Re: Perl discouragement

  • nsager54
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2002
      --- In perlforbeginners@y..., "suszzan" <colagrl@a...> wrote:
      > I'm discouraged. Anyone willing to take on a newbie and help her
      > out? I'm not getting it one bit.
      >
      > Susan

      Hi Susan,
      I am a perl newbie also, but have fairly extensive computer
      experiance. Let me share a short story. A friend once gave me an
      article from Dr. Dobbs Journal to read (on C) which he thought I would
      like. After reading the article five times, I called him and said "I
      may not be as bright as you think that I am, I have read that article
      5 times, and I am just beginning to think that I understand what the
      author is saying." He said "Gee, it took me ten times to get to that
      point." (This person is one of the best programmers that I have ever
      met.). I read the article until I understood it.
      Moral of the story is - "Don't give up". This is my second crack
      at perl, and I did not succeed the first time. Some things that might
      help (more experianced people please correct me if I am wrong.) Perl
      had its beginnings in AWK, SED, and Regular Expressions. Some study in
      those areas might not be misplaced.
      Later
      Norm