Re: [PBML] Help Reversing Data

  • joach@direct.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4, 2000
      Carlo this does work ..... I just ran it and it's fine. Maybe a bad
      cut and paste the first time...

      Now I understand the /n that's a new line ........ but why the "
      " about the Header.....???
      Could you post us a small note as to how this works....and it works very
      fine indeed.

      Thanks again.....gives me another small utility that is useful

      John

      #!/usr/bin/perl -w
      use strict;

      my $infile = shift;
      my $outfile = shift;
      my $header='"My Header"';
      print "Reversing date sequence\n";

      open (IN,$infile) || die "Could not open $infile $!";
      open (OUT, ">$outfile")|| die "can't open $outfile: $!";
      my @data = (<IN>);

      push @data,"$header\n";

      @data = reverse @data;

      print OUT @data;
      close IN;
      close OUT;

      Carlo Antonio Tan wrote:

      > try replacing the line:
      >
      > push @data,$header;
      >
      > with:
      >
      > push @data,"$header\n";
      >
      > hth,
      > Carlo

      > http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Carlo Antonio Tan
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2000
        John

        A double quoted string translates variables (e.g.,
        $header) and escape sequences (e.g., \n) while single
        quoted strings do not. i.e.,

        $header = '"My Header"';
        print "$header\n"; # outputs "My Header"<newline>
        print '$header\n'; # outputs $header\n

        btw, these should also work:

        print $header . "\n";
        print $header, "\n";