hi all

  • dan_c39
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 11, 2002
      I have a problem, I am captureing a date by month day and year and
      calling it $sort_date and then printing it to the screen.

      now I want to say if $sort_date is 12 months older than system("date")
      dont print the link leave it off page.

      can anyone help out here?
    • b_harnish
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 11, 2002
        my $sortdate = '01/10/2001';

        {
        my @x = (split(/\//,$sortdate))[2,0,1];
        $x[0]++;

        my @today = (localtime)[5,4,3];
        $today[0]+=1900; $today[1]++;

        my $yearlater = join('', map { '0'x(length($_) % 2) . $_ } @x);
        my $now = join('', map { '0'x(length($_) % 2) . $_ } @today);
        print $sortdate if ($now < $yearlater);
        }

        - Brian

        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "dan_c39" <dan_c39@y...> wrote:
        > I have a problem, I am captureing a date by month day and year and
        > calling it $sort_date and then printing it to the screen.
        >
        > now I want to say if $sort_date is 12 months older than system("date")
        > dont print the link leave it off page.
        >

        > can anyone help out here?
      • searcydigest
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 22, 2004
          I'm new to perl. I want to learn how to use it and learn what is
          going on and what program runs perl etc. thanks.
        • J.E. Cripps
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 22, 2004
            > searcydigest <searcydigest@...> did here inquire:

            > I'm new to perl.

            welcome!

            > I want to learn how to use it

            read the docs. start with
            perldoc perlintro
            and/or
            perldoc perltoc

            > and learn what is going on

            in your code? read the docs... if that fails ask here (use strict
            if you do)

            in perl?
            perldoc perlguts
            is a start

            > and what program runs perl etc. thanks.

            perl (the binary) runs Perl (the language)

            HTH. Any special interests?
          • franki
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 23, 2004
              searcydigest wrote:
              > I'm new to perl. I want to learn how to use it and learn what is
              > going on and what program runs perl etc. thanks.

              Some places you might start your search.

              http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/pod/perlintro.html
              http://learn.perl.org
              http://www.perl.org/docs.html

              hope that helps get you started.

              --
              rgds

              Franki
            • nikunj
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
                hi all...!!!!

                I am looking for a logic to look into a binary file...!!!! Can
                someone help me.

                Bye,
                Nicck.
              • Paul Archer
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
                  3:45pm, nikunj wrote:

                  > hi all...!!!!
                  >
                  > I am looking for a logic to look into a binary file...!!!! Can
                  > someone help me.

                  Oh, where to start? Where to start?

                  Your question can be simplified slightly to "I need help". More succinct,
                  but just as useless, really.
                  Try asking your question again, stating (everybody, repeat with me):
                  1) what you are trying to do (in enough detail to accurately describe the
                  situation)
                  2) what you are having trouble with
                  3) what you have already tried

                  But before that, I suggest looking through the online documentation
                  ("perldoc" is your friend), and going to www.perl.org (and learn.perl.org).

                  I have said it before: this mailing list list is like a certain deity: we
                  help those who help themselves.
                • Nicck_par
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 4, 2004
                    I have already mentioned long before...!!!

                    Actually I m trying to open some binary file which is a image sofware in COFF format. and I want to get the symbols inside it. I am new to perl so i havent try out any option but want to try out someting intially with someones help....!!!! if I can get initial idea i can look forther...!!!

                    Bye
                    Nikunj.

                    Paul Archer <tigger@...> wrote:
                    3:45pm, nikunj wrote:

                    > hi all...!!!!
                    >
                    > I am looking for a logic to look into a binary file...!!!! Can
                    > someone help me.

                    Oh, where to start? Where to start?

                    Your question can be simplified slightly to "I need help". More succinct,
                    but just as useless, really.
                    Try asking your question again, stating (everybody, repeat with me):
                    1) what you are trying to do (in enough detail to accurately describe the
                    situation)
                    2) what you are having trouble with
                    3) what you have already tried

                    But before that, I suggest looking through the online documentation
                    ("perldoc" is your friend), and going to www.perl.org (and learn.perl.org).

                    I have said it before: this mailing list list is like a certain deity: we
                    help those who help themselves.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    Get unlimited calls to

                    U.S./Canada

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2004
                      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Nicck_par <nicck_par@y...> wrote:
                      > I have already mentioned long before...!!!
                      >
                      > Actually I m trying to open some binary file which is a image
                      sofware in COFF format. and I want to get the symbols inside it. I am
                      new to perl so i havent try out any option but want to try out
                      someting intially with someones help....!!!! if I can get initial idea
                      i can look forther...!!!

                      > Bye
                      > Nikunj.
                      >
                      > Paul Archer <tigger@i...> wrote:
                      > 3:45pm, nikunj wrote:
                      >

                      > > hi all...!!!!
                      > >
                      > > I am looking for a logic to look into a binary file...!!!! Can
                      > > someone help me.
                      > >
                      > Oh, where to start? Where to start?
                      >
                      > Your question can be simplified slightly to "I need help". More
                      succinct,
                      > but just as useless, really.
                      > Try asking your question again, stating (everybody, repeat with me):
                      > 1) what you are trying to do (in enough detail to accurately
                      describe the
                      > situation)
                      > 2) what you are having trouble with
                      > 3) what you have already tried
                      >
                      > But before that, I suggest looking through the online documentation
                      > ("perldoc" is your friend), and going to www.perl.org (and
                      learn.perl.org).

                      > I have said it before: this mailing list list is like a certain
                      deity: we
                      > help those who help themselves.
                      >

                      > binary file which is a image sofware in COFF format. and I
                      > want to get the symbols inside it.
                      You didn't mention this in your original post.
                      I've changed the Subject because 'hi all' doesn't summarize your
                      question at all (and it should). I read this group on the web and only
                      look at posts with subjects that interest me or that I feel I can
                      provide answers to. [I don't know why I'm reading this - bored?]

                      I went to http://search.cpan.org and entered "COFF".
                      It returned:
                      http://search.cpan.org/~autrijus/Win32-Exe-0.08/lib/Win32/Exe.pm
                      Might be useful.