[PBML] Re: Testing CGI scripts

  • Smith, Eric - WPAFB/YSXOI
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 1999
      You can...

      1. Run the script from the command line. The CGI module (CGI.pm) provides
      for command line debugging.

      2. Install a web server on your PC and test from the browser.

      3. Use a debugger, such as "ActiveState Debugger"
      (http://www.activestate.com), "ptkdb" (http://world.std.com/~aep/ptkdb/ -
      free, nice but requires the Tk module), or "PerlBuilder"
      (http://www.solutionsoft.com - an editor with limited debugging for CGI),

      > - Eric D. Smith - Webmaster
      > B-2 Program Office - (937) 656-5256
      > mailto:eric.smith@...
      > B-2 Web Support - mailto:webmaster@...
      Perl makes easy things easy and hard things possible

    • Dave Hannum
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 1999
        Get yourself a copy of the latest Perl for Win32 from Active States, then get something like Microsoft's Personal Web Server. Both
        are freeware. Set your machine up as a "Personal" web server and away you go. PWS can execute your CGI's. Just be careful and set
        it up right the first time because with your Windows registry, if you hose it, it's very difficult to fix.

        =================================
        "Technology" is stuff that was invented after
        you were born.

        David Hannum
        Web Analyst/Programmer
        Ohio University
        hannum@...
        (740) 597-2524

        I am new to the Internet and I am steadily getting my head around how
        things work having spent a long time in the IT industry using COBOL
        etc.

        I now know that in order to store/process data submitted on a form I
        need a CGI script program to do the work.

        I am about to embark on a project that will require me to write such a
        script. I intend to write this in Perl.

        My question is this....

        In order to test my ideas, do I need to have this program set up on a
        server somewhere (my ISP provider does not provide such facilities -
        Freeserve) or can I store the program on my own PC while I'm developing
        my idea? I would hope that I could get my HTML to point to the code on
        my own PC while I am testing.

        I would be grateful for any advice.

        Ian Fenelon

        Start with up to 150 Points for joining!