Perl Tk module installation - HELP!

  • webmonyet
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
      I got Perl 5.6 installed on my Sun boxes. After which
      I tried to install the Tk module. I first had the tar
      file copied to /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/.

      I then decompressed and untar the file, and the
      modules or files were installed to
      /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib
      /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/Tk
      /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/auto/Tk
      /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/arch/auto/Tk
      /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man1
      /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man3
      /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/script

      Running my Tk script gave the following error message:

      "Can't locate loadable object for module Tk:Event in
      @INC ..."

      I next step I did was "perl Makefile.PL". However, the
      Makefile.PL does not exist. I thought Makefile.PL
      comes with the tar file.

      Please help.

      Many thanks.
    • chrisdingman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
        Try makefile.pl in all lowercase. UNIX is very picky when it comes
        to case in filenames...

        Chris
        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "webmonyet" <webmonyet@y...> wrote:
        > I got Perl 5.6 installed on my Sun boxes. After which
        > I tried to install the Tk module. I first had the tar
        > file copied to /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/.
        >
        > I then decompressed and untar the file, and the
        > modules or files were installed to
        > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib
        > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/Tk
        > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/auto/Tk
        > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/arch/auto/Tk
        > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man1
        > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man3
        > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/script
        >
        > Running my Tk script gave the following error message:
        >
        > "Can't locate loadable object for module Tk:Event in
        > @INC ..."
        >
        > I next step I did was "perl Makefile.PL". However, the
        > Makefile.PL does not exist. I thought Makefile.PL
        > comes with the tar file.
        >
        > Please help.
        >
        > Many thanks.
      • webmonyet
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
          Hi Chris,

          Does the makefile.pl comes with the Tk tarball (as mentioned, it
          doesn't)? Or do I have to create a new makefile.pl if it does not
          exist? If I have to create a makefile.pl...then I need help in that
          too.

          Thanks.

          --- In perl-beginner@y..., "chrisdingman" <chrisdingman@y...> wrote:
          > Try makefile.pl in all lowercase. UNIX is very picky when it comes
          > to case in filenames...
          >
          > Chris
          > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "webmonyet" <webmonyet@y...> wrote:
          > > I got Perl 5.6 installed on my Sun boxes. After which
          > > I tried to install the Tk module. I first had the tar
          > > file copied to /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/.
          > >
          > > I then decompressed and untar the file, and the
          > > modules or files were installed to
          > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib
          > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/Tk
          > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/auto/Tk
          > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/arch/auto/Tk
          > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man1
          > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man3
          > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/script
          > >
          > > Running my Tk script gave the following error message:
          > >
          > > "Can't locate loadable object for module Tk:Event in
          > > @INC ..."
          > >
          > > I next step I did was "perl Makefile.PL". However, the
          > > Makefile.PL does not exist. I thought Makefile.PL
          > > comes with the tar file.
          > >
          > > Please help.
          > >
          > > Many thanks.
        • chrisdingman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
            makefile.pl should, however makefile.PL does not...in UNIX those are
            two completely different files.

            Chris

            --- In perl-beginner@y..., "webmonyet" <webmonyet@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Chris,
            >
            > Does the makefile.pl comes with the Tk tarball (as mentioned, it
            > doesn't)? Or do I have to create a new makefile.pl if it does not
            > exist? If I have to create a makefile.pl...then I need help in that
            > too.
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "chrisdingman" <chrisdingman@y...> wrote:
            > > Try makefile.pl in all lowercase. UNIX is very picky when it
            comes
            > > to case in filenames...
            > >
            > > Chris
            > > --- In perl-beginner@y..., "webmonyet" <webmonyet@y...> wrote:
            > > > I got Perl 5.6 installed on my Sun boxes. After which
            > > > I tried to install the Tk module. I first had the tar
            > > > file copied to /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/.
            > > >
            > > > I then decompressed and untar the file, and the
            > > > modules or files were installed to
            > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib
            > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/Tk
            > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/lib/auto/Tk
            > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/arch/auto/Tk
            > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man1
            > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/man3
            > > > /my/perldirectory/lib/site_perl/blib/script
            > > >
            > > > Running my Tk script gave the following error message:
            > > >
            > > > "Can't locate loadable object for module Tk:Event in
            > > > @INC ..."
            > > >
            > > > I next step I did was "perl Makefile.PL". However, the
            > > > Makefile.PL does not exist. I thought Makefile.PL
            > > > comes with the tar file.
            > > >
            > > > Please help.
            > > >
            > > > Many thanks.
          • Franki
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 2, 2002
              Hi everyone, hope you all had a wonderful new years....

              I have a question that isnt' a code question per see...

              I want to start using strict on everything, but something confuses me..

              If a Variable needs to be global, (ie many different subs use it all over
              the place.)
              how can you use strict since you can't define it with "my" and "local" is no
              good either..

              Is there a "proper" way to predefine a veriable as global that strictures
              doesn't object to???

              Its a question I have been meaning to ask for ages, I was just sortof hoping
              someone else would ask
              it first..

              I lurk on this list all the time, but I only offer help when I know the
              answer (like the questions awhile back
              about how to setup activeperl for .cgi extensions, stuff like that.)

              but I wanted to say that I read every post and try to get something from
              them all.
              and to say thankyou to all of you for the help I have recieved in the past
              from this list.

              I remember being a better programmer when I was 14 and taught myself basic
              then I am now.. wonder why that is.... :-)

              Many thanks to all.

              regards

              Frank
            • webmonyet
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
                Hmm...I tried the small caps. Didn't work. Are u sure about the
                naming convention? I finally consulted the camel book and it says it
                should be "Makefile.PL". I am confused.

                Anyone else care to share their experience??

                Thanks. Happy New Year and Happy Coding Perl!