question

  • Luzviminda Rivetz
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 8, 2001
      ** Reply Requested When Convenient **

      I just downloaded a Perl Builder 2.0 can anyone help how to get it started.

      I do not have my own page. My personal page is with Geocities and do not support CGI scripts or Perl, according to my other email list that I am in. I would like to learn how to get this perl going, so when I'm ready for it or have my own site everything would be easy.

      Does anyone know a free website that do support this stuff, so I can practice it there.

      Thanks a bunch.
    • gordon stewart
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 8, 2001
        --- Luzviminda Rivetz <lrivetz@...>
        wrote:

        I just downloaded a Perl Builder 2.0 can anyone help
        how to get it started.<BR>
        <

        Sorry - I dont know that one...

        Does anyone know a free website that do support this
        stuff, so I can practice it there.
        <

        You can create a site at

        http://www.netfirms.com
        or
        http://www.hypermart.net (need credit-card - even for
        free site)..

        or http://freeservers.prohosting.com (havnt used that,
        but i just remember the URL from different emails this
        week.)

        If youre using Windows, My favourite (for testing
        purposes only) - is to d/load "Savant" - its a
        windows-based server - easy to set up & uses perl.

        http://savant.sourceforge.net

        Although Perl DOES come with it, its not going well..

        so you :-

        :- Rename the 'perl5' subdirectory to something else..
        (the c:\savant\perl5 directory is created when you
        install it)

        :- Create a "new" perl5 directory (so its got nothing
        in it)

        Download Activeperl - from http://www.activestate.com
        (look on the right hand side of the activestate.com
        screen - to find the d/load for Activeperl)

        it works great on savant.

        but of course - everyone has different preferences...

        G.

        =====
        G.
        New Zealand chat & Discussion group email
        new_zealand-help@yahoogroups.com for details.
      • Etienne Marcotte
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 8, 2001
          For testing, apache, windows version (NT/2000) works great..
          You just use http://localhost/cgi-bin/scriptname.pl and it works as if
          you were online.

          But it's for testing only since it's not online.

          I think tripod.com also have cgi-bin

          Etienne

          gordon stewart wrote:

          > --- Luzviminda Rivetz <lrivetz@...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > I just downloaded a Perl Builder 2.0 can anyone help
          > how to get it started.<BR>
          > <
          >
          > Sorry - I dont know that one...
          >

          > Does anyone know a free website that do support this
          > stuff, so I can practice it there.
          > <
          >
          > You can create a site at
          >
          > http://www.netfirms.com
          > or
          > http://www.hypermart.net (need credit-card - even for
          > free site)..
          >
          > or http://freeservers.prohosting.com (havnt used that,
          > but i just remember the URL from different emails this
          > week.)
          >
          > If youre using Windows, My favourite (for testing
          > purposes only) - is to d/load "Savant" - its a
          > windows-based server - easy to set up & uses perl.
          >
          > http://savant.sourceforge.net
          >
          > Although Perl DOES come with it, its not going well..
          >
          > so you :-
          >
          > :- Rename the 'perl5' subdirectory to something else..
          > (the c:\savant\perl5 directory is created when you
          > install it)
          >
          > :- Create a "new" perl5 directory (so its got nothing
          > in it)
          >
          > Download Activeperl - from http://www.activestate.com
          > (look on the right hand side of the activestate.com
          > screen - to find the d/load for Activeperl)
          >
          > it works great on savant.
          >
          > but of course - everyone has different preferences...
          >
          > G.
          >
          > =====
          > G.
          > New Zealand chat & Discussion group email
          > new_zealand-help@yahoogroups.com for details.

        • Adrian Stovall
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 8, 2001
            I run win2kpro on my desktop...I have Personal Web server installed, and
            Activestate Perl runs on it just fine :)

            Unsubscribing info is here:

          • Etienne Marcotte
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 8, 2001
              You cannot run mod_perl under personnal web server..? I don't use it
              yet, but plan on doing so someday (mod_perl that is, not personnal web
              server):P

              Etienne

              Adrian Stovall wrote:

              > I run win2kpro on my desktop...I have Personal Web server installed, and
              > Activestate Perl runs on it just fine :)

            • neelam
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                hi everybody
                i hav one question to ask
                i have read that we can import modules in perl like
                math::BigInt;
                where math module will transfer bigint to current
                program is it possible to import our own modules ?
                what we need to do for that
                thanks in advance
                neelam

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                  Since most of the messages on this mailing list are either questions, or
                  answers to questions, a more descriptive subject would be more appropriate.

                  3:58am, neelam wrote:

                  > hi everybody
                  > i hav one question to ask
                  > i have read that we can import modules in perl like
                  > math::BigInt;
                  > where math module will transfer bigint to current
                  > program is it possible to import our own modules ?

                  Yes.

                  > what we need to do for that

                  Reading some documentation would be a good start.
                • Offer Kaye
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 4, 2005
                    On Apr 4, 2005 3:09 PM, Paul Archer wrote:

                    > Reading some documentation would be a good start.

                    Specifically: perlmod, perlmodlib, perlmodstyle.
                    The CPAN module "Module::Starter" can also help you get started.

                    --
                    Offer Kaye
                  • Bob Brown
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 14 11:05 AM
                      Hello,

                      I have a Perl script below where I am trying to load
                      log lines into an array (lines 9-15) so that I can
                      scan them for particular error messages. I am running
                      on a IBM AIX UNIX box. When I debug this script,
                      nothing is getting loaded into variable @lnes.

                      Can an array hold variable length space-delimited
                      lines like this or just single words?

                      1 #!/usr/bin/perl
                      2 print "Which log do you want a report on: ";
                      3 chomp($whichlog=<STDIN>);
                      4 open(FILE,"/var/log/" . $whichlog) || die "Could not
                      open $whichlog";
                      5 $err=0;
                      6 $lct=0;
                      7 my @lnes=();
                      8 print "Loading lines...\n";
                      9 while($line=<FILE>){
                      10 if ($line =~ /ERROR/ && $line =~ /failed/ &&
                      $line !~ /Upload/ && $line !~ /Copy/ && $line !~
                      /TranslateIn/ && $line !~ /Archive/){
                      11 $lct++;
                      12 push(@lnes,$line);
                      13 print "$lnes[$lct]\n";
                      14 }
                      15 }
                      16 for ($j=$#lnes;$j=0;$j--){
                      17 @fields=split(" ",$lnes[$j]);
                      18 $runid = $fields[5];
                      19 $path = $fields[13];
                      20 @region=split("/",$path);
                      21 $reg=$region[2];
                      22 $tp=$region[4];
                      23 $err++;
                      24 print "$err. $lines[$j]\n";
                      25
                      open(TRFILE,"/CFApps/$reg/log/TRACE/TR$runid.DAT") ||
                      warn "Cannot 26open
                      /CFApps/$reg/log/TRACE/TR$runid.DAT";

                      open(BADFILE,"/CFApps/$reg/PostOffice/ALL/BAD/bad$runid.edi")
                      || warn "Cannot open
                      /CFApps/$reg/ALL/BAD/bad$runid.edi";
                      27 28print
                      "****************************************\n";
                      29 print "* Runid = $runid\n";
                      30 print "* Trace file name = TR$runid.DAT\n";
                      31 print "* Bad file name = bad$runid.edi\n";
                      32 print "* Region = $reg\n";
                      33 print "* Trading Partner = $tp\n";
                      34 35print
                      "****************************************\n";
                      36 $ct=0;
                      37 my $first=1;
                      38 my @tracerec=();
                      39 while ($line2=<TRFILE>){
                      40 chomp($line2);
                      41 if ($line2 =~ /EDI Line:/){
                      42 $ct++;
                      43 if ($ct > 50){ last;}
                      44 push(@tracerec,$line2);
                      45 }
                      46 }
                      47 for ($i=0;$i<=$#tracerec;$i++){
                      48 @dum=split(" ",$tracerec[$i]);
                      49 print $tracerec[$i];
                      50 if ($dum[$i] =~ "Line:"){
                      51 $badline=$dum[$i+1];
                      52 last;
                      53 }
                      54 if ($first == 1){
                      55 $line3=<BADFILE>;
                      56 $first=0;
                      57 $delim=substr($line3,105,1);
                      58 print "Segment delimiter is $delim\n";
                      59 @bob=split($delim,$line3);
                      60 print "Total lines in badfile is
                      $#bob\n";
                      61 }
                      62 print " $badline==>
                      $bob[$badline-1]\n";
                      }
                      63 close(BADFILE);
                      64 close(TRFILE);

                      Bob Brown

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Mr. Shawn H. Corey
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 14 11:28 AM
                        On Wed, 2006-14-06 at 11:05 -0700, Bob Brown wrote:
                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > I have a Perl script below where I am trying to load
                        > log lines into an array (lines 9-15) so that I can
                        > scan them for particular error messages. I am running
                        > on a IBM AIX UNIX box. When I debug this script,
                        > nothing is getting loaded into variable @lnes.
                        >
                        > Can an array hold variable length space-delimited
                        > lines like this or just single words?

                        An array is an array of scalars. It can hold an ordered list of the same
                        things a scalar can, including strings of bytes (not just characters).

                        > 1 #!/usr/bin/perl
                        > 2 print "Which log do you want a report on: ";
                        > 3 chomp($whichlog=<STDIN>);
                        > 4 open(FILE,"/var/log/" . $whichlog) || die "Could not
                        > open $whichlog";
                        > 5 $err=0;
                        > 6 $lct=0;
                        > 7 my @lnes=();
                        > 8 print "Loading lines...\n";
                        > 9 while($line=<FILE>){
                        > 10 if ($line =~ /ERROR/ && $line =~ /failed/ &&
                        > $line !~ /Upload/ && $line !~ /Copy/ && $line !~
                        > /TranslateIn/ && $line !~ /Archive/){

                        This is rather complex. Are you sure the file has a line that will pass
                        this test? Try starting with part of this test and add elements until it
                        is complete:
                        if ($line =~ /ERROR/) {
                        if ($line =~ /ERROR/ && $line =~ /failed/ ){

                        > 11 $lct++;
                        > 12 push(@lnes,$line);
                        > 13 print "$lnes[$lct]\n";

                        Prints double-spaced. A better way would be:
                        print $line;

                        --
                        __END__

                        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                        --- Shawn

                        "For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
                        Aristotle

                        * A searchable perldoc is at http://perldoc.perl.org/
                      • Chad Perrin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 14 11:31 AM
                          On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 11:05:43AM -0700, Bob Brown wrote:

                          > I have a Perl script below where I am trying to load
                          > log lines into an array (lines 9-15) so that I can
                          > scan them for particular error messages. I am running
                          > on a IBM AIX UNIX box. When I debug this script,
                          > nothing is getting loaded into variable @lnes.
                          >
                          > Can an array hold variable length space-delimited
                          > lines like this or just single words?

                          Yes, an array can hold variable length space-delimited lines. Of
                          course, I'm not sure what you mean by that, necessarily, but none of
                          those words in that sentence preclude using an array.

                          > 1 #!/usr/bin/perl

                          Add these two lines after the shebang line:
                          use strict;
                          use warnings;

                          They're indispensable debugging tools, and should be used for pretty
                          much every script you write. Of course, you'll have to declare your
                          variables (preferably with "my", potentially with "our") when using the
                          strict pragma. You've already done this with @lnes, so I don't know why
                          you don't do it with anything else.

                          > 2 print "Which log do you want a report on: ";
                          > 3 chomp($whichlog=<STDIN>);
                          > 4 open(FILE,"/var/log/" . $whichlog) || die "Could not
                          > open $whichlog";
                          > 5 $err=0;
                          > 6 $lct=0;
                          > 7 my @lnes=();
                          > 8 print "Loading lines...\n";
                          > 9 while($line=<FILE>){
                          > 10 if ($line =~ /ERROR/ && $line =~ /failed/ &&
                          > $line !~ /Upload/ && $line !~ /Copy/ && $line !~
                          > /TranslateIn/ && $line !~ /Archive/){

                          If nothing is getting loaded into @lnes, chances are good that your
                          conditional statement is never returning a true result. Perhaps you
                          could provide some test data. First, though, use the strict and
                          warnings pragmas and clean up the code a little bit.

                          note: I haven't bothered to go through the rest of the script yet. The
                          above two items need to be addressed. It would also be easier to work
                          with this without the line numbers, but I can be flexible if I have to.

                        • Prasanna Goupal
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 15 5:03 AM
                            Hi,

                            How can i check charset / Encoding of any pdf file?
                            If someone know about it then please let me know.

                            Thanks in advanced.

                            Regards,
                            Prasanna A. Goupal

                          • Latha M R
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 22, 2007
                              Dear sir/ madam,
                              Thank you for Inviting me to this group.
                              I have one doubt in my project.Can u answer for the following
                              question.
                              1. How can I call C functions or C libraries by using Perl script.
                              thanks & regards ,
                              latha

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 23, 2007

                                Latha> 1. How can I call C functions or C libraries by using Perl script.

                                The simplest way is to install Inline::C from the CPAN, and follow
                                the instructions there.

                              • Robert Brown
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 22, 2007
                                  1. How does one do a form feed (ASCII Character 12) using printf or sprintf? My documentation in Perl by Example doesn't show this. I know about the format command but would rather use printf or sprintf.

                                  Bob

                                • Roellig Eric-CCEL25
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Feb 22, 2007
                                    google search string: ascii "form feed" perl
                                    https://www.wikicontent.com/wiki/index.php/Perl_&_LWP:ASCII_Table

                                    google search string: ascii "form feed" perl printf
                                    http://www-gatago.com/comp/lang/perl/misc/34834558.html
                                    http://www.ngbdigital.com/perl_escape.html

                                    printf "\fReport Heading - Page %d\n", $page_number;

                                    Eric

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Feb 22, 2007

                                      Robert> 1. How does one do a form feed (ASCII Character 12) using printf or
                                      Robert> sprintf? My documentation in Perl by Example doesn't show this. I know
                                      Robert> about the format command but would rather use printf or sprintf.

                                      print chr(12); # will certainly do it
                                      print "\f"; # will as well