netbios name

  • toni_t_banire@sbphrd.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2001
      Hello

      I am trying to generate a list of servers with just their netbios
      names.

      I am dumping the server names into a file from a log file but some of
      them are lsted with their DNS names.

      What I need to do is search for servers listed with their DNS names
      and then delete the all characters after the first "." .

      For exmaple
      croning.uk.gov.com

      I would like to have all chars after the word croning to be deleted.

      I tried this statement

      open(INFILE, "$client_folder\\server.log") || die ("Cannot open file
      $client_folder\\server.log");
      open(TOT_CL, ">$client_folder\\server.log") || die ("Cannot open file
      $client_folder\\server.log");

      @client_file=<INFILE>;

      $count = 0;
      while ($client_file[$count] ne "") {
      $client_file[$count]=~ s/[.+]com//gi;
      $count++;
      }
      print TOT_CL @client_all;

      unfortunately the above search and delete command only deletes
      the .com portion of the DNS name instead of .uk.gov.com .

      Can someone help me with the coding to delete all characters after
      the first "." in the DNS name

      TIA

      Toni
    • Trap 13
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2001
        On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:23:57AM -0000, toni_t_banire@... wrote:
        > Hello
        >
        > I am trying to generate a list of servers with just their netbios
        > names.
        >
        > I am dumping the server names into a file from a log file but some of
        > them are lsted with their DNS names.
        >
        > What I need to do is search for servers listed with their DNS names
        > and then delete the all characters after the first "." .
        >
        > For exmaple
        > croning.uk.gov.com
        >

        > I would like to have all chars after the word croning to be deleted.
        >
        > I tried this statement
        >
        > open(INFILE, "$client_folder\\server.log") || die ("Cannot open file
        > $client_folder\\server.log");
        > open(TOT_CL, ">$client_folder\\server.log") || die ("Cannot open file
        > $client_folder\\server.log");
        >
        > @client_file=<INFILE>;
        >
        > $count = 0;
        > while ($client_file[$count] ne "") {