                    Is there a link where I can search for additional info on
                    SendMessage's flags/paramenters, similar to the flag 0x014F?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 23, 2005
                      SelComboItemText uses CB_SETCURSEL, but SelComboString uses
                      CB_SELECTSTRING which does trigger CBN_SELCHANGE.
                      As for forcing application to the foreground. I agree that it looks
                      more elegant if you can just order GUI tests and have them done in
                      the background. However, I have heard that even commercial tools'
                      vendors recommend not to do anything when gui test is running.
                      Secondly, moving to foreground is an event with side effects and you
                      never know how application under test handles that. Interaction with
                      human user always involves moving to foreground, so I think it is
                      much more safer to push stuff to the foreground and just leave the PC
                      alone.
                      But this is only my personal opinion....

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 23, 2005
                        Goto to msdn.microsoft.com and then
                        MSDN Library > Win32 and COM Development > User Interface >
                        Windows Shell > Windows Controls > Individual Control Information
                        > ComboBox Controls >

                        --Piotr