[PBML] Re: beginning perl

  • madstone@bardo.clearlight.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 1999
      Jeffery wrote a few months ago:

      Here's a resource that may help some of you:

      CGI Programming 101 (online
      course) http://www.cgi101.com/class/

      --
      Jeffery Boes < jboe-@... >

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/perl-beginner
    • sheldon.smith@compaq.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 8, 1999
        <dbaa10208a5fd211b57b0008c7281246324de-@nj7460exch006u> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner/?start=44
        > Hi,
        > I am looking for a perl tutorial that caters to beginners.

        In another mailing list, I wrote a short article about beginning
        programming with C/C++ and/or Perl. Here's an excerpt.

        "Perl is newer than the C family, so there aren't quite as many books.
        One that I can recommend is "Learning Perl", written by Randal
        Schwartz[2].
        General information about Perl is available at www.perl.com, and at
        CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) http://www.cpan.org/ .
        Like the simtel.net site, CPAN is mirrored all over the globe. Find the
        site nearest you.

        To date I've located a tutorial at http://consult.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin
        / . If you want it and can't find it anywhere else, let me know. I'll
        mail you a copy (if I haven't misplaced it).

        "The script we'll be writing, called mailform, will be useful to anyone
        who has wanted to create some interactive pages on the World Wide Web.
        Web servers usually support running auxilary programs to facilitate
        interactive content. There is a standard called CGI (Common Gateway
        Interface) which defines a minimum set of environment variables that
        the program can use to determine its response.
        "The program we write will take the results of an HTML form and mail
        the values to a specified person. Writing the HTML for this form is
        beyond the scope of this course, but a sample form will be provided."

        ---------------
        [2]Published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., "Learning Perl" has a
        sketch of a llama on the front. The "official" language reference of
        Perl, "Programming Perl", written by Larry Wall (and others, including
        Randal Schwartz), is also published by O'Reilly. It has a sketch of a
        camel on the front. I have yet to find a bad (or even mediocre)
        O'Reilly book. And I've bought enough of them.
        Out in the Usenet newgroups, comp.lang.perl.misc is the main source
        for help with Perl. Get the FAQ before you start posting questions.
        When you see references to the "camel" and "llama" books, the above are
        what are being referenced.

        <end>

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner