Re: Perl Tk module installation - HELP!

  • chrisdingman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      makefile.pl should, however makefile.PL does not...in UNIX those are
      two completely different files.

      Chris

      --- In perl-beginner@y..., "webmonyet" <webmonyet@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Chris,
      >
      > Does the makefile.pl comes with the Tk tarball (as mentioned, it
      > doesn't)? Or do I have to create a new makefile.pl if it does not
      > exist? If I have to create a makefile.pl...then I need help in that
      > too.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "chrisdingman" <chrisdingman@y...> wrote:
      > > Try makefile.pl in all lowercase. UNIX is very picky when it
      comes
      > > to case in filenames...
      > >
      > > Chris
      > > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "webmonyet" <webmonyet@y...> wrote:
      > > > I got Perl 5.6 installed on my Sun boxes. After which
      > > > I tried to install the Tk module. I first had the tar
      > > > file copied to /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/.
      > > >
      > > > I then decompressed and untar the file, and the
      > > > modules or files were installed to
      > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib
      > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/Tk
      > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/auto/Tk
      > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/arch/auto/Tk
      > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man1
      > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man3
      > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/script
      > > >
      > > > Running my Tk script gave the following error message:
      > > >
      > > > "Can't locate loadable object for module Tk:Event in
      > > > @INC ..."
      > > >
      > > > I next step I did was "perl Makefile.PL". However, the
      > > > Makefile.PL does not exist. I thought Makefile.PL
      > > > comes with the tar file.
      > > >
      > > > Please help.
      > > >
      > > > Many thanks.
    • Franki
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
        Hi everyone, hope you all had a wonderful new years....

        I have a question that isnt' a code question per see...

        I want to start using strict on everything, but something confuses me..

        If a Variable needs to be global, (ie many different subs use it all over
        the place.)
        how can you use strict since you can't define it with "my" and "local" is no
        good either..

        Is there a "proper" way to predefine a veriable as global that strictures
        doesn't object to???

        Its a question I have been meaning to ask for ages, I was just sortof hoping
        someone else would ask
        it first..

        I lurk on this list all the time, but I only offer help when I know the
        answer (like the questions awhile back
        about how to setup activeperl for .cgi extensions, stuff like that.)

        but I wanted to say that I read every post and try to get something from
        them all.
        and to say thankyou to all of you for the help I have recieved in the past
        from this list.

        I remember being a better programmer when I was 14 and taught myself basic
        then I am now.. wonder why that is.... :-)

        Many thanks to all.

        regards

        Frank
      • webmonyet
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
          Hmm...I tried the small caps. Didn't work. Are u sure about the
          naming convention? I finally consulted the camel book and it says it
          should be "Makefile.PL". I am confused.

          Anyone else care to share their experience??

          Thanks. Happy New Year and Happy Coding Perl!