control via VNC?

  • Robert Campbell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2005
      Hello all!
      Newbie to the group here....

      I'm looking for a way to control a GUI on a *nix box. It is running
      vncserver.

      So, can I use PERL with this Win32::GuiTest module on windows to
      control a VNC session that has the screen from *nix?

      While I'm not really testing the GUI, I want to exploit the capability
      to send mouse clicks and key press events and to cause things to happen.

      Feasible? I hope so....

      Anyway, thanks in advance for your replies!

      -Robert
    • Chris Hilton
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 19, 2005
        As long as the VNC viewer is the foreground window, it should receive
        keypresses and mouse-clicks from GuiTest just like any other window. Of
        course, you won't be able to do things like get handles to the windows
        in the remote session to see what effect your actions are having, so
        you'll be virtually "flying blind", so to speak.

        Chris

      • Daryl Lee
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 19, 2005
          And that's just the input side of the issue. I'm not at all sure how you
          would extract field values. There may also be a dependency on how you're
          viewing vnc, either through the vnc client or through a web browser. If the
          latter (since I don't actually use the vnc client, I can't speak to how that
          works), the server sends a Java applet to the browser, and Java applets have
          their own little sandbox that pretty well isolates them from the client's
          host. To do what you want to do, you might check into Dogtail (I wish
          someone would consult me before making up these names! :) )
          http://people.redhat.com/zcerza/dogtail/index.html

          Good luck.

          Daryl

          As long as the VNC viewer is the foreground window, it should receive
          keypresses and mouse-clicks from GuiTest just like any other window. Of
          course, you won't be able to do things like get handles to the windows in
          the remote session to see what effect your actions are having, so you'll be
          virtually "flying blind", so to speak.

          Chris

          play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/ndFolB/TM