Re: Using SendKeys- Simulate or Double mouse Click

  • markmontemuro
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 4, 2005
      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...>
      wrote:

      > In order to emulate Shift, you have to use '+' (rather then
      {SHIFT}).

      > --Piotr
      >
      > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "markmontemuro" <montemur@s...>
      wrote:

      > > I'm trying to simulate using SendKeys to highlight text on an
      entry
      > > box. I use SendKeys("{HOME"); to mark the beginning of the text
      and
      > > then I tried SendKeys("{SHIFT}{END}"); to highlight the text and
      only
      > > the END action seems to happen. I also tried
      > > SendKeys("{HOME}{SHIFT}{END}{DELETE}"); The curser moved from
      beginning
      > > to end, but the text is not highlighted.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions?
      > >

      > > I am also trying to simulate a double mouse click. Any
      suggestions?

      What would your syntax be? I still can't get this to work with the +.
      This is actually updating a perl TK Entry field. I can use the HOME,
      SHIFT HOME key sequence from the keyboard, so I'm hoping I can do
      this from GUITEST.
    • rmqa_group
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 7, 2005
        Try:

        SendKeys("{HOME}+({END}){DELETE}");

        I'm not sure the braces around {END} are strictly necessary, but I've
        run into problems with SendKeys seemingly not releasing a modifier
        key if the braces aren't used. Alternatively, separate the components
        out into three SendKeys calls...

        DH

        wrote:

        > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > In order to emulate Shift, you have to use '+' (rather then
        > {SHIFT}).
        > >
        > > --Piotr
        > >
        > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "markmontemuro"
        <montemur@s...>
        > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I'm trying to simulate using SendKeys to highlight text on an
        > entry
        > > > box. I use SendKeys("{HOME"); to mark the beginning of the text
        > and
        > > > then I tried SendKeys("{SHIFT}{END}"); to highlight the text
        and
        > only
        > > > the END action seems to happen. I also tried
        > > > SendKeys("{HOME}{SHIFT}{END}{DELETE}"); The curser moved from
        > beginning
        > > > to end, but the text is not highlighted.
        > > >
        > > > Any suggestions?
        > > >

        > > > I am also trying to simulate a double mouse click. Any
        > suggestions?
        > > >

        > What would your syntax be? I still can't get this to work with the
        +.
        > This is actually updating a perl TK Entry field. I can use the
        HOME,
        > SHIFT HOME key sequence from the keyboard, so I'm hoping I can do
        > this from GUITEST.

      • markmontemuro
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 7, 2005
          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "rmqa_group" <rmqa_group@y...>
          wrote:

          > Try:
          >
          > SendKeys("{HOME}+({END}){DELETE}");
          >
          > I'm not sure the braces around {END} are strictly necessary, but
          I've
          > run into problems with SendKeys seemingly not releasing a modifier
          > key if the braces aren't used. Alternatively, separate the
          components
          > out into three SendKeys calls...
          >
          > DH
          >

          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "markmontemuro" <montemur@s...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski"
          <pkaluski@p...>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > In order to emulate Shift, you have to use '+' (rather then
          > > {SHIFT}).
          > > >
          > > > --Piotr
          > > >
          > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "markmontemuro"
          > <montemur@s...>

          > > entry
          > > and
          > and
          > > only
          > > beginning

          > > suggestions?
          > > > >

          > > What would your syntax be? I still can't get this to work with
          the
          > +.
          > > This is actually updating a perl TK Entry field. I can use the
          > HOME,
          > > SHIFT HOME key sequence from the keyboard, so I'm hoping I can do
          > > this from GUITEST.

          Here is a simple program which shows the problem. When the highlight
          button is selected, the curser just goes to the end of the text. The
          text is not highlighted. Any suggestions?

          use Tk;
          use Win32::GuiTest qw(SendKeys );

          my $mw = MainWindow->new;

          my $e = $mw->Entry->pack;
          $e->insert(0, "Test String");

          my $f = $mw->Frame->pack;

          $f->Button(
          -text => "Highlight",
          -command => [\&highlight, $e]
          )->pack(-side => 'left');

          MainLoop;

          sub highlight
          {
          my $e = shift;
          $e->focusForce;
          SendKeys("{HOME}+({END}) {DELETE}");
          }
        • rmqa_group
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 9, 2005
            Hmmm, strange.

            The "+" (shift) modifier doesn't seem to work with either {HOME} or
            {END}. I've not had need to use it in this combination, though +{TAB}
            seems to work as expected.

            It also seems to "jam" the shift key, as switching to another
            application after the script, you may find the shift still engaged.

            You may have to resort to using the SendRawKey function instead...

            DH

            > Here is a simple program which shows the problem. When the
            highlight
            > button is selected, the curser just goes to the end of the text.
            The
            > text is not highlighted. Any suggestions?
            >
            > use Tk;
            > use Win32::GuiTest qw(SendKeys );
            >
            > my $mw = MainWindow->new;
            >
            > my $e = $mw->Entry->pack;
            > $e->insert(0, "Test String");
            >
            > my $f = $mw->Frame->pack;
            >
            > $f->Button(
            > -text => "Highlight",
            > -command => [\&highlight, $e]
            > )->pack(-side => 'left');
            >
            > MainLoop;
            >
            > sub highlight
            > {
            > my $e = shift;
            > $e->focusForce;
            > SendKeys("{HOME}+({END}) {DELETE}");
            > }

          • Abhishek Singh
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 14, 2005
              Hi Guys

              Is there any method through which we can schedule a service (that can be restarted in every 30 minutes) running on Wndows 2000 Professional.

              Regards

              Abhishek

            • tobin_cataldo
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 9, 2006
                Has anybody found a solution to this without using SendRawKey?

                SendKeys("+({DOWN 100})");
                and{PGDN} jam the shift as well, without actually highlighting.

                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "rmqa_group" <rmqa_group@...> wrote:

                > Hmmm, strange.
                >
                > The "+" (shift) modifier doesn't seem to work with either {HOME} or
                > {END}. I've not had need to use it in this combination, though +{TAB}
                > seems to work as expected.
                >
                > It also seems to "jam" the shift key, as switching to another
                > application after the script, you may find the shift still engaged.
                >
                > You may have to resort to using the SendRawKey function instead...
                >
                > DH
                >
                > > Here is a simple program which shows the problem. When the
                > highlight
                > > button is selected, the curser just goes to the end of the text.
                > The
                > > text is not highlighted. Any suggestions?
                > >
                > > use Tk;
                > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(SendKeys );
                > >
                > > my $mw = MainWindow->new;
                > >
                > > my $e = $mw->Entry->pack;
                > > $e->insert(0, "Test String");
                > >
                > > my $f = $mw->Frame->pack;
                > >
                > > $f->Button(
                > > -text => "Highlight",
                > > -command => [\&highlight, $e]
                > > )->pack(-side => 'left');
                > >
                > > MainLoop;
                > >
                > > sub highlight
                > > {
                > > my $e = shift;
                > > $e->focusForce;
                > > SendKeys("{HOME}+({END}) {DELETE}");
                > > }

              • brentje
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 28, 2006
                  I think I have an explaination at least...

                  Been checking out the GuiTest.XS code, since I'm having a problem
                  sending brackets through SendKeys. Appearently there are 2 more
                  modifiers that aren't documented: the ( and the ). They are used as a
                  pseudo shiftlock. The + modifier only works for the very next
                  character after it, and the shift key is released after that character
                  is processed. Now you would hope that either using

                  SendKeys("{HOME}+{END}{DELETE}")

                  on a text field would do what you want...highlight all the text in a
                  text field and delete it. You would also hope that if that didn't
                  work, that

                  SendKeys("{HOME}({END}){DELETE}")

                  would work. BUT...whenever the SendKeysImp function in the
                  GuiTest.XS, the function called my SendKeys, processes a { character,
                  the Shift flag for either the + or ( modifiers gets reset and turned
                  off. So it's technically impossible to have it hold down the Shift
                  and any special keys at the same time using SendKeys.

                  As for it jamming the Shift key to be always on...still haven't
                  figured that out. It seems to happen whenever the ( and ) modifiers
                  are used as well. The Shift just doesn't disengage. I haven't had it
                  happen to me with the + modifier, and haven't tried the {SHIFT}
                  special key, but it definately happens with ( and ).

                  OH, and if you were like me and wondered how exactly you send the
                  literal characters instead of the modifier, just put it in squigly
                  braces {}. As in:

                  SendKeys("{(}This is in brackets{)}");

                  That should produce:

                  (This is in brackets)

                  So...I think you might be out of luck unfortunately. The only way
                  I've been able to do it is with the mouse.
                  Here's my function:

                  sub ClearEditControl
                  {
                  my $H_Control = shift;

                  my $i_Y = 0;
                  my $i_LeftX = 0;
                  my $i_TopY = 0;
                  my $i_RightX = 0;
                  my $i_BottomY = 0;

                  ($i_LeftX, $i_TopY, $i_RightX, $i_BottomY) = GetWindowRect(
                  $H_Control );

                  $i_Y = $i_TopY + (int(($i_BottomY - $i_TopY)/2));

                  tt_MoveMouse($i_LeftX, $i_Y);

                  SendLButtonDown();

                  tt_MoveMouse($i_RightX, $i_Y);

                  SendLButtonUp();

                  SendKeys("{DELETE}");

                  }

                  Good luck, and post your workaround if you find another one...

                  Brent

                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 14, 2006
                    I have carefully checked what you have written. I have also run the
                    script using Tk, attached below. Everything worked as expected.
                    Below is the script, which uses Notepad.

                    use Win32::GuiTest qw( :ALL );
                    my @wnd = FindWindowLike( 0, "Untitled - Notepad" );

                    SetForegroundWindow( $wnd[ 0 ] );
                    SendKeys( "{HOME}" );
                    sleep( 1 );
                    SendKeys( "+{END}" );
                    sleep( 1 );
                    SendKeys( "{DELETE}" );
                    print "\n";

                    It does exactly what is expected. It goes to beginning of the line, it
                    selects the whole line and then deletes it.

                    In order to get a shift pressed, you have to use +. If you want it to
                    be kept for more then one character, you take all to-be-shifted
                    characters in parens "()". "()" by themself only group characters. I
                    did not observe them working as a shift key.

                    And what do you mean by jaming? How does it manifest itself?
                    What windows version do you use?

                    --Piotr

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 20 6:56 AM
                      OK. I have the same problem. I got it on a machine with Polish version
                      of XP. And in the same time it works fine on a machine with US XP.

                      More investigation is needed. But for sure there is a problem...

                      --Piotr