Re: [PBML] Installing a perl script on a server

  • don94579
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      What is windows scripting?
      Thanks,
      Don

      --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Franki" <frankieh@v...> wrote:
      > how complicated is your script?
      > I wondered about this myself once, and I found alot of stuff for
      converting
      > perl to .bat files that don't require perl to be loaded.. I don't
      fance your
      > chances of getting it workin easily with just perl.exe.
      >
      > Is the script a cgi script? if so, you will need to configure the
      web server
      > for it anyway..
      >
      > if you can't install perl on the box, and the script is too complex
      to use
      > perl2bat then perhaps you should be using VB or similiar... they
      will run on
      > windows just fine.. or perhaps windows scripting.. there are some
      > alternatives to perl...
      > if it is a CGI script, perhaps you should look into ASP, if its a
      webserver,
      > its probably using using IIS,, which works just fine with ASP,
      (since thats
      > the main thing it has been for up till now.)
      >
      > I'd look at a compiled language if I were you...
      >
      > but that is just my opinion, and I am by no means an expert,
      particularly
      > with NT/2000.
      >

      > rgds
      >
      > Frank

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • don94579
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        It's not complicated. It's not CGI. It's going to be a script that
        runs an infinite loop checking the date and time of a file on 7
        servers and displaying the result or taking some action on the result.
        Another script would run with NT scheduler and every month copy some
        files from 7 servers to an archive server.
        I was thinking perl would be great for this. I think C++ might be
        overkill and besides I don't know C++. I used to program C around 5
        years ago so I guess I could pick up C++, but still the learning
        curve might be steeper than Perl.

      • coo_t2
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          You might want to check out perlApp at http://www.activestate.com .
          perlApp is part of the Perl Dev Kit and it's supposed to let you
          create stand-alone perl apps that don't need the perl interpreter.
          I think it actually bundles what it needs to interpret the script
          with the .exe file. There's also a program called perl2exe, you can
          check it out here http://www.indigostar.com/perl2exe.htm ..
          I think both of these are in the $200-$300 dollar range.
          I think you get a lot with the Perl Dev Kit. Tools that let you do
          all kinds of stuff with perl.. I'm probably gonna buy it in the not
          so distant future, I don't need it right now though..
          Oh also, with perlApp, with the purchase of one user license you're
          supposed to be able to use both the linux and windows versions.. So
          you can make exe's for both platforms.

          hth,
          --ed