[PBML] Using a list in HTML

  • dalekh@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 1999
      I would like to use a list of values created from parsing a quoted list
      and display it in a browser using HTML. I also want the user to be able
      select a item in the list and perform an action against it using a button.
      It appears <SELECT> is the best HTML tag to use but I don't know how to
      input the list to the tag. Here is an example that I found for the tag:
      <SELECT MULTIPLE NAME="network">
      <OPTION SELECTED VALUE="ethernet"> Ethernet
      <OPTION VALUE="token16"> Token Ring - 16MB
      <OPTION VALUE="token4"> Token Ring - 4MB
      <OPTION VALUE="localtalk"> LocalTalk
      <OPTION VALUE="other"> Other...
      </SELECT>

      Any suggestions?
      thanks

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner
    • Jeff Boes
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 1999
        use CGI;

        print header,
        start_html,
        start_form,
        scrolling_list(-name=>'network',
        -multiple=>'true',
        -values=>['ethernet','token16','token4'],
        -labels=>{'ethernet'=>'Ethernet',
        'token16'=>'Token Ring - 16MB',
        'token4'=>'Token Ring - 4MB'}),
        end_form,
        end_html;

        ----
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~|The tusks that clashed in mighty brawls of mastodons are
        |billiard balls./The sword of Charlemagne the Just is
        Jeffery Boes |ferric oxide, known as rust./The grizzly bear whose potent
        jboes@...|hug was feared by all, is now a rug./Great Caesar's bust
        |is on the shelf, and I don't feel so well myself.
        |"On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness", A.Guiterman (1871-1943)

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 12, 1999
          what about an array like -

          @array

          or

          $list

          Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner/?start=61

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 12, 1999
            You can substitute an array reference for the [...] below, just put in
            '\@array'. Dunno what you mean by $list, did you mean to type %list? If so,
            you can use a list reference with \%list.

            FREE email Newsletters delivered right to your in-box.
            CNET, USAToday, RollingStone, and moreĀ…
            Click Here Now! http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/314

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner

            ----
            WARNING: This message contains Thought and Thought By-Products.
            _________
            Jeff Boes <>< jboes@...
            Mur Consulting http://www.qtm.net/~jboes/

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner
          • dave@mag-sol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 20, 1999
              <7ju452$lfa-@egroups.com> wrote:
              Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner/?start=62

              > what about an array like -
              >
              > @array
              >
              > or
              >
              > $list

              Something like this perhaps?

              use CGI;

              my %list = ('ethernet'=>'Ethernet',
              'token16'=>'Token Ring - 16MB',
              'token4'=>'Token Ring - 4MB');

              print header,
              start_html,
              start_form,
              scrolling_list(-name=>'network',
              -multiple=>'true',
              -values=>[keys @list],
              -labels=>\%list),
              end_form,
              end_html;

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner
            • Tomas Lauridsen
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 20, 1999
                On 20-Jun-99 dave@... wrote:

                If i paste this program to a file and run it, then I just get:

                No comma allowed after filehandle at ./form.pl line 9.

                why and what to do?

                > use CGI;
                >
                > my %list = ('ethernet'=>'Ethernet',
                > 'token16'=>'Token Ring - 16MB',
                > 'token4'=>'Token Ring - 4MB');
                >
                > print header,
                > start_html,
                > start_form,
                > scrolling_list(-name=>'network',
                > -multiple=>'true',
                > -values=>[keys @list],
                > -labels=>\%list),
                > end_form,
                > end_html;

                ----------------------------------
                E-Mail: Tomas Lauridsen <trol@...>

                Love thy neighbor, tune thy piano.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 15, 1999
                  <xfmail.990620200020.tro-@...> wrote:
                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner/?start=65

                  > On 20-Jun-99 dave@... wrote:
                  >
                  > If i paste this program to a file and run it, then I just get:
                  >
                  > No comma allowed after filehandle at ./form.pl line 9.
                  >
                  > why and what to do?

                  Sorry about that. The corrected code is below...