Re: [PBML] Create new window,,,

  • Richard Taylor
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2001
      From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@...>
      To: <perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2001 11:15 PM
      Subject: Re: [PBML] Create new window,,,

      > At this 11:52 30/12/01 -0800 Richard Taylor squeaked in a high voice
      > sumeting about :
      >

      > >other option.. sniff to see what they have. If window.open is not
      supported
      > >use the target attribute of the anchor tag. You'll get near perfect
      support
      > >that way.
      > >
      > >Also, if it's an internal project rather then your own you'll know what
      your
      > >user base is and then you'll know whether window.open is the way to go.
      > >
      > >Regards,
      >

      > Thanks - Its given me some ideas to work on..
      > Ps - its for the web - Not internal/intranet... - so my "base" isnt set -
      > I could do a sniff routine .. & do it that way..
      >
      > Thanks for the ideas.
      >
      > G.

      Hi Gordon,

      Personally, I've just always used window.open() and haven't worked around
      it. It's supported by such a high user base that the work around hasn't
      ever seemed necessary. It's up to you - if you think the people viewing it
      are technically savvy or bought a new computer within the past 4 years it's
      no problem - it's also based entirely on how you feel you want people to
      perceive your site, especially if you aren't selling something and need to
      have a really wide user base. FYI, almost every site I've worked on in the
      past two years has had confirmation popups, popup slide-shows, or some other
      form of pop-up it's very widely supported - the sniff routine is definitely
      overkill and could end up working against you as browser sniffing is
      probably less accurate then the odds that someone has a user agent that
      supports window.open();.

      And one other key pop-up thing. Be sure to add the following to your body
      tag:
      onLoad="window.focus();" This brings the pop-up above the parent window -
      otherwise they have a tendency to be below the parent window and only show
      up in your task bar if you have a PC and they can end up buried on the Mac
      as they don't have a task bar.

      Best Regards,

      Richard