Re: [perlguitest] Win32::GUI vs Win32::GuiTest

  • Gábor Szabó
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
      It would be very nice if you could gave as an overview about this
      issue [1] in the
      upcoming Hungarian Perl Workshop

      http://conferences.yapceurope.org/hpw2005/

      Gabor
      [1] the possible merge
    • Chris Hilton
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
        As an infrequent contributor to the list but frequent GuiTest user, I
        agree that there's some level of code/effort that's being duplicated and
        that could/should be refactored out, but I don't know enough about the
        Win32::Gui module to know if that's the way to go. Another thought I had
        considered was using the Win32::API module to replace much of the C Win
        API calls GuiTest makes and moving more of the code into the Perl layer
        accordingly, perhaps to the point that a C compiler is no longer
        required for GuiTest development. With the complications of the advanced
        Windows controls and interprocess memory communication or whatever, I'm
        not sure complete compiler independence would actually be possible, but
        it might get to the point of just being able to provide an appropriate
        XS typemap.

        That's pushing the boundaries of my XS knowledge, so take it with a
        grain of salt. I do think the more straight Perl and less effort
        duplication, the better, though.

        Chris

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
          You may be right,
          However I have read somewhere that using Win32::API is not
          particularly safe. Also extensive use of it would not make the code
          particularly readable and easy to debug.

          --Piotr

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hilton" <chilton@a...> wrote:

          > As an infrequent contributor to the list but frequent GuiTest user, I
          > agree that there's some level of code/effort that's being duplicated and
          > that could/should be refactored out, but I don't know enough about the
          > Win32::Gui module to know if that's the way to go. Another thought I had
          > considered was using the Win32::API module to replace much of the C Win
          > API calls GuiTest makes and moving more of the code into the Perl layer
          > accordingly, perhaps to the point that a C compiler is no longer
          > required for GuiTest development. With the complications of the advanced
          > Windows controls and interprocess memory communication or whatever, I'm
          > not sure complete compiler independence would actually be possible, but
          > it might get to the point of just being able to provide an appropriate
          > XS typemap.
          >
          > That's pushing the boundaries of my XS knowledge, so take it with a
          > grain of salt. I do think the more straight Perl and less effort
          > duplication, the better, though.
          >
          > Chris

        • Steven Lloyd
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
            I use Win32::API in nearly every application I have written (for windows)
            and I believe that it is very stable - the only time it is unstable is when
            the API is called incorrectly.

            Steve Lloyd
            http://www.basgetti.com

            http://www.kidlins.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
              Yeah, I think even the author recommends against using it for various
              applications. It depends on a assembly language hack; which may not
              be too 64bit/Windows friendly... It also adds another dependency;
              which changes outside of Win32::GUITest changing; which makes things
              fun for our users. 8-(

              I wish I had the time to commit more to this module. GUI automation
              is not too difficult, just a bit time consuming to implement certain
              pieces..

              My $0.02 for the moment,