What is "variable suicide"?

  • Dave Benware
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2002
      From: http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6.1/lib/strict.html
      "...
      strict vars

      This generates a compile-time error if you access a variable that wasn't declared via "our" or
      use vars, localized via my(), or wasn't fully qualified. Because this is to avoid variable suicide
      problems and subtle dynamic scoping issues, a merely local() variable isn't good enough. See
      perlfunc/my and perlfunc/local..."

      What the heck is "variable suicide"? Do they overdose or just jump
      off of bridges?

      Also, I have to wonder what is meant by "subtle dynamic scoping issues"?
      (It sounds more like a graduate dissertation than a coding problem that
      a beginner might have).

      Bompa