[PBML] Testing CGI scripts

  • fenners@newmoore21.freeserve.co.uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 1999
      I am new to the Internet and I am steadily getting my head around how
      things work having spent a long time in the IT industry using COBOL
      etc.

      I now know that in order to store/process data submitted on a form I
      need a CGI script program to do the work.

      I am about to embark on a project that will require me to write such a
      script. I intend to write this in Perl.

      My question is this....

      In order to test my ideas, do I need to have this program set up on a
      server somewhere (my ISP provider does not provide such facilities -
      Freeserve) or can I store the program on my own PC while I'm developing
      my idea? I would hope that I could get my HTML to point to the code on
      my own PC while I am testing.

      I would be grateful for any advice.

      Ian Fenelon
    • crengifo@reacciun.ve
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 19, 1999
        If your PC have installed Windows 95 or Windows 98,
        then you can use perl for win32.

        1. Download Activestate Port (APi519.exe).

        ActiveState Port is available at:
        http://www.ActiveState.com/ActivePerl

        **** Note:
        If your PC have installed Windows 95 then you'll need
        DCOM for Windows 95 for using ActivePerl port.

        dcom95.exe is available at:
        http://www.microsoft.com/com/resources/downloads.asp
        ****

        2. Download OmniHTTPd server (ohttpd101.exe).

        Omnihttpd server is available at:
        http://www.omnicron.ab.ca/httpd/

        3. Install Activesate port and OmniHTTPd server. These
        softwares are installed themselves at

        c:\perl (Activestate Port)
        c:\httpd (OmniHTTPd)

        Also, you can use Gurusary Sarathy port (available at
        http://www.perl.com/cpan-local/ports/win32/standard/x86)
        and the Apache server.

        Gurusary Sarathy port (perl5.00402-bindist04-bc.zip) is
        available at http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/GSAR/

        Apache server is available at
        http://apache.koala.ie/

        I'm using the Activestate Port (APi519.exe) and the
        Omnihttpd server (ohttpd101.exe) on Windows 98. Also,
        I have used those programs on Windows 95 and they ran
        fine.

        3. Remember:
        - Rename your scripts (myscript.cgi to myscript.pl) when
        you run these on the server.

        - Your site address is "http://127.0.0.1" or localhost.

        Ok, It is all. I hope this helps.

        ----
        Send reply to: perl-beginner@egroups.com
        Date sent: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 09:15:19 -0700
        From: fenners@...
        To: perl-beginner@egroups.com
        Subject: [PBML] Testing CGI scripts

        > I am new to the Internet and I am steadily getting my head around how
        > things work having spent a long time in the IT industry using COBOL
        > etc.
        >
        > I now know that in order to store/process data submitted on a form I
        > need a CGI script program to do the work.
        >
        > I am about to embark on a project that will require me to write such a
        > script. I intend to write this in Perl.
        >
        > My question is this....
        >
        > In order to test my ideas, do I need to have this program set up on a
        > server somewhere (my ISP provider does not provide such facilities -
        > Freeserve) or can I store the program on my own PC while I'm developing
        > my idea? I would hope that I could get my HTML to point to the code on
        > my own PC while I am testing.
        >
        > I would be grateful for any advice.
        >
        > Ian Fenelon

        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805