Installing a perl script on a server

  • don94579
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
      After I develop a script on my PC under NT4.0, I will want to copy it
      out to a production server and run it there.
      I don't want to install Perl to the production server however. I just
      want to run the script there as smoothly and as unobtrusively as
      possible.
      I know I posed the question a few weeks ago and someone advised me to
      just install perl to the server, but the more I think about it, the
      more I don't want to do this. I can't reboot the server, for one
      thing, because it's under a constant production load and I don't want
      to mess with the registry, etc.
      I know that perl is an interpreted language so it seems to me that
      all I need to do is to install perl.exe and the script and possible a
      library or two.
      Does anyone have any experience with this.
      Thanks,
      Don
    • Franki
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
        how complicated is your script?
        I wondered about this myself once, and I found alot of stuff for converting
        perl to .bat files that don't require perl to be loaded.. I don't fance your
        chances of getting it workin easily with just perl.exe.

        Is the script a cgi script? if so, you will need to configure the web server
        for it anyway..

        if you can't install perl on the box, and the script is too complex to use
        perl2bat then perhaps you should be using VB or similiar... they will run on
        windows just fine.. or perhaps windows scripting.. there are some
        alternatives to perl...
        if it is a CGI script, perhaps you should look into ASP, if its a webserver,
        its probably using using IIS,, which works just fine with ASP, (since thats
        the main thing it has been for up till now.)

        I'd look at a compiled language if I were you...

        but that is just my opinion, and I am by no means an expert, particularly
        with NT/2000.

        rgds

        Frank

[...]

        Unsubscribing info is here:

      • don94579
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
          What is windows scripting?
          Thanks,
          Don

          --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Franki" <frankieh@v...> wrote:
          > how complicated is your script?
          > I wondered about this myself once, and I found alot of stuff for
          converting
          > perl to .bat files that don't require perl to be loaded.. I don't
          fance your
          > chances of getting it workin easily with just perl.exe.
          >
          > Is the script a cgi script? if so, you will need to configure the
          web server
          > for it anyway..
          >
          > if you can't install perl on the box, and the script is too complex
          to use
          > perl2bat then perhaps you should be using VB or similiar... they
          will run on
          > windows just fine.. or perhaps windows scripting.. there are some
          > alternatives to perl...
          > if it is a CGI script, perhaps you should look into ASP, if its a
          webserver,
          > its probably using using IIS,, which works just fine with ASP,
          (since thats
          > the main thing it has been for up till now.)
          >
          > I'd look at a compiled language if I were you...
          >
          > but that is just my opinion, and I am by no means an expert,
          particularly
          > with NT/2000.
          >

          > rgds
          >
          > Frank

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • don94579
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
            It's not complicated. It's not CGI. It's going to be a script that
            runs an infinite loop checking the date and time of a file on 7
            servers and displaying the result or taking some action on the result.
            Another script would run with NT scheduler and every month copy some
            files from 7 servers to an archive server.
            I was thinking perl would be great for this. I think C++ might be
            overkill and besides I don't know C++. I used to program C around 5
            years ago so I guess I could pick up C++, but still the learning
            curve might be steeper than Perl.

          • coo_t2
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 2, 2002
              You might want to check out perlApp at http://www.activestate.com .
              perlApp is part of the Perl Dev Kit and it's supposed to let you
              create stand-alone perl apps that don't need the perl interpreter.
              I think it actually bundles what it needs to interpret the script
              with the .exe file. There's also a program called perl2exe, you can
              check it out here http://www.indigostar.com/perl2exe.htm ..
              I think both of these are in the $200-$300 dollar range.
              I think you get a lot with the Perl Dev Kit. Tools that let you do
              all kinds of stuff with perl.. I'm probably gonna buy it in the not
              so distant future, I don't need it right now though..
              Oh also, with perlApp, with the purchase of one user license you're
              supposed to be able to use both the linux and windows versions.. So
              you can make exe's for both platforms.

              hth,
              --ed