Re: Perl Tk module installation - HELP!

  • webmonyet
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      Hi Chris,

      Does the makefile.pl comes with the Tk tarball (as mentioned, it
      doesn't)? Or do I have to create a new makefile.pl if it does not
      exist? If I have to create a makefile.pl...then I need help in that
      too.

      Thanks.

      --- In perl-beginner@y..., "chrisdingman" <chrisdingman@y...> wrote:
      > Try makefile.pl in all lowercase. UNIX is very picky when it comes
      > to case in filenames...
      >
      > Chris
      > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "webmonyet" <webmonyet@y...> wrote:
      > > I got Perl 5.6 installed on my Sun boxes. After which
      > > I tried to install the Tk module. I first had the tar
      > > file copied to /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/.
      > >
      > > I then decompressed and untar the file, and the
      > > modules or files were installed to
      > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib
      > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/Tk
      > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/auto/Tk
      > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/arch/auto/Tk
      > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man1
      > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man3
      > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/script
      > >
      > > Running my Tk script gave the following error message:
      > >
      > > "Can't locate loadable object for module Tk:Event in
      > > @INC ..."
      > >
      > > I next step I did was "perl Makefile.PL". However, the
      > > Makefile.PL does not exist. I thought Makefile.PL
      > > comes with the tar file.
      > >
      > > Please help.
      > >
      > > Many thanks.
    • chrisdingman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
        makefile.pl should, however makefile.PL does not...in UNIX those are
        two completely different files.

        Chris

        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "webmonyet" <webmonyet@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Chris,
        >
        > Does the makefile.pl comes with the Tk tarball (as mentioned, it
        > doesn't)? Or do I have to create a new makefile.pl if it does not
        > exist? If I have to create a makefile.pl...then I need help in that
        > too.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "chrisdingman" <chrisdingman@y...> wrote:
        > > Try makefile.pl in all lowercase. UNIX is very picky when it
        comes
        > > to case in filenames...
        > >
        > > Chris
        > > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "webmonyet" <webmonyet@y...> wrote:
        > > > I got Perl 5.6 installed on my Sun boxes. After which
        > > > I tried to install the Tk module. I first had the tar
        > > > file copied to /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/.
        > > >
        > > > I then decompressed and untar the file, and the
        > > > modules or files were installed to
        > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib
        > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/Tk
        > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/auto/Tk
        > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/arch/auto/Tk
        > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man1
        > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man3
        > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/script
        > > >
        > > > Running my Tk script gave the following error message:
        > > >
        > > > "Can't locate loadable object for module Tk:Event in
        > > > @INC ..."
        > > >
        > > > I next step I did was "perl Makefile.PL". However, the
        > > > Makefile.PL does not exist. I thought Makefile.PL
        > > > comes with the tar file.
        > > >
        > > > Please help.
        > > >
        > > > Many thanks.
      • Franki
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
          Hi everyone, hope you all had a wonderful new years....

          I have a question that isnt' a code question per see...

          I want to start using strict on everything, but something confuses me..

          If a Variable needs to be global, (ie many different subs use it all over
          the place.)
          how can you use strict since you can't define it with "my" and "local" is no
          good either..

          Is there a "proper" way to predefine a veriable as global that strictures
          doesn't object to???

          Its a question I have been meaning to ask for ages, I was just sortof hoping
          someone else would ask
          it first..

          I lurk on this list all the time, but I only offer help when I know the
          answer (like the questions awhile back
          about how to setup activeperl for .cgi extensions, stuff like that.)

          but I wanted to say that I read every post and try to get something from
          them all.
          and to say thankyou to all of you for the help I have recieved in the past
          from this list.

          I remember being a better programmer when I was 14 and taught myself basic
          then I am now.. wonder why that is.... :-)

          Many thanks to all.

          regards

          Frank
        • webmonyet
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
            Hmm...I tried the small caps. Didn't work. Are u sure about the
            naming convention? I finally consulted the camel book and it says it
            should be "Makefile.PL". I am confused.

            Anyone else care to share their experience??

            Thanks. Happy New Year and Happy Coding Perl!