RE: [PBML] Complete Newbie

  • Oliver Manickum
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 25, 2000
      RE: [PBML] Complete Newbie

      Ahh Mike ...

              You make it sound so boring ;O( heheehhehe

      - Oliver

      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 25, 2000
        RE: [PBML] Complete Newbie
        Well, in a way, it is. You can do some pretty cool things with it, but it's still just an I/O language. =)

        Mike "Theseus" Payne
        theseus@...
        http://www.simpleminded.org

        Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 10:34 AM

        Ahh Mike ...

                You make it sound so boring ;O( heheehhehe

        - Oliver

        > ***Shad says> Excellent. I use notepad for all my web stuff. I'm running a
        > dell 233 laptop (that locks up at random) with win98 so I don't wanna put
        > any unnessacary load on it by trying to code in a resource intensive
        package
        > like some of the editors out there for html and scripting.
        >
        > <snip>
        > You can get a Win32 build of perl, but it's not quite the same, especially
        > with file
        > paths.</snip>
        >
        > ***Shad says> Is there any complexity to the way it deals with file paths.
        > Some of the code i've seen uses a lot of /'s and \'s.
        >
        > It's not an easy language to learn for someone who doesn't at least
        > understand basic programming.
        >
        > ***Shad says> Well,  I understand basic programming practice. I've written
        > stuff in Omnis, VB, Pascal (ick) and so on as well as html and Javascript.
        >
        > 5. What makes Perl an abnormal language?
        >
        > ***Shad says> I just 'assumed' that it was gonna function very differently
        > from the sort of languages that people use at large. I've been told that
        > PERL is very much a 'black box' kind of language whereby you take input
        from
        > the user using FORMs and send it out into the nether, and then they get a
        > response from the PERL script which is normally generated HTML. (am I
        > right?)
        > SO, If I'm correct, instead of PERL doing all the work, it processes stuff
        > sent to it and gives stuff back. (or doesn't) the user never sees the
        PERL,
        > only the results.
        > (perhaps I'm wrong. ;)

        > Mike "Theseus" Payne
        > theseus@...
        > http://www.simpleminded.org

      • Mohammed Sameer
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 25, 2000
          Hi Shad,
          Welcome with us
          1) Perl is an interpreted language like HTML
          when you run the program it is compiled at that time only & at every time
          you run it
          2) I run WIN 98 & i write perl scripts with full functions except for
          Flock & Sending mail !!!!!
          3)You can download Perl from
          http://www.activestate.com
          =====
          Sorry i don't know more :-(

          I've been lurking for about 5 digests but now I'm gonna try and get
          involved.
          My name's Shad, and I've no experience with PERL. All I've really done is
          HTML & forms and javascript. The forms never had any back-end intervention
          but I really need to learn about this.

          I've been told that PERL is probably my best bet but to be brutally honest I
[...]

        • Smith, Sheldon
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 26, 2000
            All languages are just "I/O languages." Without some form of I/O, all you
            have is a CPU loop:
            10 I = 1
            20 I = I + 1
            30 if I < 1000000000 goto 20
            40 end

            "Perl is short for Practical Extraction and Report Language," although it
            has also been called a "Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister." There's no
            point in arguing which one is more correct, because both are endorsed by
            Larry Wall, Perl's creator and chief architect, implementor, and maintainer.
            He created Perl when he was trying to produce some reports from a
            Usenet-news-like hierarchy of files for a bug-reporting system, and awk wan
            out of steam..."
            -- "Learning Perl", chapter 1 -- O'Reilly & Associates

            Mr. Wall took the functionality of several tools of Unix origin and combined
            them into one general-purpose tool. awk, sed, sort and -shell, yes, it acts
            like those. If you have not seen them before, regular expressions (again of
            Unix origin) are mind-bogglingly powerful for string matching and
            substitution. Stuff that would take literally pages of code in another
            language can be done in a few lines in Perl.
            Object-Oriented? Sure, no problem. It's as object-oriented as C++, which is
            to say, totally OO, none, or somewhere in-between, it's up to you.
            JIT-compiler? Well, AFAIK, it examines the syntax and, if there are no
            errors, converts it to internal token code, which it then runs. So I guess
            you can consider it to compile at the very last moment, and then always
            cleans up when done.

            Regardless of what any book says, if you have never programmed before, you
            really need to take a class or two on programming theory. Anybody can write
            crap code (and quite a few do).
            Sheldon E. Smith
            Compaq Global Services
            Senior Technology Consultant
            Technology Integration Group

            7831 Glenroy Road, Suite 250
            Bloomington, Minnesota 55439

          • webmaster@bmw-club.org.uk
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 27, 2000
              --- In perl-beginner@egroups.com, Shad <shad@b...> wrote:
              > 4) Is there a 'PERL' for beginners tutorial ? what's the best
              > resource to get going ?

              Beginners Guide to Perl/CGI --- http://www.lies.com/begperl/

              The CGI Resource Index ---
              http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Documentation/CGI_Tutorials/

              ===============
              Greg Smith
              BMW Club [www.bmw-club.org.uk]
            • Gerrit Haase
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 27, 2000
                Shad:
                > 2) I'm running Win 98. I'm assuming you don't need a unix box to
                > code in it. am I right ?

                Me:
                I'm running cygwin-bash-shell, a substitute for dos-shell, and it is
                really unix-style, you are able to mount drives, hardlink files, all
                the pretty unixstuff that is unavailable for Win32 (best of all is a
                free c/c++ compiler, make and so on, that enables you to install perl
                as it likes most, on unix)
                You really get more out of perl with cygwin, load your cygwin-setup
                down and start it, it will install itself and works, no problems with
                dos-shell-lacks anymore. There is also a Perl-binary for this shell,
                and you get all the other stuff to work with cygwin under windows.
                Look at http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/
                It is really great! Forget Windows.
                Gerrit
                --
                Gerrit Peter Haase
              • Gerrit Haase
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 27, 2000
                  Since Redhat is really hard to get this time, you can also download
                  the setup from mirrors, look in 'latest' directory

                  ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/gnu/cygwin (Austria)
                  ftp://ftp.u-aizu.ac.jp/pub/gnu/gnu-win32/ (Japan)
                  ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com/pub/sourceware/cygwin/ (US)

                  ftp://sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz/MIRRORS/sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/cygwin/
                  (Chech Republic)
                  ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/mirrors/cygnus
                  (Germany) with FULL openssh/openssl
                  ftp://ftp.u-aizu.ac.jp/pub/gnu/gnu-win32/ (Japan)

                  Gerrit
                  --
                  Gerrit Peter Haase
                • Randy Garrett
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 15, 2000
                    What is the matter with you people?! LOL!

                    What about www.perl.com which is the O'Reilly site for Perl Programming!
                    They are the MASTERS of Perl!

                    I occasionally go there to pray to the wisdom of the Perl Gods! (grinning)

                    Randy Garrett
                    Santa Rosa, CA USA
                    randolph-garrett@...
                    (O'Reilly is just 10 miles from where I live)
                  • Randy Garrett
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 15, 2000
                      Ooops, spoke too soon on the last post. I just read Sheldon Smith's post.

                      Randy Garrett
                      Santa Rosa, CA USA
                      randolph-garrett@...
                    • Smith, Sheldon
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 16, 2000
                        And (for any really new newbies) don't forget CPAN: Comprehensive Perl
                        Archive Network at
                        http://www.cpan.org