Re: [PBML] Re: Memory Management

  • Tom Barron
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1 6:34 AM
      sloan.scott@... wrote:
      > How about tracking how much memory is in use? When it reaches a
      > certain limit then flag on it. Is that possible?

      What do you mean by "flag on it"? I'm not sure how you'd go about
      tracking how much memory is in use.

      Tom
    • Smith, Sheldon
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6 12:58 PM
        Someone else may know better, but as far as I know, memory management is one
        of those things Perl tries *real hard* to avoid. Even if you can track
        memory usage, you still need to process the data file in chunks.
        You are better off getting your program to read a record, process it, read
        another, process it, ad nauseum. There is *always* a file that is "too big"
        to read in its entirety.
        If your logical record does not match a physical record (line boundary), you
        may need to write a subroutine that returns the "next logical record".