Navigate to a page in IE and pull text to determine success

  • boredsting
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
      I have combed through the posts and I am most of the way there.

      What I want to do is to navigate to a webpage.
      Pull text from the page to ensure that it has worked. This text will
      not be a link, at least my first one will not.
    • saud aziz
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2005
        Try looking into selenium or Ruby's watir module for browser related
        testing.

        --
        "..man is a human being, not because of his physical powers for physically
        the camel is his superior; not because of his size for the elephant is

      • ross_j_anderson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 17, 2005
          You might try using WWW::Mechanize to pull text out. HTTP::Recorder
          can be used to automatically generate Mechnanize scripts. It is an
          agent for HTTP::Proxy which records the web page interaction and
          captures it to script. Both are pretty sweet. HTTP::Recorder is a
          pain to get working on windows and require Perl 5.8.
          -ross
        • rmqa_group
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 24, 2005
            I use code along the lines of:

            $IEpage = Win32::IE::Mechanize->new( <insert options as required> );
            $AMIIE->get(<insert web page address here>);
            $content=$IEpage->content;
            if ($content =~ /footer\.gif/i) #Look for image at bottom of page
            {
            print "go it\n";
            }

            It's easy enough to replace the image being searched for in the
            example above with some unique text (eg: copyright notice), though
            text tends to download before images, so it makes more sense to look
            for an image if you need to ensure the page has fully loaded.

            Hope this helps.
            DH