GuiTest running on remote server doesn't work properly

  • apdaved
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
      I'm running a perl app on a win server 2003 server and the GuiTest functions only work
      properly when there is an active desktop. i.e. when someone is logged in.

      The script launches a interactive application, and waits a bit for it to process an input file,
      saves the changed input file and then quits the application.

      It works fine when you watch it, but if you log off or minimize your remote desktop, all the
      GuiTest functionality just stops working.

      Anybody know anything about this? Workarounds? Causes?

      Thanks
      Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
        Well the log off issue seems to be security restrictions built into
        Windows OSs. If you lock the desktop you won't be able to send the
        Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the logon prompt, for obvious reasons...

        As far as the minimize issue, not sure. Is your script pausing
        while the screen is minimized, or does it seem to process the script
        without doing anything. Since the remote desktop is a security
        concern in itself, its possible that Windows believes that a user
        can't be interacting with it while its minimized, therefore Windows
        functions that simulate user interaction are prevented. Hope that
        made some sense.. I'd be curious on what return values you are
        getting from the functions, etc.

        --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "apdaved" <apdaved@y...> wrote:
        > I'm running a perl app on a win server 2003 server and the GuiTest
        functions only work
        > properly when there is an active desktop. i.e. when someone is
        logged in.

        > The script launches a interactive application, and waits a bit for
        it to process an input file,
        > saves the changed input file and then quits the application.
        >
        > It works fine when you watch it, but if you log off or minimize
        your remote desktop, all the
        > GuiTest functionality just stops working.
        >
        > Anybody know anything about this? Workarounds? Causes?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Dave
      • apdaved
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
          Thanks, I'll look into that security idea. Hadn't thought of that at all.

          as far as the functioning: the rest of the perl script works just as normal. in fact, the real
          problem is that, because I'm using a system call to start the program and guitest to kill it,
          what happens is that after running for a while, there are about a dozen instances of the
          program running and some limit gets reached and then windows won't let the perl script
          open any more instances.

          I don't know about any specific function return values, except for that one system call to
          start the aplication. It returns successful because it is calling a start command and not
          just the application itself. So that isn't really related to guitest. I will put some debugging
          code in to save the error codes and get back with that info.

          Thanks for the help,
          Dave

          --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis K. Paulsen" <ctrondlpaulsden@y...> wrote:

          > Well the log off issue seems to be security restrictions built into
          > Windows OSs. If you lock the desktop you won't be able to send the
          > Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the logon prompt, for obvious reasons...
          >
          > As far as the minimize issue, not sure. Is your script pausing
          > while the screen is minimized, or does it seem to process the script
          > without doing anything. Since the remote desktop is a security
          > concern in itself, its possible that Windows believes that a user
          > can't be interacting with it while its minimized, therefore Windows
          > functions that simulate user interaction are prevented. Hope that
          > made some sense.. I'd be curious on what return values you are
          > getting from the functions, etc.
          >

          > Regards,
          > Dennis K. Paulsen
          >
          > --- In perlguitest@yahoogroups.com, "apdaved" <apdaved@y...> wrote:
          > > I'm running a perl app on a win server 2003 server and the GuiTest
          > functions only work
          > > properly when there is an active desktop. i.e. when someone is
          > logged in.
          > >
          > > The script launches a interactive application, and waits a bit for
          > it to process an input file,
          > > saves the changed input file and then quits the application.
          > >
          > > It works fine when you watch it, but if you log off or minimize
          > your remote desktop, all the
          > > GuiTest functionality just stops working.
          > >
          > > Anybody know anything about this? Workarounds? Causes?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Dave
        • Gábor Szabó
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 19, 2005
            On 8/20/05, apdaved <apdaved@...> wrote:
            > as far as the functioning: the rest of the perl script works just as normal. in fact, the real
            > problem is that, because I'm using a system call to start the program and guitest to kill it,
            > what happens is that after running for a while, there are about a dozen instances of the
            > program running and some limit gets reached and then windows won't let the perl script
            > open any more instances.

            I don't really get this.
            How do you use GuiTest to close the app ?
            Are you clicking on the [x] on the window or are you selecting some Exit menu ?
            In either case the application - if beaving properly - should shut
            down completly.
            If not, isn't this an indication that there is a bug in the application?

            What happens if you close the application manually?
            do you still accumulkate several running instances?

            Gabor
          • apdaved
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 20, 2005
              to answer your questions from below:

              I'm usind a sendkeys to send a (I think the keystroke combo is alt+f4, I don't have the
              code with me right now)... anyway, it does work fine on my system and on the server...
              when I'm logged in, but I want to be able to leave it running on the server unattented. and
              as soon as I disconnect my remote session to the server, the script stops working
              properly.