MenuSelect with IE

  • joelisaacfriedman
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 19, 2005
      I'm trying to get a MenuSelect to work with IE to no avail (since the
      toolbar seems to be out of the question).

      Here is test piece of code:

      use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);

      ($ie) = FindWindowLike(undef, "about:blank", undef);
      MenuSelect("&View|&Refresh", $ie, GetMenu($ie, 0));

      On the other hand, this code works:

      use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);

      ($notepad) = FindWindowLike(undef, "Untitled", undef);
      MenuSelect("&File|E&xit", $ie, GetMenu($notepad, 0));

      Am I missing something here? Are IE's menus screwy somehow?
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 19, 2005
        It could be due to the fact that in IE menu is not Win32 menu resource
        as such but it is a smart toolbar. If you use winspector (boy, this a
        cool stuff really) you will see the menu bar in IE is seen as a
        ToolbarWindow32, whereas for notepad you want see anything about menu,
        since it is a real menu resource.
        Probably your next question is what to do about it. Maybe try setting
        focus on the IE menu bar and then SendKeys.

        -Piotr

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "joelisaacfriedman"

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
          Unfortunately that will not work for me. I need to periodically send
          a refresh to an invisible IE window without stealing foucs. I've also
          looked into using OLE to accomplish this, but due to OLE's thread
          affinity and my need for threads in the application, this cannot work
          either. It seems there is no solution using perl at this time. :-(

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
            Hey Piotr,
            Are you getting royalties from WinSpector? ;-) I haven't used it yet,
            but I think I'm going to try it sometime.

            --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Kaluski" <pkaluski@p...> wrote:
            > It could be due to the fact that in IE menu is not Win32 menu resource
            > as such but it is a smart toolbar. If you use winspector (boy, this a
            > cool stuff really) you will see the menu bar in IE is seen as a
            > ToolbarWindow32, whereas for notepad you want see anything about menu,
            > since it is a real menu resource.
            > Probably your next question is what to do about it. Maybe try setting
            > focus on the IE menu bar and then SendKeys.
            >
            > -Piotr
            >

            > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "joelisaacfriedman"
            > <joelisaacfriedman@y...> wrote:
            > > I'm trying to get a MenuSelect to work with IE to no avail (since
            > the
            > > toolbar seems to be out of the question).
            > >
            > > Here is test piece of code:
            > >
            > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
            > >
            > > ($ie) = FindWindowLike(undef, "about:blank", undef);
            > > MenuSelect("&View|&Refresh", $ie, GetMenu($ie, 0));
            > >
            > > On the other hand, this code works:
            > >
            > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
            > >
            > > ($notepad) = FindWindowLike(undef, "Untitled", undef);
            > > MenuSelect("&File|E&xit", $ie, GetMenu($notepad, 0));
            > >
            > > Am I missing something here? Are IE's menus screwy somehow?
            > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
          • stuart arnold
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
              If he is, then I'm losing out! I've been promoting this for 2 years.
              PS, the developer, Russ, has been quite responsive to improvements and
              such.
              Drop SPY++, get this.

              I also found a freebie with source called "IESPY" for getting into the
              "IE" generated HTML and such.,
              I embellished it for some of my own stuff (SysTreeView32 and so on).
              It came from "Andrew Fawcett (afawcett@...)" with a feew
              caveats.

              wrote:
              > It could be due to the fact that in IE menu is not Win32 menu resource
              > as such but it is a smart toolbar. If you use winspector (boy, this a
              > cool stuff really) you will see the menu bar in IE is seen as a
              > ToolbarWindow32, whereas for notepad you want see anything about menu,
              > since it is a real menu resource.
              > Probably your next question is what to do about it. Maybe try setting
              > focus on the IE menu bar and then SendKeys.
              >
              > -Piotr
              >

              > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "joelisaacfriedman"
              > <joelisaacfriedman@y...> wrote:
              > > I'm trying to get a MenuSelect to work with IE to no avail (since
              > the
              > > toolbar seems to be out of the question).
              > >
              > > Here is test piece of code:
              > >
              > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
              > >
              > > ($ie) = FindWindowLike(undef, "about:blank", undef);
              > > MenuSelect("&View|&Refresh", $ie, GetMenu($ie, 0));
              > >
              > > On the other hand, this code works:
              > >
              > > use Win32::GuiTest qw(FindWindowLike MenuSelect GetMenu);
              > >
              > > ($notepad) = FindWindowLike(undef, "Untitled", undef);
              > > MenuSelect("&File|E&xit", $ie, GetMenu($notepad, 0));
              > >
              > > Am I missing something here? Are IE's menus screwy somehow?
              > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "perlguitest
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/perlguitest> " on the web.

              _____

            • wenjie wang
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
                --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "stuart arnold"
                ----------8<--------------------------------------
                -----------------------
                > I also found a freebie with source called "IESPY" for getting into
                the
                > "IE" generated HTML and such.,
                > I embellished it for some of my own stuff (SysTreeView32 and so on).
                > It came from "Andrew Fawcett (afawcett@u...)" with a feew
                > caveats.

                ----------8<--------------------------------------
                -----------------------

                Hi Stuart,

                I'm quite intested in IESPY and would like to try it out ;-) where
                could I get
                it from?

                Regards,
                WWang
                +-Wenjie Wang ---------------------------------------------------+
                | WANG Infonology Systems Pty Ltd - Your Partner for the Future |
                | Phone : (02) 9871 2018 |EMail : support@... |
                | Mobile: 0412 688 380 |http://www.wiseagent.com.au/ |
                +-------------------------+--------------------------------------+
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7, 2005
                  > Hey Piotr,
                  > Are you getting royalties from WinSpector? ;-)

                  :-))
                  You are right, it may look like this. I am really enthusiastic about
                  this tool because apart from its usefulness it is such an excellent
                  example of a free tool which out competes commercial one. I am always
                  happy to see commited individuals doing better stuff then
                  corporations.

                  -Piotr
                • stuart arnold
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 8, 2005
                    you'll need to google for it. I got it about 2yrs ago.
                    the address was listed, but unknown where it is now.
                    You may be able to find others similar to it.