How do I start to learn Perl?

  • sobrinha39
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2001
      To Life Immortal

      Hello. I am a Perl newbie. I have heard so many good things about the language, so I decided to seriously learn it. I went to Walden's and bought Perl for Dummies. After reading the book, I decided to take the next step: installing a perl compiler on my WinME Gateway Computer.

      Ummm, where can I get a compiler? Which one should I download? Is the Perl compiler DOS or Win based?

      See, told ya I'm a newbie :)

      Have an interesting New Year.

      Freedom or Death
      Xara Eleni aka Sobrinha39

      Visit Xara at http://ca.geocities.com/ibisxara
      Exercise the imagination, become a MUDder!
      'Aye child, there be many gits in this fecking world;
      the trick is to recognize them early and keep out their bloody way!'
    • Purr
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
        Hi,

        You will probably get a lot of reply's on this one.

        I learned the basics in about a day and was able to make a counter/forms
        mailer/few other programs in the first 3 days. I have a good set of
        programming theory under my belt to begin with though. BUT I started by
        going to http://www.cgi101.com and learned quite quickly. They sell a book
        but with the first few chapters they give you, you will learn most of the
        juice for the program.

        Once done that go on IRC and sit in #cgi on undernet. (Fastest resource I
        know to get help on any given thing)

        And you have already taken the first step by getting on this mailing list.

        I hope you enjoy your run with perl
        --
        PurrNaK

        ----------

        This messsage was sent using the trial version of the
        1st Class Mail Server software. You can try it for free
        at http://www.1cis.com/download/1cismail.asp

        Is this unsolicited email? Instructions for reporting unsolicited
        email can be found at at http://www.1cis.com/articles/spam.asp

      • Gentil Aquitaine
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
          http://www.tech-host.net/pst/

          That is the link to the perl scripting tool I use. It is about 50 bucks for the registered version, but it is useful.
          C. Gentil Aquitaine

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
            > Hello. I am a Perl newbie. I have heard so many good things about the language, so I decided to seriously learn it. I went to Walden's and bought Perl for Dummies. After reading the book, I decided to take the next step: installing a perl compiler on my WinME Gateway Computer.
            >
            > Ummm, where can I get a compiler? Which one should I download? Is the Perl compiler DOS or Win based?

            Welcome to the list.

            You don't need to "get a compiler", you just install Perl and start
            writing code.

            The Perl For Dummies that I bought about a year ago came with
            Perl on a CD, yours didn't?

            Also, check Chapter Two again, it gives all the details on putting Perl
            on a variety of OS's.

            Bompa
          • b_harnish
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 29, 2001
              Perl is interpreted, not compiled. I use an interpreter called Active Perl or ActiveState Perl, its free, you can search google for it.

              My suggestion for learning, is too look through as many people's programs as possible, and figure out why/how they work.

              - Brian