Re: [PBML] qw : what is it

  • Jonathan E. Paton
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- Abhra Debroy <abhra@...> wrote: > Hello All

      > I know it is very silly question,still I am asking u all
      > What is the full form of qa ? What does it means ? How it is different with
      > normal array ( @arrray= qa( x y z))

      Since qa() doesn't exist, I'll assume qw() as per subject line.

      The full form of qw for your example is:

      @array = ('x', 'y', 'z');

      Look at the section 'Quote and Quote-like Operators' of 'perldoc perlop' for the other quote
      operators.

      Jonathan Paton

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
    • b_harnish
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2002
        --- In perl-beginner@y..., Abhra Debroy <abhra@p...> wrote:
        > Hello All
        >
        > I know it is very silly question,still I am asking u all
        > What is the full form of qa ? What does it means ? How it is different with
        > normal array ( @arrray= qa( x y z))

        Well, there is no qa(), but for qw:

        qw = Q(uoted) W(ord list).

        The following are mostly similar (have same output):
        @x = split(/\s+/,'STRING1 STRING2 STRING3');
        @x = qw(STRING1 STRING2 STRING3);
        @x = ('STRING1', 'STRING2', 'STRING3');

        With the last two being the most similar, because perl actually compiles the qw into the list like the last one.

        See perldoc perlop.

        - Brian