No to software patents

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2005
      Guys,
      I am sorry for spamming you, but I consider the message below really
      important for anti-pattent battle.
      For those who don't know. Currently it is not possible to patent
      software solutions in Europe. However, there is an intensive and
      aggressive lobbing for making patenting possible. I don't have to
      tell you which companies are lobbing for it. Allowing software
      patents would be a significant threat to small software companies and
      open source community (including us, Win32::GuiTest group).
      So far European Parliament has rejected the directive allowing
      patents. By the way, it is really interesting to observe how did the
      directive make their way through several commisions. In really
      unclear circumstances it was passing consecutive votings.
      Fortunatelly it was finaly rejected.
      But the war is not over. Companies like M$, exploiting low level of
      awarness of ordinary people, are trying to convince that patents will
      stimulate the economy growth.
      I believe that making anti-patent campaing leader an European of the
      year, would help us attract public attention to the matter.

      --Piotr

      Dear Supporters of ThankPoland.info,

      By thanking the Polish government for its courageous intervention
      against
      software patents, you have already been very helpful (you may refer to
      http://wiki.ffii.org/Sejm050216En for details and some pictures of the
      "Thank Poland" ceremony which took place in Warsaw in February of this
      year, in the Polish Parliament, Sejm.)

      There is now a new and extremely similar opportunity to make a
      statement
      against software patents by taking a minute to fill out a simple
      Internet
      form. The founder of the NoSoftwarePatents.com campaign, Florian
      Mueller,
      is currently running in an Internet poll for the "European of the
      Year"
      against such celebrities as U2 frontman Bono and politicians like
      Schroeder, Merkel and Blair. For voting recommendations and further
      information, please click here:

      http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/ev50/vote.html

      When I was in Warsaw, I learned from Polish politicians that Florian's
      NoSoftwarePatents.com campaign website has had a significant impact
      among
      them. Two Polish politicians have told me personally that they had
      printed out information from NoSoftwarePatents.com and used it to
      inform
      other politicians about the issue. Florian, who had come to Warsaw
      for the
      "Thank Poland" ceremony, also played a key role during the press
      conference
      afterwards.

      In view of all this, I have no doubt that Florian deserves to win
      those
      "Campaigner of the Year" and "European of the Year" awards. There is
      realistic chance that we can, by voting for him on the Internet, make
      him
      the new "European of the Year", which would demonstrate to
      politicians, the
      press and the public that software patents are highly unpopular.
      Hence,
      every vote for Florian is a strong vote for freedom from software
      patents.

      It is necessary to vote for one candidate in each of the ten
      categories.
      Florian is running in two of them, and there are also other
      categories in
      which we can support those who opposed software patents and vote
      against
      those who wanted to make software legally patentable in Europe.

      Best regards,

      Norbert Bollow

      P.S. Everyone can participate in this Internet poll, including
      non-Europeans. On the NoSoftwarePatents.com site, texts (and
      banners) are available in more than a dozen languages. You can
      also
      send emails to make friends aware of this Internet referendum.

      Today, five celebrities from the world of free and open-source
      software (Richard Stallman, Tim O'Reilly, Alan Cox, Rasmus
      Lerdorf
      and Monty Widenius) also called on their supporters to vote for
      Florian:
      http://www.ag-ip-news.com/GetArticle.asp?Art_ID=2254&lang=en