Re: Read only the last line of a file??

  • b_harnish
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Chirhart, Brian" <bchirhart@f...> wrote:
      > Is it possible to only read in the last line of a file - a log file for
      > example? I want to parse the LOG's that a program makes, but they can get
      > pretty large and there are a LOT of them. I only need the information on
      > the last line. Any clues?
      >
      > The only way I know how to open a file is with:
      >
      > open (LOG,$_) ||
      > die "Sorry - Died: $!";
      >
      > #Code here....
      > #
      >
      > close(CFG);
      >
      > But that opens and examines the entire LOG file. Any help would be
      > appreciated.

      Another user asked a similar question, and Jahpy suggested using the File::ReadBackwards module for a pre-written implementation of reading the file backwards.

      Using that module, you just read one line (which will be the one at the end of the file), and process that.

      BTW: Your example above opens "LOG" (which is never closed), and closes "CFG" (which is never opened).

      - Brian