Win32::GUI vs Win32::GuiTest

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
      Guys, there is a pretty interesting discussion going on in mailing list
      of Win32::GUI project (http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?
      forum_id=3220). It is about a possibility of merging Win32::GUI and
      Win32::GuiTest. Although this step has to be well thought and planned,
      I believe it could be beneficial for all of us.

      --Piotr
    • Gábor Szabó
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
        It would be very nice if you could gave as an overview about this
        issue [1] in the
        upcoming Hungarian Perl Workshop

        http://conferences.yapceurope.org/hpw2005/

        Gabor
        [1] the possible merge
      • Chris Hilton
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2005
          As an infrequent contributor to the list but frequent GuiTest user, I
          agree that there's some level of code/effort that's being duplicated and
          that could/should be refactored out, but I don't know enough about the
          Win32::Gui module to know if that's the way to go. Another thought I had
          considered was using the Win32::API module to replace much of the C Win
          API calls GuiTest makes and moving more of the code into the Perl layer
          accordingly, perhaps to the point that a C compiler is no longer
          required for GuiTest development. With the complications of the advanced
          Windows controls and interprocess memory communication or whatever, I'm
          not sure complete compiler independence would actually be possible, but
          it might get to the point of just being able to provide an appropriate
          XS typemap.

          That's pushing the boundaries of my XS knowledge, so take it with a
          grain of salt. I do think the more straight Perl and less effort
          duplication, the better, though.

          Chris

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
            You may be right,
            However I have read somewhere that using Win32::API is not
            particularly safe. Also extensive use of it would not make the code
            particularly readable and easy to debug.

            --Piotr

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hilton" <chilton@a...> wrote:

            > As an infrequent contributor to the list but frequent GuiTest user, I
            > agree that there's some level of code/effort that's being duplicated and
            > that could/should be refactored out, but I don't know enough about the
            > Win32::Gui module to know if that's the way to go. Another thought I had
            > considered was using the Win32::API module to replace much of the C Win
            > API calls GuiTest makes and moving more of the code into the Perl layer
            > accordingly, perhaps to the point that a C compiler is no longer
            > required for GuiTest development. With the complications of the advanced
            > Windows controls and interprocess memory communication or whatever, I'm
            > not sure complete compiler independence would actually be possible, but
            > it might get to the point of just being able to provide an appropriate
            > XS typemap.
            >
            > That's pushing the boundaries of my XS knowledge, so take it with a
            > grain of salt. I do think the more straight Perl and less effort
            > duplication, the better, though.
            >
            > Chris

          • Steven Lloyd
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
              I use Win32::API in nearly every application I have written (for windows)
              and I believe that it is very stable - the only time it is unstable is when
              the API is called incorrectly.

              Steve Lloyd
              http://www.basgetti.com

              http://www.kidlins.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
                Yeah, I think even the author recommends against using it for various
                applications. It depends on a assembly language hack; which may not
                be too 64bit/Windows friendly... It also adds another dependency;
                which changes outside of Win32::GUITest changing; which makes things
                fun for our users. 8-(

                I wish I had the time to commit more to this module. GUI automation
                is not too difficult, just a bit time consuming to implement certain
                pieces..

                My $0.02 for the moment,