Re: [PBML] easier way to run a perlscript

  • Richard Taylor
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2001
      Hello

      My IDE is homesite, it color codes things for me - it is more of an HTML IDE
      though as far as IDE's are concerned. I was being a bit fancy calling it
      that.

      I'll have to look at the right-click and running with perl5.6.0.exe
      (perl5.6.1.exe in my case) for running it, I only tried perl.exe. I ended
      up setting up a library and leaving dos open so that I could run scripts
      whenever I wanted to.

      As far as compiling it myself goes. I went to cpan and it send if you want
      'the most recent stable build' you should compile it yourself, so I did -- I
      really don't know if it was worth the long wait. The only advantage I can
      see that got out of that was I was able to set a switch to install in a
      specific folder, outside of that a little later in the configuration script
      it asked if I wanted to compile it like activestate does and said yes -- so
      it's probably not much diff't other then I was able to use the most recent
      binaries to compile it myself. Oh yes, and I've had VC++ (Visual Studio
      Enterprise) installed for a couple of years now and I rarely use any of the
      programs -- so, I thought I'd give it a try.

      I'll try all the other suggestions i've received and let the group know if I
      have any other questions. I went throught about 50% of the first chapter of
      learning Perl. So far I really like what I see (and what I'm learning).

      Thanks for all the advice everyone - I'm not going to respond to everyone.

      Regards,

      Richard