Comments on the Win32::GuiTest tutorial

  • Gábor Szabó
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21 10:54 PM
      Hi Piotr,

      While preparing for my Win32::GuiTest presentaion on YAPC::EU::2005
      in the end of the month I went through your tutorial
      http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ again.
      It is very useful. I recommend it to everyone on the list.

      A few comments:
      - Do you have a downloadable version of your tutorial ?
      Maybe one that can be used either as pod/html or as
      standard MS Windows help file?

      - http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02.html
      You might want to add a few words on how to install Perl and the module.

      - http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02s02.html
      I did not think the SendKeys("2") function and the PushChildButton(
      $whnds[ 0 ], 126 )
      are two separet ways to press that button. Are these really different?

      I feel it is missing from this page how can one check that in the Perl cript
      that the button with the "2" title on it is the same as the child
      with the control ID 126.
      What if the developer changed it?
      I think this can be a good test in itself.

      In this example:
      my @edit = FindWindowLike( $whnds[ 0 ], undef, "^Edit", $edit_ctrl_id );
      Why do you need to give the regex once you gave both the window handler and
      the control id ?

      - http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02s04.html
      I would either move the discussion to later in the tutorial or tell the reader
      up fron that s/he does not need to read and understand this in order to
      use Win32::GuiTest even for more advanced stuff. Things that you show in
      chapter 3 and later. This pages is way to difficult to most of us and one ot
      the main advantages of the Perl module is that you actually don't need to
      understand this C stuff.

      - http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch05.html
      You are explaining Marshalling again. Why not refer to the long 2nd chapter?

      - It might be very interesting/useful if for each control you mention you would
      bring examples from some commonly known Windows application.
      Eg. in which application can you find "Microsoft's Tree-View controls" ?
      http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch05s03.html
      Can you also show an example on how to interact with it?

      - Please run spellchecket on it. There are a number of typos I noticed.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22 12:01 AM
        Hi Gabor,
        Thank you very much for your comments, see my answers below.

        You made a good point on my advanced tutorial. Therefore I have
        created a poll. I am curious how is it seen complexity wise. I will
        use the results of the poll as a guideline for improvements.

        -Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, Gábor Szabó <szabgab@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Piotr,
        >
        > While preparing for my Win32::GuiTest presentaion on YAPC::EU::2005
        > in the end of the month I went through your tutorial
        > http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ again.
        > It is very useful. I recommend it to everyone on the list.
        >

        > A few comments:
        > - Do you have a downloadable version of your tutorial ?
        > Maybe one that can be used either as pod/html or as
        > standard MS Windows help file?

        I will try to prepare some pdf soon.

        > - http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02.html
        > You might want to add a few words on how to install Perl and the
        module.

        Right.

        > - http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02s02.html
        > I did not think the SendKeys("2") function and the PushChildButton
        (
        > $whnds[ 0 ], 126 )
        > are two separet ways to press that button. Are these really
        different?

        They are different but in case of Calculator, their effect is similar.

        > I feel it is missing from this page how can one check that in the
        Perl cript
        > that the button with the "2" title on it is the same as the child
        > with the control ID 126.
        > What if the developer changed it?
        > I think this can be a good test in itself.

        You are right. However, this is only the tutorial. I believe that in
        tutorial you have to find a balance between simplicity and
        completeness. My goal was to explain basics of SendKeys and
        PushChildButton. But I will have a look at it again, having your
        comments in mind.

        > In this example:
        > my @edit = FindWindowLike( $whnds[ 0 ], undef, "^Edit",
        $edit_ctrl_id );
        > Why do you need to give the regex once you gave both the window
        handler and
        > the control id ?

        I agree it is redundand. But it works as a fuse in case of a mistake.
        I will add a comment in the analisys of the code.

        > - http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch02s04.html
        > I would either move the discussion to later in the tutorial or
        tell the reader
        > up fron that s/he does not need to read and understand this in
        order to
        > use Win32::GuiTest even for more advanced stuff. Things that you
        show in
        > chapter 3 and later. This pages is way to difficult to most of us
        and one ot
        > the main advantages of the Perl module is that you actually don't
        need to
        > understand this C stuff.

        This is a really good and important point. You are right. There is a
        tremendous gap between Simple Tutorial and the 2nd part of it. It may
        really scare some people. I will leave the tutorial where it is, but
        I will put it clearly, that you can actually do many usefull/advanced
        things without reading the advanced tutorial.

        > - http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch05.html
        > You are explaining Marshalling again. Why not refer to the long
        2nd chapter?

        That's right. I will find one place for it and will link to it from
        other places.

        > - It might be very interesting/useful if for each control you
        mention you would
        > bring examples from some commonly known Windows application.
        > Eg. in which application can you find "Microsoft's Tree-View
        controls" ?
        > http://www.piotrkaluski.com/files/winguitest/docs/ch05s03.html
        > Can you also show an example on how to interact with it?

        I couldn't agree more, but it takes time to find well though examples.
        Since there are more important things to work on right now, I have to
        honestly say it will not happen soon. Unless someone will send me
        some good examples. I would be happy to add it do documentation and
        give him/her a credit.

        > - Please run spellchecket on it. There are a number of typos I
        noticed.

        Oh, the embarasment :-) Yes you are absolutely right. I will do it.