Perl EXE ?

  • Gordon Stewart
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2002
      Hi, I know yahoo is down now, - this will be sent/received when its up...

      before i forget, can someone explain any benefits of a perl exe file ? - I
      havnt used/created executable files before

      Im just querying,

      If I have other people that want an automated process to upload/download
      files via FTP to a server.. & their Pc does *NOT* have perl installed..

      If I create a perl EXE programme, Will it contain enough perl code /
      process to operate.. - or does each person need to install perl on their pc's ?

      (Theyre not computer-literate)...

      PS - if so - (how i imagine it) - Where / How do i download the programme /
      file to convert CGI scripts to EXE files ?

      G.

      New Zealand websites :-
      Im giving away FREE banner ads :-
      http://n-zealand.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/mylinks/help.shtml#advertise
    • Justin Virgo
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2002
        Hi all,

        I have some trouble here,

        Everytime I try to get my script to run my server
        changes 2 different values in my script? It makes
        %CCodes gets changed to �odes? and %Days is changed to
        �y

        I have NO IDEA why this is happening? Any ideas?

        Thanks everyone

        Justin

        http://mail.yahoo.com/
      • Justin Virgo
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2002
          Oh also my error log says:

          [Tue Mar 5 11:39:48 2002] [error] [client
          209.180.237.234] File does not exist:
          /home/surfsity/public_html/500.shtml
          [Tue Mar 5 11:39:48 2002] [error] [client
          209.180.237.234] Premature end of script headers:
          /home/surfsity/public_html/cgi-bin/ezstatvu.pl
          Unrecognized character \xCC at
          /home/surfsity/public_html/cgi-bin/ezstatvu.pl line
          68.

          ----
          Hi all,

          I have some trouble here,

          Everytime I try to get my script to run my server
          changes 2 different values in my script? It makes
          %CCodes gets changed to �odes? and %Days is changed to
          �y

          I have NO IDEA why this is happening? Any ideas?

          Thanks everyone

          Justin

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • coo_t2
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 5, 2002
            You can use one of the following products to turn you script into an
            exe file.

            PerlApp, this comes with activestate's Perl Dev Kit.
            http://activestate.com/Products/Perl_Dev_Kit/

            Or, perl2exe .
            http://www.indigostar.com/

            They both cost money but are available for evaluation. Not sure if
            the exe's can run as a cgi or not though.. They probably can though,
            but I wouldn't assume it.

            The exe files these products produce can be used on machines that do
            not have perl installed. The perl run time is bundled up with the
            exe. Because of this the minimum size of the executables produced is
            somewhere around 700k.

            --ed

            --- In perl-beginner@y..., Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@y...> wrote:

            > Hi, I know yahoo is down now, - this will be sent/received when its
            up...

            > before i forget, can someone explain any benefits of a perl exe
            file ? - I
            > havnt used/created executable files before
            >
            > Im just querying,
            >
            > If I have other people that want an automated process to
            upload/download
            > files via FTP to a server.. & their Pc does *NOT* have perl
            installed..

            > If I create a perl EXE programme, Will it contain enough perl
            code /
            > process to operate.. - or does each person need to install perl on
            their pc's ?

            > (Theyre not computer-literate)...
            >
            > PS - if so - (how i imagine it) - Where / How do i download the
            programme /
            > file to convert CGI scripts to EXE files ?
            >
            > G.
            >

            > New Zealand websites :-
            > Im giving away FREE banner ads :-
            > http://n-zealand.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/mylinks/help.shtml#advertise
          • Jenda Krynicky
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2002
              From: Justin Virgo <tropicalwebsites@...>

              > Oh also my error log says:
              >
              > [Tue Mar 5 11:39:48 2002] [error] [client
              > 209.180.237.234] File does not exist:
              > /home/surfsity/public_html/500.shtml
              > [Tue Mar 5 11:39:48 2002] [error] [client
              > 209.180.237.234] Premature end of script headers:
              > /home/surfsity/public_html/cgi-bin/ezstatvu.pl
              > Unrecognized character \xCC at
              > /home/surfsity/public_html/cgi-bin/ezstatvu.pl line
              > 68.
              >

              > ----
              > Hi all,
              >
              > I have some trouble here,
              >
              > Everytime I try to get my script to run my server
              > changes 2 different values in my script? It makes
              > %CCodes gets changed to Ěodes? and %Days is changed to
              > Úy

              How do you upload it?

              Jenda

              =========== Jenda@... == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==========
              It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain.
              I can't find it.
              --- me
            • b_harnish
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2002
                --- In perl-beginner@y..., Justin Virgo <tropicalwebsites@y...> wrote:
                > Oh also my error log says:
                >
                > [Tue Mar 5 11:39:48 2002] [error] [client
                > 209.180.237.234] File does not exist:
                > /home/surfsity/public_html/500.shtml
                > [Tue Mar 5 11:39:48 2002] [error] [client
                > 209.180.237.234] Premature end of script headers:
                > /home/surfsity/public_html/cgi-bin/ezstatvu.pl
                > Unrecognized character \xCC at
                > /home/surfsity/public_html/cgi-bin/ezstatvu.pl line
                > 68.
                >

                > ----
                > Hi all,
                >
                > I have some trouble here,
                >
                > Everytime I try to get my script to run my server
                > changes 2 different values in my script? It makes
                > %CCodes gets changed to Ìodes? and %Days is changed to
                > Úy
                >
                > I have NO IDEA why this is happening? Any ideas?
                >
                > Thanks everyone
                >
                > Justin

                The problem may be in the way you're uploading it. If you're uploading it b=
                y a web interface, that could be it. The symptoms look like something is try=
                ing to URL decode your script. It's basically doing this:
                s/%([a-fA-F0-9]{2})/pack('H*',$1)/ge;

                - Brian
              • Justin Virgo
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 6, 2002
                  Hi Jenda,

                  I'm used Dreamweaver to upload the script. I set it to
                  upload .cgi and pl in ascii and that worked fine,
                  However I think what my problem was, was that I used
                  my web host's online editor to edit it real quick
                  while I was changning the chmod on the script.

                  After I used their editor the script changed.

                  The script is working now (check it out if you like ;)
                  http://www.surfsity.com/stats

                  I contacted my web host (rackhost.net)re I'll have
                  questions in the future as I am installing close to 30
                  scripts and am having trouble with some.

                  Thanks,

                  Justin

                  http://mail.yahoo.com/