RE: [perlguitest] Win32::GUI vs Win32::GuiTest

  • Chris Hilton
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
      As an infrequent contributor to the list but frequent GuiTest user, I
      agree that there's some level of code/effort that's being duplicated and
      that could/should be refactored out, but I don't know enough about the
      Win32::Gui module to know if that's the way to go. Another thought I had
      considered was using the Win32::API module to replace much of the C Win
      API calls GuiTest makes and moving more of the code into the Perl layer
      accordingly, perhaps to the point that a C compiler is no longer
      required for GuiTest development. With the complications of the advanced
      Windows controls and interprocess memory communication or whatever, I'm
      not sure complete compiler independence would actually be possible, but
      it might get to the point of just being able to provide an appropriate
      XS typemap.

      That's pushing the boundaries of my XS knowledge, so take it with a
      grain of salt. I do think the more straight Perl and less effort
      duplication, the better, though.

      Chris

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
        You may be right,
        However I have read somewhere that using Win32::API is not
        particularly safe. Also extensive use of it would not make the code
        particularly readable and easy to debug.

        --Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hilton" <chilton@a...> wrote:

        > As an infrequent contributor to the list but frequent GuiTest user, I
        > agree that there's some level of code/effort that's being duplicated and
        > that could/should be refactored out, but I don't know enough about the
        > Win32::Gui module to know if that's the way to go. Another thought I had
        > considered was using the Win32::API module to replace much of the C Win
        > API calls GuiTest makes and moving more of the code into the Perl layer
        > accordingly, perhaps to the point that a C compiler is no longer
        > required for GuiTest development. With the complications of the advanced
        > Windows controls and interprocess memory communication or whatever, I'm
        > not sure complete compiler independence would actually be possible, but
        > it might get to the point of just being able to provide an appropriate
        > XS typemap.
        >
        > That's pushing the boundaries of my XS knowledge, so take it with a
        > grain of salt. I do think the more straight Perl and less effort
        > duplication, the better, though.
        >
        > Chris

      • Steven Lloyd
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
          I use Win32::API in nearly every application I have written (for windows)
          and I believe that it is very stable - the only time it is unstable is when
          the API is called incorrectly.

          Steve Lloyd
          http://www.basgetti.com

          http://www.kidlins.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
            Yeah, I think even the author recommends against using it for various
            applications. It depends on a assembly language hack; which may not
            be too 64bit/Windows friendly... It also adds another dependency;
            which changes outside of Win32::GUITest changing; which makes things
            fun for our users. 8-(

            I wish I had the time to commit more to this module. GUI automation
            is not too difficult, just a bit time consuming to implement certain
            pieces..

            My $0.02 for the moment,