[PBML] Re: beginning perl

  • sheldon.smith@compaq.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 1999
      <dbaa10208a5fd211b57b0008c7281246324de-@nj7460exch006u> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner/?start=44
      > Hi,
      > I am looking for a perl tutorial that caters to beginners.

      In another mailing list, I wrote a short article about beginning
      programming with C/C++ and/or Perl. Here's an excerpt.

      "Perl is newer than the C family, so there aren't quite as many books.
      One that I can recommend is "Learning Perl", written by Randal
      Schwartz[2].
      General information about Perl is available at www.perl.com, and at
      CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) http://www.cpan.org/ .
      Like the simtel.net site, CPAN is mirrored all over the globe. Find the
      site nearest you.

      To date I've located a tutorial at http://consult.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin
      / . If you want it and can't find it anywhere else, let me know. I'll
      mail you a copy (if I haven't misplaced it).

      "The script we'll be writing, called mailform, will be useful to anyone
      who has wanted to create some interactive pages on the World Wide Web.
      Web servers usually support running auxilary programs to facilitate
      interactive content. There is a standard called CGI (Common Gateway
      Interface) which defines a minimum set of environment variables that
      the program can use to determine its response.
      "The program we write will take the results of an HTML form and mail
      the values to a specified person. Writing the HTML for this form is
      beyond the scope of this course, but a sample form will be provided."

      ---------------
      [2]Published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., "Learning Perl" has a
      sketch of a llama on the front. The "official" language reference of
      Perl, "Programming Perl", written by Larry Wall (and others, including
      Randal Schwartz), is also published by O'Reilly. It has a sketch of a
      camel on the front. I have yet to find a bad (or even mediocre)
      O'Reilly book. And I've bought enough of them.
      Out in the Usenet newgroups, comp.lang.perl.misc is the main source
      for help with Perl. Get the FAQ before you start posting questions.
      When you see references to the "camel" and "llama" books, the above are
      what are being referenced.

      <end>

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner