Re: MenuSelect with IE

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 19 11:58 PM
      It could be due to the fact that in IE menu is not Win32 menu resource
      as such but it is a smart toolbar. If you use winspector (boy, this a
      cool stuff really) you will see the menu bar in IE is seen as a
      ToolbarWindow32, whereas for notepad you want see anything about menu,
      since it is a real menu resource.
      Probably your next question is what to do about it. Maybe try setting
      focus on the IE menu bar and then SendKeys.

      -Piotr

      --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "joelisaacfriedman"
      <joelisaacfriedman@y...> wrote:
      > I'm trying to get a MenuSelect to work with IE to no avail (since
      the
      > toolbar seems to be out of the question).
      >
      > Here is test piece of code:
      >
      > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
      >
      > ($ie) = FindWindowLike(undef, "about:blank", undef);
      > MenuSelect("&View|&Refresh", $ie, GetMenu($ie, 0));
      >
      > On the other hand, this code works:
      >
      > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
      >
      > ($notepad) = FindWindowLike(undef, "Untitled", undef);
      > MenuSelect("&File|E&xit", $ie, GetMenu($notepad, 0));
      >
      > Am I missing something here? Are IE's menus screwy somehow?
      > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • joelisaacfriedman
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21 2:21 PM
        Unfortunately that will not work for me. I need to periodically send
        a refresh to an invisible IE window without stealing foucs. I've also
        looked into using OLE to accomplish this, but due to OLE's thread
        affinity and my need for threads in the application, this cannot work
        either. It seems there is no solution using perl at this time. :-(

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
          Hey Piotr,
          Are you getting royalties from WinSpector? ;-) I haven't used it yet,
          but I think I'm going to try it sometime.

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...> wrote:
          > It could be due to the fact that in IE menu is not Win32 menu resource
          > as such but it is a smart toolbar. If you use winspector (boy, this a
          > cool stuff really) you will see the menu bar in IE is seen as a
          > ToolbarWindow32, whereas for notepad you want see anything about menu,
          > since it is a real menu resource.
          > Probably your next question is what to do about it. Maybe try setting
          > focus on the IE menu bar and then SendKeys.
          >
          > -Piotr
          >

          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "joelisaacfriedman"
          > <joelisaacfriedman@y...> wrote:
          > > I'm trying to get a MenuSelect to work with IE to no avail (since
          > the
          > > toolbar seems to be out of the question).
          > >
          > > Here is test piece of code:
          > >
          > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
          > >
          > > ($ie) = FindWindowLike(undef, "about:blank", undef);
          > > MenuSelect("&View|&Refresh", $ie, GetMenu($ie, 0));
          > >
          > > On the other hand, this code works:
          > >
          > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
          > >
          > > ($notepad) = FindWindowLike(undef, "Untitled", undef);
          > > MenuSelect("&File|E&xit", $ie, GetMenu($notepad, 0));
          > >
          > > Am I missing something here? Are IE's menus screwy somehow?
          > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • stuart arnold
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
            If he is, then I'm losing out! I've been promoting this for 2 years.
            PS, the developer, Russ, has been quite responsive to improvements and
            such.
            Drop SPY++, get this.

            I also found a freebie with source called "IESPY" for getting into the
            "IE" generated HTML and such.,
            I embellished it for some of my own stuff (SysTreeView32 and so on).
            It came from "Andrew Fawcett (afawcett@...)" with a feew
            caveats.

            wrote:
            > It could be due to the fact that in IE menu is not Win32 menu resource
            > as such but it is a smart toolbar. If you use winspector (boy, this a
            > cool stuff really) you will see the menu bar in IE is seen as a
            > ToolbarWindow32, whereas for notepad you want see anything about menu,
            > since it is a real menu resource.
            > Probably your next question is what to do about it. Maybe try setting
            > focus on the IE menu bar and then SendKeys.
            >
            > -Piotr
            >

            > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "joelisaacfriedman"
            > <joelisaacfriedman@y...> wrote:
            > > I'm trying to get a MenuSelect to work with IE to no avail (since
            > the
            > > toolbar seems to be out of the question).
            > >
            > > Here is test piece of code:
            > >
            > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
            > >
            > > ($ie) = FindWindowLike(undef, "about:blank", undef);
            > > MenuSelect("&View|&Refresh", $ie, GetMenu($ie, 0));
            > >
            > > On the other hand, this code works:
            > >
            > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
            > >
            > > ($notepad) = FindWindowLike(undef, "Untitled", undef);
            > > MenuSelect("&File|E&xit", $ie, GetMenu($notepad, 0));
            > >
            > > Am I missing something here? Are IE's menus screwy somehow?
            > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "perlguitest
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perlguitest> " on the web.

            _____

          • wenjie wang
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
              --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "stuart arnold"
              ----------8<--------------------------------------
              -----------------------
              > I also found a freebie with source called "IESPY" for getting into
              the
              > "IE" generated HTML and such.,
              > I embellished it for some of my own stuff (SysTreeView32 and so on).
              > It came from "Andrew Fawcett (afawcett@u...)" with a feew
              > caveats.

              ----------8<--------------------------------------
              -----------------------

              Hi Stuart,

              I'm quite intested in IESPY and would like to try it out ;-) where
              could I get
              it from?

              Regards,
              WWang
              +-Wenjie Wang ---------------------------------------------------+
              | WANG Infonology Systems Pty Ltd - Your Partner for the Future |
              | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 |EMail : support@... |
              | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://www.wiseagent.com.au/ |
              +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
                > Hey Piotr,
                > Are you getting royalties from WinSpector? ;-)

                :-))
                You are right, it may look like this. I am really enthusiastic about
                this tool because apart from its usefulness it is such an excellent
                example of a free tool which out competes commercial one. I am always
                happy to see commited individuals doing better stuff then
                corporations.

                -Piotr
              • stuart arnold
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
                  you'll need to google for it. I got it about 2yrs ago.
                  the address was listed, but unknown where it is now.
                  You may be able to find others similar to it.