Re: WMSetText to '#32770' dialog then PushChildButton OK, windows send default v

  • lmarlin
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 4, 2005
      This example may help - even if it's imperfect (see header notes
      # The goal of this example is to open
      # the Printing Preferences window for a printer,
      # sets the Landscape option and number of pages per page preference
      # and then Apply
      # and OK

      # when you check the settings after it is done,
      # you see that the Landscape setting is in effect,
      # but the number of pages is still 1

      # Why doesn't the number of pages get set to 2 and "stick"?

      use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
      use strict;

      my $WinCaption = "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6";
      my $MessageClass = "PrintUI_PrinterQueue";

      my @whnds = FindWindowLike( 0, $WinCaption, $MessageClass );
      #
      # want only one window in response to the search
      #
      if ( !( scalar @whnds == 1 && IsWindow($whnds[0])) )
      {
      die "No Printer Window (or too many)";
      }

      SetForegroundWindow ($whnds[0]);
      sleep 1;

      SendKeys("%pf"); # Send keystrokes to access Printing
      Preferences window
      sleep 1;

      my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6 Printing
      Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );

      #
      # Find the Layout tab
      #
      my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      printf( "Layout: %x\n", $hnd);
      PushChildButton ($hnd, "^&Landscape");

      my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd, undef, "^ComboBox",
      undef, undef, 2 );
      printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);

      # SelComboString($hnd, "2");
      SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");

      sleep 2;

      PushButton ("^&Apply");

      sleep 2;

      PushButton ("^OK");

      Fish

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005" <oohay1_2005@y...>

      <pkaluski@p...> wrote:

      > > There are some mistakes in your code. Maybe that's the reason.
      > >
      > > my @whnds = WaitWindowLike( undef, "^HP Color LaserJet PS" ....)
      > >
      > > WaitWindowLike returns scalar value, not a list (but in your
      code it
      > > should work)
      > >
      > > More important thing:
      > >
      > > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP Color LaserJet PS Printing
      > > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef,
      2 );

      > > First parameter expected by WaitWindowLike is a parent handle
      (which
      > > I asume you know, since you used the function correctly before).
      > >
      > > Also, check that there is no other button with caption beginning
      > > with "OK"
      > >
      > > And why have you chosen to use SelComboItemText instead of
      > > SelComboString?
      > >
      > > --Piotr
      > >
      > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
      <oohay1_2005@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > i could find a sample dlg to do WMSetText, but found a sample
      gui
      > > that
      > > > also uses class 32770 for SelComboItemText: a printing
      preference
      > > > dialog (HP color laser jet ps; driver should be bundled with
      window
      > > > xp; can add driver if not available)
      > > >
      > > > for example, assume a ui "HP Color LaserJet PS" is present:
      > > >
      > > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
      > > > use strict;
      > > >
      > > > my @whnds = WaitWindowLike( undef, "^HP Color LaserJet PS",
      undef,
      > > > undef, undef, 30 );
      > > > if( !@whnds ){
      > > > die "Cannot find window \n";
      > > > }
      > > > else{
      > > > SetForegroundWindow ($whnds[0]);
      > > > sleep 1;
      > > > SendKeys("%pf");
      > > > sleep 1;
      > > > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP Color LaserJet PS Printing
      > > > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
      > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef,
      > > > undef, 2 );
      > > > printf( "Layout: %x\n", $hnd);
      > > > PushChildButton ($hnd, "^&Landscape");
      > > >
      > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
      > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef,
      > > > undef, 2 );
      > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd, undef, "^ComboBox",
      > > undef, undef, 2 );
      > > > printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);
      > > >
      > > > #SelComboString($hnd, "2");
      > > > SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");
      > > > sleep 2;
      > > > PushButton ("^OK");
      > > >
      > > > }
      > > >
      > > > now, manually open same printing pref dialog and notice pages
      per
      > > > sheet is not the set to 2; similar to problem with WMSetText,
      value
      > > is
      > > > not saved when dialog is closed by PushButton/PushChildButton.

> [...]
    • oohay1_2005
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 9, 2005
        anyone has any idea why WMSetText and SelCombo* are not working
        (value/setting not stick) with class 32770 dialogs or how to resolve
        the issue? thanks.

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "lmarlin" <lmarlin@y...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >

        > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski"
        > <pkaluski@p...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > There are some mistakes in your code. Maybe that's the reason.
        > > >
        > > > my @whnds = WaitWindowLike( undef, "^HP Color LaserJet PS" ....)
        > > >
        > > > WaitWindowLike returns scalar value, not a list (but in your
        > code it
        > > > should work)
        > > >
        > > > More important thing:
        > > >
        > > > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP Color LaserJet PS Printing
        > > > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef,
        > 2 );
        > > >
        > > > First parameter expected by WaitWindowLike is a parent handle
        > (which
        > > > I asume you know, since you used the function correctly before).
        > > >
        > > > Also, check that there is no other button with caption beginning
        > > > with "OK"
        > > >
        > > > And why have you chosen to use SelComboItemText instead of

      • splemmon
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 14, 2005
          I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and SelComboString
          functions while automating my application. I found that the selected
          item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not saved
          after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would be
          saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
          selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.

          My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
          correct number of down arrows:

          SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
          SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );

          Regards,

          Steve

          wrote:

> [...]
          > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd, undef, "^ComboBox",
          > > undef, undef, 2 );
          > > printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);
          > >
          > > # SelComboString($hnd, "2");
          > > SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");
          > >
          > > sleep 2;
          > >
          > > PushButton ("^&Apply");
          > >
          > > sleep 2;
          > >
          > > PushButton ("^OK");
          > >
          > > Fish
          > >

          > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
          <oohay1_2005@y...>

          > > > question: In the example below, if button OK was not found then
          > > dialog
          > > > would not closed, correct? But, dialog does closed.

          > > > neither method works; it just happen to be the last method
          tried.

          > > > The actual #32770 class I was after is McAfee On-Access
          Properties,
          > > > but it's not common, so installing HP Color LaserJet PS driver

          undef, "^ComboBox",

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 15, 2005
            OK.
            Guys, I will try to find some time to have a look at it. It is close
            to christmass so... well, you know :-). But I will try...

            --Piotr

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "splemmon" <steve_lemmon@h...>
            wrote:

            > I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and
            SelComboString
            > functions while automating my application. I found that the
            selected
            > item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not saved
            > after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would be
            > saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
            > selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.
            >
            > My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
            > correct number of down arrows:
            >
            > SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
            > SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Steve
            >
            > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
            <oohay1_2005@y...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > anyone has any idea why WMSetText and SelCombo* are not working
            > > (value/setting not stick) with class 32770 dialogs or how to
            resolve
            > > the issue? thanks.
            > >
            > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "lmarlin" <lmarlin@y...>
            wrote:

            > > > This example may help - even if it's imperfect (see header notes

            > > > # The goal of this example is to open
            > > > # the Printing Preferences window for a printer,
            > > > # sets the Landscape option and number of pages per page
            > preference
            > > > # and then Apply
            > > > # and OK
            > > >
            > > > # when you check the settings after it is done,
            > > > # you see that the Landscape setting is in effect,
            > > > # but the number of pages is still 1
            > > >
            > > > # Why doesn't the number of pages get set to 2 and "stick"?
            > > >
            > > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(:ALL);
            > > > use strict;
            > > >
            > > > my $WinCaption = "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6";
            > > > my $MessageClass = "PrintUI_PrinterQueue";
            > > >
            > > > my @whnds = FindWindowLike( 0, $WinCaption, $MessageClass );
            > > > #
            > > > # want only one window in response to the search
            > > > #
            > > > if ( !( scalar @whnds == 1 && IsWindow($whnds[0])) )
            > > > {
            > > > die "No Printer Window (or too many)";
            > > > }
            > > >
            > > > SetForegroundWindow ($whnds[0]);
            > > > sleep 1;
            > > >
            > > > SendKeys("%pf"); # Send keystrokes to access
            > Printing
            > > > Preferences window
            > > > sleep 1;
            > > >
            > > > my $parHnd = WaitWindowLike( "^HP LaserJet 2100 PCL6
            > Printing
            > > > Preferences", "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
            > > >
            > > > #
            > > > # Find the Layout tab
            > > > #
            > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
            > > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
            > > > printf( "Layout: %x\n", $hnd);
            > > > PushChildButton ($hnd, "^&Landscape");
            > > >
            > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike(
            > > > $parHnd, "^Layout", "^#32770", undef, undef, 2 );
            > > > my $hnd = WaitWindowLike( $hnd,
            undef, "^ComboBox",
            > > > undef, undef, 2 );
            > > > printf( "combo: %x\n", $hnd);
            > > >
            > > > # SelComboString($hnd, "2");
            > > > SelComboItemText($hnd, "2");
            > > >
            > > > sleep 2;
            > > >
            > > > PushButton ("^&Apply");
            > > >
            > > > sleep 2;
            > > >
            > > > PushButton ("^OK");
            > > >
            > > > Fish
            > > >

            > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
            > <oohay1_2005@y...>

            > beginning
            > > > dialog

            > tried.

            > Properties,
            > > > should

            > PS" ....)

            > > > code it

            > undef,
            > > > 2 );

            > > > (which
            > before).

            > beginning

            > > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

            > sample
            > > > gui
            > > > preference
            > with
            > > > window

            PS",
            > > > undef,
            > Printing

            > undef, "^ComboBox",

            > pages
            > > > per
            > WMSetText,
            > > > value
            > PushButton/PushChildButton.

            > > > <pkaluski@p...>

            > press,

            > some
            > > > code

          • splemmon
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 17, 2005
              Piotr,

              Appreciate your assistance... though I've found plenty of other bugs
              that can keep you busy during the holidays ;-)

              As for the ComboBox anomalies, I've noticed in my application that
              class "ComboBox (Unicode)", which is a part of the Windows Form
              SaveFileDialog .NET component (specifically the file extension
              selection), exhibits the problem, whereas those of
              class "WindowsForms10.COMBOBOX.app3" do not. Perhaps this may provide
              a clue to identify where the trouble lies.

              Regards,

              Steve

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 19, 2005
                I checked that.
                You are right. The problem exists. I don't know why to be honest.
                Steven's workaround is the only one which comes to my mind at the
                moment. In case of the printer driver, you can just type "2" instead
                of appropriate number of down arrows.
                Steven, do you have the source code to the application you are talking
                about?

                --Piotr

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 21, 2005
                  I believe I know the reason of problems.
                  I am not 100% sure that the explanation given below is correct, but
                  at least it is not contradictory with my observations.

                  Application can be informed about new selection in a combo box by
                  several events/notifications. One of such events is CBN_SELCHANGE.
                  However, not every application uses this event and Microsoft does not
                  recommend it. This is what they say:

                  "A drop-down combo box or drop-down list box sends the CBN_CLOSEUP
                  notification to the parent window or dialog-box procedure when the
                  drop-down list closes. If the user changed the current selection, the
                  combo box also sends the CBN_SELCHANGE notification when the drop-
                  down list closes. To execute a specific process each time the user
                  selects a list item, you can handle either the CBN_SELCHANGE or
                  CBN_CLOSEUP notification message. Typically, you would wait for the
                  CBN_CLOSEUP notification before processing a change in the current
                  selection. This can be particularly important if a significant amount
                  of processing is required. "

                  So it seams that some applications watch for CBN_CLOSEUP, which is
                  generated when a list of combo box is closed. They probably also
                  check keyboard events. That's why SendKeys solution works.

                  Let's have a look at the code (last few lines from the "printing
                  preferences" example). In the light of facts given above, the
                  following does not work:

                  SelComboString($hnd, "2");
                  PushButton( "^OK" );

                  It is because only CBN_SELCHANGE event is generated.

                  But if you do this:

                  SendMessage( $hnd, 0x014F, 1, 0 );
                  SelComboString($hnd, "2");
                  PushButton( "^OK" );

                  This magic SendMessage sends 0x014F which is CB_SHOWDROPDOWN which
                  shows a list box of a combo box. Then you select a value
                  (SelComboString) and you PushButton, which causes that a window is
                  closed and list box of a combo box is closed which generates
                  CBN_CLOSEUP.

                  This problem brings some bigger issue. To which extent we should be
                  smart and use sophisticated features of controls to set their values?
                  Using mouse clicks or SendKeys seems less clean, but it is much more
                  safe, since it generates all expected side effects.

                  I think that in case of combo box, we should implement the function,
                  which does a following:
                  It opens a list, selects an item and clicks on it.

                  --Piotr

                  wrote:

                  > I checked that.
                  > You are right. The problem exists. I don't know why to be honest.
                  > Steven's workaround is the only one which comes to my mind at the
                  > moment. In case of the printer driver, you can just type "2" instead
                  > of appropriate number of down arrows.
                  > Steven, do you have the source code to the application you are
                  talking
                  > about?
                  >
                  > --Piotr
                  >

                  > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...>
                  wrote:

                  > > OK.
                  > > Guys, I will try to find some time to have a look at it. It is
                  close
                  > > to christmass so... well, you know :-). But I will try...
                  > >
                  > > --Piotr
                  > >

                  > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "splemmon"
                  <steve_lemmon@h...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I had a similar problem with both SelComboItemText and
                  > > SelComboString
                  > > > functions while automating my application. I found that the
                  > > selected
                  > > > item would be shown in the combo box, but the item was not
                  saved
                  > > > after the OK was clicked. Only the first item in the list would
                  be
                  > > > saved. It seemed as though the combo box was updated with the
                  > > > selection (visually), but the application wasn't aware of it.
                  > > >
                  > > > My workaround was to set focus on the combo box, then send the
                  > > > correct number of down arrows:
                  > > >
                  > > > SetFocus( $file_type[0] );
                  > > > SendKeys( "{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}{DOWN}", 0.25 );
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards,
                  > > >
                  > > > Steve
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "oohay1_2005"
                  > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

                  > > resolve

                  > > > preference

                  > > > Printing

                  > > > Printing

                  > > undef, "^ComboBox",

                  > > > <oohay1_2005@y...>

                  > > > beginning
                  > > then

                  > > > tried.

                  > > > Properties,
                  > > driver

                  > > reason.

                  > > > PS" ....)

                  > > your

                  Printing
                  > > > undef,

                  > > handle
                  > > > before).

                  > > > beginning

                  > > > sample
                  > > > with

                  > > present:

                  LaserJet
                  > > PS",
                  LaserJet PS
                  > > > Printing

                  > > > undef, "^ComboBox",

                  > > > pages
                  > > > WMSetText,
                  > > > PushButton/PushChildButton.

                  > > > press,

                  > > > some

                • splemmon
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 22, 2005
                    Hi Piotr,

                    I can confirm your workaround for both SelComboString and
                    SelComboItemText functions. However I wonder if it is the lack of
                    CBN_SELCHANGE message that is the culprit, not CBN_CLOSEUP.

                    From the MS documentation it states that CBN_SELCHANGE is *not* sent
                    when the selection is changed via the CB_SETCURSEL message:

                    "When the user changes the current selection in a combo box, the
                    parent window or dialog-box procedure receives a WM_COMMAND message
                    with the notification message CBN_SELCHANGE in the high-order word
                    of the wParam parameter. This notification message is not sent when
                    the current selection is set using the CB_SETCURSEL message."

                    Looking at the SelComboItemText function code below, I see that it
                    uses the CB_SETCURSEL message to select the item which would imply
                    that CBN_SELCHANGE is not sent to the application.

                    RETVAL = (SendMessage(hWnd, CB_SETCURSEL, i, 0) != CB_ERR);

                    Agreed that although mouse clicks and SendKeys generate all side
                    effects that a user would encounter, my preference is to avoid using
                    them whenever possible to avoid forcing the application under test to
                    the foreground.

                    Regards,

                    Steve

                  • oohay1_2005
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 22, 2005
                      I've also confirmed that:
                      SendMessage( $hnd, 0x014F, 1, 0 );
                      will work for some comboboxes but not others. It seems like all
                      comboboxes that also alters some bitmap on gui does not work.
                      Is there any other tricks that can resolve this?

                      Sendkey will work in most cases, but when a combobox have the same
                      word as the first string, eg:
                      "Type 1"
                      "Type 2"
                      "Type 3"
                      ... it would require sending additional keys; which might become
                      inaccurate if focus is accidentally not on correct handle...

                      Is there a link where I can search for additional info on
                      SendMessage's flags/paramenters, similar to the flag 0x014F?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 23, 2005
                        SelComboItemText uses CB_SETCURSEL, but SelComboString uses
                        CB_SELECTSTRING which does trigger CBN_SELCHANGE.
                        As for forcing application to the foreground. I agree that it looks
                        more elegant if you can just order GUI tests and have them done in
                        the background. However, I have heard that even commercial tools'
                        vendors recommend not to do anything when gui test is running.
                        Secondly, moving to foreground is an event with side effects and you
                        never know how application under test handles that. Interaction with
                        human user always involves moving to foreground, so I think it is
                        much more safer to push stuff to the foreground and just leave the PC
                        alone.
                        But this is only my personal opinion....

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 23, 2005
                          Goto to msdn.microsoft.com and then
                          MSDN Library > Win32 and COM Development > User Interface >
                          Windows Shell > Windows Controls > Individual Control Information
                          > ComboBox Controls >

                          --Piotr