unsubscribe

  • FOLK Sydney
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 3, 2001
      unsubscribe

      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 4, 2001
        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "FOLK Sydney" <folksydney@h...> wrote:
        > unsubscribe

        Unsubscribe yourself. I'm not going to!
      • Daniel Gardner
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 4, 2001

          Tuesday, September 04, 2001, 6:27:19 AM, you wrote:

          FS> unsubscribe

          Best regards,
          Daniel mailto:perl@...
        • Leo Leavitt
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 4, 2001
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 4, 2001

            • Gary Traffanstedt
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 27, 2001
                How do I unsubscribe from this list?
              • Hector Garcia
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 27, 2001

                  unsubscribe
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 28, 2001
                    There have been quite a few members trying to unsubscribe themselves
                    over the last couple of days (why is this? is it something we said?)

                    Anyway, if those people would care to scroll down to the bottom of
                    any message they get from this list, they should clearly find
                    instructions on how to unsubscribe.

                    Please do so immediately. I do not wish to receive any more messages
                    from those who are too stupid to be on this list. Ignorance I can
                    forgive, but not stupidity.

                    Greg Smith
                    www.bmw-club.org.uk
                    www.uksites4all.co.uk
                  • Fei-Chih Kuo
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 2, 2001
                      unsubscribe

                      thks
                      From: "Marcus Gus Nessel" <frosty@...>
                      2. Re: Parsing, saving a file
                      From: "Paulob" <paulaol@...>
                      3. Password script.
                      From: "Bob.E" <bob@...>
                      4. Re: Perl form installation
                      From: Ferry I <ferry@...>
                      5. Re: help required on matt's guestbook.
                      From: Ferry I <ferry@...>
                      6. Re: :) modules modules modules
                      From: Ferry I <ferry@...>
                      7. RE: Password script.
                      From: "Franki" <frankieh@...>
                      8. Re: PS: Regex searching ???
                      From: "Jenda Krynicky" <Jenda@...>
                      9. Re: Password script.
                      From: "Bob.E" <bob@...>
                      10. Perl, MySQL and Dates
                      From: "Frank J. Schmuck" <fschmuck@...>
                      11. RE: Password script.
                      From: "Franki" <frankieh@...>
                      12. 樗緷 昑糨 筈?ш蜪х?шк捚ぽ翴
                      From: al_muhands@...
                      13. Re: Perl, MySQL and Dates
                      From: "Charles K. Clarkson" <cclarkson@...>
                      14. RE: Which Data Structure to Use?
                      From: Mark Sutfin <msutfin@...>
                      15. more problems with RegEx
                      From: Michael <mhauptma73@...>
                      16. Re: counting weekdays
                      From: "Sean" <perlmongrel@...>
                      17. Re: counting weekdays
                      From: Bompa <bompa@...>
                      18. Re: more problems with RegEx
                      From: Greg Webster <greg@...>
                      19. Re: counting weekdays
                      From: tom@...
                      20. Re: counting weekdays
                      From: tom@...
                      21. Re: counting weekdays
                      From: Bompa <bompa@...>
                      22. new prog
                      From: "yahulliguns@..." <yahulliguns@...>
                      23. RE: new prog
                      From: David Pompeo <dpompeo@...>
                      24. Re: PS: Regex searching ???
                      From: "Gordon Stewart" <Gordon.Stewart@...>
                      25. FIXED ?? Re: PS: Regex searching ???
                      From: "Gordon Stewart" <Gordon.Stewart@...>

                      Message: 1
                      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 19:05:16 +1000
                      From: "Marcus Gus Nessel" <frosty@...>

                      UNSUBSCRIBE

                      [This message contained attachments]

                      Message: 2
                      Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:53:01 -0400
                      From: "Paulob" <paulaol@...>
                      Subject: Re: Parsing, saving a file

                      Charles wrote:

                      > 'while' allows you to step through the file
                      > without loading it into memory. This is handy for
                      > large files. 'for' operates on arrays and lists.

                      Something worth remembering. I tried Radu's script on a 111k file,
                      and it took perhaps 1.5 secs, which is great, but as I add more
                      functions that would slow down.

                      > Others have used perl for Dummies and report it
                      > to be less than useful. I haven't perused it, but I
                      > believe it teaches poor habits. Stick to the Orielly
                      > animal books (Camel, etc.). One of our contributors
                      > (Andrew Johnson) wrote a book for people who don't
                      > know c (like me).

                      Thanks. I spend so much time puzzling my way through this stuff -
                      the right textbook has got to be crucial.

                      Geoff wrote:

                      > I'm not sure about this (being pretty new myself), but since my $file name
                      is in single quotes, wouldn't you *not* escape the backslashes? Just
                      because you're not interpolating. I'm not 100% sure, but thought I'd throw
                      the question out anyway.

                      I believe you are right (based on everyone else's scripts ;)
                      Thanks.

                      Radu wrote:

                      > Here's the way I would do that:
                      >
                      > #!/usr/bin/perl
                      >
                      > my $input='c:\windows\desktop\email.msg';
                      > my $output='c:\windows\desktop\altered mail.msg';
                      >
                      > open(IN, "<$input") or die("Can't open $input: $!.");
                      > open(OUT, ">$output") or die("Can't open $output: $!.");
                      >
                      > # The following will print the current line from the $input
                      > # file to the $output file, if the line does not contain
                      > # only a number of spaces (\s) or tabs (\t) or nothing.
                      >
                      > for(<IN>) { print OUT if(!/^[\s\t]*$/) }
                      >
                      > close(IN); close(OUT);

                      This worked perfectly. Thanks...

                      > But, if you would like to write the altered data in the same file, I
                      think
                      > the following should work better:
                      >
                      > #!/usr/bin/perl
                      >
                      > my $file='c:\windows\desktop\email.msg';
                      > my @file contents;
                      >
                      > open(F, "<$file"); @file contents=<F>; close(F);
                      > open(F, ">$file");
                      >
                      > for(@file contents) { print F if(!/^[\s\t]*$/) }
                      >
                      > close(F);

                      Here I had to close '@file contents ' into one word. Then it
                      worked perfectly. Thanks much!...

                      > This would be quite fast if the file isn't too big. But if you have a
                      file
                      > that exceeds 3 or 4 MB in size, it could get quite slow, as it uses the
                      RAM
                      > to store the file temporarely.

                      The immediate purpose here is to clean up certain incoming email
                      before it reaches my mail client. I tested this on a 111k file,
                      and it was very speedy, but what Charles wrote about 'while' not
                      using RAM sounds interesting...

                      > # But that doesn't work, beginning with the 'open $fh'
                      >
                      > I believe you should have done something like:
                      >
                      > open($fh, "<$file name") or die("[...]");
                      >
                      > while(<$fh>) {
                      > # [...]
                      > }

                      I'll hold onto this...

                      > It is the weak who are cruel, only the stong can be truly gentle.

                      Indeed. This is well worth holding onto also :)

                      Thanks much to all,
                      Paul :)

                      Message: 3
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 10:12:39 -0000
                      From: "Bob.E" <bob@...>
                      Subject: Password script.

                      Hi all.

                      I am trying to get a simple password perl script to work.
                      The main script 'pass.pl' is called from a 'form' in an html program.
                      The first 5 lines of the script are:

                      #!/usr/bin/perl
                      require ("cgi-lib.pl");
                      &ReadParse(*form);
                      $user = $form{'user'};
                      $pass = $form{'pass'};

                      The required library file 'cgi-lib.pl' is located in my cgi-bin
                      directory, together with the main script that requires it.
                      When I run the prog, I get:

                      CGI Error
                      The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete
                      set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

                      Can't locate cgi-lib.pl in @INC (@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
                      C:/Perl/site/lib .) at e:\domains\apneoa.co.uk\user\htdocs\cgi-
                      bin\pass.pl line 2.

                      The site is a Serv-U FTP-Server v2.5a hosted on Windows 2000 server
                      with full support for Perl, CGI, ASP, ISAPI and IHTML scripting.

                      I have these scripts working fine on a Unix(standard) site, but not
                      on this Serv-U site. The systems admin will not give any help on this
                      problem, and I've paid for the site for 2 yrs.

                      Why can't it find the required lib.
                      Can anyone help please, Bob.E.

                      Message: 4
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 16:37:38 +0700
                      From: Ferry I <ferry@...>
                      Subject: Re: Perl form installation

                      At 17:40 01/10/01 +0000, pathillcorp@... wrote:
                      >a. I set permissions on my FTP program for the cgi-bin directory but
                      >the permissions do not seem to hold all the time. Sometimes when I
                      >return to the cgi-bin directory - the permissions need to be set
                      >again. (also set permission for all related files and programs)
                      Consult your hosting company.... They may only allow you to place your
                      scripts on a fixed directory (any other cgi-bin directories you create will
                      be chmod to 664, thus not allowing them to be executed)

                      Best Regards,
                      Ferry I

                      Message: 5
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 16:22:58 +0700
                      From: Ferry I <ferry@...>
                      Subject: Re: help required on matt's guestbook.

                      At 14:17 02/10/01 +0800, eventualdeath wrote:
                      >Hi,
                      >
                      >On Matt's guestbook, I want to modify the output in such a way that it has
                      >the ability to sent to either www.myurl.com/primary.shtml/ or
                      >www.myurl.com/secondary.shtml/ or
                      >www.myurl.com/university.shtml/
                      >depending on which values of the form field being selected.

                      Hope this will do some help ....

                      if ($drop_down_value==1) {
                      $primary = "/usr/home/web/h/hereonly/primary.shtml";
                      } elsif ($drop_down_value==2)
                      $primary = "/usr/home/web/h/hereonly/secondary.shtml";
                      } else {
                      $primary = "/usr/home/web/h/hereonly/university.shtml";
                      }

                      Assuming the drop down menu name is 'drop_down', you can either use the
                      following to parse the value of $drop_down_value
                      * On Matt Script, may be this will work (I can't tell as I don't have the
                      script :)
                      $drop_down_value = $Config{'drop_down'};
                      * Using CGI.pm
                      use CGI; $q = new CGI;
                      $drop_down_value = $q->param('drop_down');

                      Best Regards,
                      Ferry I

                      Message: 6
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 16:45:32 +0700
                      From: Ferry I <ferry@...>
                      Subject: Re: :) modules modules modules

                      At 06:49 01/10/01 -0700, Merlijn uyttersprot wrote:
                      >Can't call method "execute" on an undefined value at
                      >pln_show_data.pm (on the line of the execute)

                      Here is a possibility (though I may not be 100% right)

                      Your script use pln_show_data;
                      The use statement require compiling pln_show-data.pm when called, which, at
                      the time it was called, $main::dt is thus not initialized at all.

                      The following might help :
                      * May be you can move the use pln_show_data; a few lines lower after the
                      line where you initialize $main::dt

                      #!/opt/local/perl/bin/perl
                      use strict;
                      use DBI;
                      use CGI;
                      my $stmt="Select * from dual";
                      $db->{RaiseError} = 0;
                      $dt = $db->prepare($stmt) || die
                      "$stmt\n$DBI::errstr\n";
                      use pln_show_data;

                      * May be you can also try using "require" instead of "use"

                      Once again, I may not 100% correct, but I hope it will do any help :)

                      Best Regards,
                      Ferry I

                      Message: 7
                      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:27:13 +0800
                      From: "Franki" <frankieh@...>
                      Subject: RE: Password script.

                      have you tried ./cgi-lib.pl ????

                      I have several scripts that use cgi-lib.pl and thats how I am doing it..

                      Here is an example of a scirpt that looks one directory up an into another
                      directory containing cgi-lib.pl

                      require "./../library/cgi-lib.pl";

                      rgds

                      Frank

                      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:56:14 +0200
                      From: "Jenda Krynicky" <Jenda@...>
                      Subject: Re: PS: Regex searching ???

                      From: "Gordon Stewart" <Gordon.Stewart@...>
                      > If i put s*ta in the search field, i want to find an 's' any number of
                      > characters and then a 'ta'.
                      >
                      > But it only brinf=gs up all those wityh 'ta'.
                      >
                      > If i put s+*ta (one or more 'S's - then any number of characters &
                      > TA, it produces an error..

                      It should be
                      s+ta

                      Jenda

                      =========== Jenda@... == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==========
                      It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain.
                      I can't find it.
                      --- me

                      Message: 9
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 12:19:10 -0000
                      From: "Bob.E" <bob@...>

                      Hi Frank

                      The 'cgi-lib.pl' script is in the same directory as the 'pass.pl'
                      i.e. they are both in the cgi-bin. Permissions cannot be set on this
                      site. The cgi-bin has preset permissions, so all cgi scripts must go
                      in there. I have also tried using the full path name without success.

                      Anymore ideas, Bob.E.

                      --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Franki" <frankieh@v...> wrote:
                      > have you tried ./cgi-lib.pl ????
                      >
                      > I have several scripts that use cgi-lib.pl and thats how I am doing
                      it..

                      > Here is an example of a scirpt that looks one directory up an into
                      another
                      > directory containing cgi-lib.pl
                      >
                      > require "./../library/cgi-lib.pl";
                      >
                      > rgds
                      > Frank

                      Message: 10
                      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:35:45 -0400
                      From: "Frank J. Schmuck" <fschmuck@...>
                      Subject: Perl, MySQL and Dates

                      I'm manipulating a text file via Perl to prepare it to be written into a
                      MySQL database. The problem is catching dates and converting them into the
                      MySQL format of YYYY-MM-DD.

                      The dates will be in a variety of formats:
                      MM/DD/YYYY
                      M/DD/YYYY
                      M/D/YYYY
                      MM/DD/YY
                      etc.

                      How can I put together a regex that will identify a date format and then
                      convert the date to the MySQL format?

                      Thanks
                      Frank

                      Message: 11
                      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:49:52 +0800
                      From: "Franki" <frankieh@...>

                      did you try just require "./cgi-lib.pl"; ???

                      are you on a linux/unix or NT box??

                      if its linux, the above should work, if its NT/2000 then I usually define
                      the path as a variable..

                      like so:

                      my $PaTh="c:/Inetpub/scripts/cgi-bin";

                      then when you do your require statements... try something like this:

                      require "$PaTh/cgi-lib.pl";

                      I know that works, I have several scripts that use that exact same method...

                      rgds

                      Frank

                      The 'cgi-lib.pl' script is in the same directory as the 'pass.pl'
                      i.e. they are both in the cgi-bin. Permissions cannot be set on this
                      site. The cgi-bin has preset permissions, so all cgi scripts must go
                      in there. I have also tried using the full path name without success.

                      Anymore ideas, Bob.E.

                      --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Franki" <frankieh@v...> wrote:
                      > have you tried ./cgi-lib.pl ????
                      >
                      > I have several scripts that use cgi-lib.pl and thats how I am doing
                      it..

                      > Here is an example of a scirpt that looks one directory up an into
                      another
                      > directory containing cgi-lib.pl
                      >
                      > require "./../library/cgi-lib.pl";
                      >
                      > rgds
                      > Frank

                      Message: 12
                      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:59:53 -0400
                      From: al_muhands@...
                      Subject: 樗緷 昑糨 筈?ш蜪х?шк捚ぽ翴

                      晇緧磈 ш殎篊 - 樗緷鞁 шх緶 ы 堌?ш摎 翲?ш拺縳4-10 蒑ЩЯЯЯЯ
                      �凈 ш磈迍 ше?趷?繄緛 樗緷鞁ЯЯЯ?шх緶

                      鞁蝁 шк忨ЯЯЯЯЯЯЯж

                      窴迖 樍?шё磈ЯЯЯЯЯы

                      ш帎蜮 楜 槱?ш蜠庌?
                      慲稹縩 ш�鞁蓏 磈慡敊 磈慲駃縶
                      http://www.almuhands.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=ddbb0b597f49c034b3126d292b
                      19ca9b&forumid=39

                      槦 ш极ж ш鑤萯栭僾 俅醾?极ж?
                      �?ш摎 ш敊蜠 ш敊罾

                      ш貤ъ 筈繄??敊蓖 ш摎 ?�萩忴?

                      縩� 蹶萩?葂縼 蜠醾 蚅ш 暷? 槦 蒯 鬿緷 � 俅醾?蜠 ш极ж ?槱?ш蚅ш 邊?鬾迿
                      蛷?蹶裌?楜?葂縼⑧ ?珌み⑧ 譏?�箷篎薠?撦楂 ш韍篱? 緷餇 蒘?萩?ш极ж �篎 ш
                      貤е ш蒑庉眅?槦 愨?ш曬磄 楜 楩衯罽 慳 罾摲緛 鑤?ш迒醾挸?慳縩祄磈 蜠 ш蓏
                      ь砅靽 槦 愨?ш曬磄 楜 ш婂堌?慳 罾摲緛 鑤?ш�ж?辭ъ ш珂醾�吽 慳 骱祄樍
                      蜠 ш蓏ь砅靽 槦 愨?ш曬磄 楜 蓅蝂?慳 罾摲緛 鑤?ш譚慴?ш挌縻?笰 碔釂 僿緱釂
                      ?慳 縩祄磈 蜠 ш蓏ь砅靽 慳 .. � 樍 蓏ь盻?-饜 堌?ш摎 忨ш?.. 愨麧?籣庉眅
                      磈 蹬緶 蒯 彶?摎 鏜砅樍 ?繀ш ш硨獢 ?蒯 ш馻?鑤?蜠 筀?ш摎 ?摿?蜠 筀?ш貤
                      е. 葎摲 颮? 愨蚧а 葂縼?摦 駃忐?ш凎а 愨晑 ш极ж ?ш痷ш 筈?ш識?. ?摲?ш
                      摎 蚧虰麧 ?忨ш?蹼媋鞁 貤е 蟲?馽ш � 蜠а?蹼珌む??蜳ш俜??邏彶ж樍?轔??樉
                      ш饜庍韍. 捑蒯 慳 駃忐縩 邊 忤忯 磈迍⑧ 蜠 槼??摲鳵?駃忐縩 邊 馹欱?蜪湋楜 婧
                      葋 饜庍韍 醱 馺縩 筈翴?辭磈?蒘疪瘃 萩韍 蚘禡鷿 鑤?梤歶 曬磈鳵??梤歶鞁 楜 翲?
                      蜠 ш鏜ъ.

                      ?邏捙磈 蜮?槱?

                      http://www.taiar.freeservers.com/entesarat.htm

                      槦 葐 槱?- 蒯 堌?ш摎 慳 碔釂 鑤?�摽?- 萩?迿蟾?蜠 楪т?槦 萩?迿蟾?蜠 忴栔?
                      辭 蜠 纓捚??侒в 虮齵 ?饜 摦 魠?馝?�絣鳵?蒯 簐玹?

                      瓚?... 楩縪?葐 蜠醾 楜 痶и?鬾趵 瘏?邊 篸狪 邊 槱?极ж ?愨?槱?樉 蒯 鳲摲? ш
                      侒в 摎 呴а??ш忡栔?摎 筊а???摿鬿齵 葐 磈迍 僾鑫?摽?祴??枑??忨ш魽 愨鳵?慪
                      鞁 槼?棰?愨?蹺刲鞁 硢?醱 摲?麧д?ш翴禢 ... � 愨鳵?蒑摦緛 昄鞁 ?戀雥眊?蜮⑧
                      棰?楜 蚧罅 ш摎 祴??枑??忨ш魽 �凊罽 楜?葐 极?駃忐縩?�撂迿慓 ш扱 鳲摲暷.

                      祳?邊 簆瘏鸅 ш摎 祴?禡暟 极ж鞁 ?慳 簐蚧鞁 蜠 砳挸 ш恉骱罽 ш譜暟氶 楜旂碇
                      ?ш极ж 筈?ш識?蜛�罽 趄?蓔�罽 ?晸撦桻 ш蒨罽 ?晸慡暷珈 楄邴?蜮 ш蝃欱蝂?
                      邃罽.

                      ?ш摎 忨ш?蹼摦.

                      鬿慳 筀 葐蜲 摦昒樕罽 э?慳罽
                      楜 蜠庌?ш蜪趷硭 ш硢�?

                      ш蜲餀?

                      http://www.almuhands.com

                      Message: 13
                      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:41:23 -0500
                      From: "Charles K. Clarkson" <cclarkson@...>
                      Subject: Re: Perl, MySQL and Dates

                      "Frank J. Schmuck" <fschmuck@...> asked:

                      :
                      : The dates will be in a variety of formats:
                      : MM/DD/YYYY
                      : M/DD/YYYY
                      : M/D/YYYY
                      : MM/DD/YY
                      : etc.
                      :
                      : How can I put together a regex that will identify a date
                      : format and then convert the date to the MySQL format?

                      Have you looked in CPAN. There are many Date modules.
                      I seem to recall some sort of conversion module.
                      Date::Calc I think.

                      HTH,
                      Charles K. Clarkson
                      Clarkson Energy Homes, Inc.

                      Message: 14
                      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 10:08:01 -0600
                      From: Mark Sutfin <msutfin@...>
                      Subject: RE: Which Data Structure to Use?

                      <Charles K. Clarkson wrote>
                      : Perhaps if we saw a snippet of raw data, we might be able to offer
                      different solutions.

                      I should have included a sample yesterday... The attached a file contains
                      about a dozen lines from our FTP log. I included records for actions I'd
                      like to report on. Reading across, the columns (split on \s) are: date,
                      time, session id, ftp server, ?(don't know), incoming IP address, userid,
                      action, filename, full path/filename. Sysadmin has changed their collective
                      minds since yesterday, the report now needs to be sorted by: Incoming IP
                      address, userid, action, file, and path.

                      So, following your logic of the hash of arrays, the key would now be
                      "$IP_addr.$userid.$action.$filename.$path" and the values in the array
                      would be [$IP_addr, $userid, $action, $filename, $path, $count].

                      Seems like the concatenation of all fields (except count) makes it unique.
                      Why would I use an array (repeating the fields in the key), when I have a
                      key (albeit a long one) and value (count) as in a "regular" hash? Is this so
                      that when I get around to reporting on things, I don't have to split the key
                      to print it? If so, sounds reasonable. I'll see... and thanks for any other
                      approaches that come to mind once you've seen the sample log file. I'm
                      really jazzed about Perl, but being visual, I need to try each approach to
                      get a feel for what's going on....

                      So, for the dozen rows in the attached file, The report may look something
                      like this...

                      Incoming IP Userid Action File
                      Path Count

                      11.17.249.4
                      sqlupdate
                      STOR
                      ctcord.txt
                      d:/ftproot/users/sqlupdate/ctc/ 1
                      RETR
                      ses_upd.mdb
                      d:/ftproot/users/sqlupdate/tld/ 1
                      DELE
                      ses_upd.old
                      d:/ftproot/users/sqlupdate/ 1
                      11.17.249.59
                      sqlupdate
                      RETR
                      ctcord.txt
                      d:/ftproot/users/sqlupdate/ctc/ 1
                      STOR
                      ctcmem.txt
                      d:/ftproot/users/sqlupdate/ctc/ 1
                      vax.txt
                      d:/ftproot/users/sqlupdate/ccr/ 1
                      11.3.177.109
                      experian
                      63.163.206.81

                      TIA,
                      Mark

                      : Sysadmin has asked for a report based on our FTP logs. I've parsed
                      : the lines in the FTP log based on the action the user took (STOR,
                      : DELE, RETR, CWD..) For each action, I now have an array that contains
                      : just those lines of the FTP log.
                      :
                      : There are several 'fields' in each line that I would like to report
                      : on. Example: For the change directory (CWD) array, I'm interested in
                      : the 3 pieces of info... userid, directory, and a running count for
                      : each.
                      :
                      : I'm stumbling on how to reason (and code) the storage for this data.
                      : The end report would look something like this..
                      :
                      : Userid Directory Number of Hits
                      : UID1 /usr/bin 25
                      : UID1 /usr/opt 3
                      : UID3 /user/bin/perl 6
                      :
                      : So, as I said before, with a foreach loop and a regex, I've built a
                      : change directory array (@CWD). Now with another foreach loop and a
                      : split, I stored the $userid ($CWD[6]) and directory($CWD[8]) in
                      : scalars and have a counter for the hits. Problem number one... How to
                      : identify the combined userid/directory to determine which counter to
                      : apply the hit to ..
                      :
                      : Seems like the high level identifier will be userid, but as the same
                      : user may CWD to multiple directories with an FTP session, perhaps the
                      : userid & directory will make it unique. Concatenating the userid &
                      : directory and populating a hash with this as the key, (the value
                      : being the running count) seemed feasible. But, perhaps also somewhat
                      : less than elegant.

                      I like the hash of arrays. The hash would be keyed
                      to "$userid.$directory", as you mentioned which should
                      aid in counting and sorting. The values would be an
                      array:
                      [$userid, $directory, $count].

                      Counting would be:
                      $report{"$userid.$directory"}[2]++;

                      Sorting might be:
                      print "$_[0]\t$_[1]\t$_[2]\n"
                      for @report{sort keys %report};

                      : A hash of array (userid => [directory, count]) doesn't get the job
                      : done because the userid key is not unique. If I understand the
                      : examples in Perl Cookbook, the hash of hashes doesn't work for the
                      : same reason.
                      :
                      : If I wasn't sure I was confused and offtrack before I wrote this,
                      : after proofreading it, I've convinced myself that I am. Any help will
                      : be much appreciated.

                      Perhaps if we saw a snippet of raw data, we might be able to
                      offer different solutions.

                      : With a little help understanding what might be a reasonable storage
                      : structure/pseudo code approach, I'll take a stab at the code and
                      : revisit y'all when I approach the <wall>.
                      :

                      [This message contained attachments]

                      Message: 15
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:47:08 +0000
                      From: Michael <mhauptma73@...>
                      Subject: more problems with RegEx

                      Hi,

                      Thanks to all that helped me the last time. It worked fine. But now I have
                      to go further and after 5 days struggling I just can't find the way.

                      I have a table written in HTML. The static text from within the cells I'd
                      like to output in the same table but beeing editable using a textfield. The
                      problem is that in the cells sometimes are tags to format the text and also
                      some <br> tags which I do not want to show up in the textfield.
                      Also I have ti give the textfields diferent names to evaluate them when they
                      are sent back to another script.

                      the script is:

                      #!/usr/bin/perl

                      use strict;
                      use warnings;
                      use CGI qw/:standard/;
                      use CGI::Carp 'fatalsToBrowser';

                      my $Zaehler = 0;
                      print
                      header, start_html('HTML page title'),
                      start_form({ action => '../cgi-bin/convert_back.pl',
                      name => 'edit'}
                      ),
                      template(),
                      submit({ name => '',
                      value => 'Aendern'}
                      ),
                      end_form, end_html;

                      sub template {
                      my $field = textfield({
                      name => "conv$Zaehler",
                      value => "$3",
                      size => 24}
                      );
                      my $html;
                      {
                      my $file = '../html/preise.htm';
                      die "Template: No template file specified\n" unless -e $file;
                      open my $fh, $file or die "Template: Couldn't open $file: $!\n";
                      read $fh, $html, -s $fh;
                      }
                      $html =~ s{(<td.*?>
                      (<.*?>)*)
                      (.*?)
                      ((</.*?>)*
                      {$1
                      $field
                      $4\n}gisx;

                      return $html;
                      }

                      The HTML file is located at www.cocaresa-sa.com/preise.htm.

                      Thanks in advance,
                      Michael

                      Message: 16
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:10:05 -0000
                      From: "Sean" <perlmongrel@...>
                      Subject: Re: counting weekdays

                      Date manipulation is one of the more difficult things to do. Try
                      using one of the modules off of CPAN in aiding your quest.

                      http://search.cpan.org/search?mode=module&query=date

                      Good luck!

                      --- In perl-beginner@y..., <toni_t_banire@s...> wrote:
                      > yes, all years are taken into consideratrion.
                      >

                      > What I am trying to do is supply 2 dates to perl and find how many
                      days are
                      > between them excluding weekends.
                      >

                      > Toni

                      Message: 17
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 14:17:35 -0400
                      From: Bompa <bompa@...>

                      There must be several ways of doing this. Everyone that does any billing
                      needs to figure due dates, late payments etc.

                      I'll meditate on it.

                      Bompa

                      toni_t_banire@... wrote:

                      > Does anyone have a snippet of code that will enable me to count the
                      > no. of weekdays (not weekends) in any given month.
                      >
                      > I would have posted an example of how I intend to go about it, to be
                      > honest, i'm not sure where to start.
                      >
                      > Do I need modules, do I reference a calender
                      >
                      > Pls Help

                      http://www.pureperl.org
                      http://www.afreeirc.net

                      Message: 18
                      Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 11:32:19 -0700
                      From: Greg Webster <greg@...>
                      Subject: Re: more problems with RegEx

                      > $html =~ s{(<td.*?>
                      > (<.*?>)*)
                      > (.*?)
                      > ((</.*?>)*
                      > {$1
                      > $field
                      > $4\n}gisx;
                      >
                      > return $html;

                      You may have better luck with a different sort of regexp match for tables:

                      $_ = /<td.*[^>]/;

                      ...this (assuming I wrote it correctly since I just woke up), should match
                      a TD tag better, where the .* grabs anything that isn't ([^>]) a
                      greater-than sign.

                      Greg

                      --
                      $me='computers rpgs userfriendly.org new westminster canada geek bc';
                      $me=~s/\s+//g;@e=split(//,$me); $x.=$e[$_] for qw(11 7 6 11 0 49 44

                      Message: 19
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:34:48 -0000
                      From: tom@...

                      Will you want to exclude Holidays or vacation days as well?

                      --- In perl-beginner@y..., toni_t_banire@s... wrote:
                      > Does anyone have a snippet of code that will enable me to count the
                      > no. of weekdays (not weekends) in any given month.
                      >
                      > I would have posted an example of how I intend to go about it, to
                      be
                      > honest, i'm not sure where to start.
                      >

                      > Do I need modules, do I reference a calender
                      >
                      > Pls Help

                      Message: 20
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:44:19 -0000
                      From: tom@...

                      Some possible help:

                      http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/CPAN/perl/pod/perlfaq4/How_do_I_find_the_
                      week_of_the_year_day_of_the_year_.html

                      Not an answer but related, perhaps, to the problem.

                      HTH,

                      Tom

                      --- In perl-beginner@y..., tom@t... wrote:
                      > Will you want to exclude Holidays or vacation days as well?
                      >
                      > --- In perl-beginner@y..., toni_t_banire@s... wrote:
                      > > Does anyone have a snippet of code that will enable me to count
                      the
                      > > no. of weekdays (not weekends) in any given month.
                      > >
                      > > I would have posted an example of how I intend to go about it, to
                      > be
                      > > honest, i'm not sure where to start.
                      > >

                      > > Do I need modules, do I reference a calender
                      > >
                      > > Pls Help

                      Message: 21
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 15:04:36 -0400
                      From: Bompa <bompa@...>

                      For starters, check this page out:
                      http://pureperl.org/PerlHelp/site/lib/HTTP/Date.html

                      Scroll down that page, you'll see a date parser.

                      Good luck, (gotta go, Star Trek NG is on, heh)

                      Bompa

                      toni_t_banire@... wrote:

                      > Does anyone have a snippet of code that will enable me to count the
                      > no. of weekdays (not weekends) in any given month.
                      >
                      > I would have posted an example of how I intend to go about it, to be
                      > honest, i'm not sure where to start.
                      >
                      > Do I need modules, do I reference a calender
                      >
                      > Pls Help

                      http://www.pureperl.org
                      http://www.afreeirc.net

                      Message: 22
                      Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 02:20:23 +0600
                      From: "yahulliguns@..." <yahulliguns@...>
                      Subject: new prog

                      New to Perl....this following is a mimic from Learning Perl...But this is
                      not running properly. Can anyone tell what's wrong??...

                      Thanks in advance.

                      #!/usr/bin/perl

                      %names = qw(

                      james xxx
                      ronald yyy
                      chris zzz

                      );

                      print "enter your name" ;
                      $name = <stdin>;
                      chomp($name);
                      if ($name =~ /Larry\b/i) {
                      print "Hey Larry!!! good to see you again!!!!!\n\n";
                      }
                      else {

                      print "Hi $name\n\n";
                      $secretword = $names {$them};
                      if ($secretword eq "")
                      {
                      $secterword = "duck";
                      }

                      print "your password?\n\n";
                      $pass = <stdin>;
                      chomp($pass);
                      while ($pass ne $secretword)
                      {
                      print "re-enter\n\n";
                      $pass = <stdin>;
                      chomp($pass);

                      Message: 23
                      Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 17:01:29 -0400
                      From: David Pompeo <dpompeo@...>
                      Subject: RE: new prog

                      Below are two comments in the script. Hope this helps.

                      #!/usr/bin/perl

                      %names = (
                      "james" => "xxx",
                      "ronald" => "yyy",
                      "chris" => "zzz",
                      );

                      print "enter your name ";

                      $name = <stdin>;
                      chomp($name);

                      if ($name =~ /Larry\b/i) {
                      print "Hey Larry!!! good to see you again!!!!!\n\n";
                      } else {
                      print "Hi $name\n\n";

                      ### use $name as the key to the hash %names ###
                      $secretword = $names{$name};

                      if ($secretword eq "") {
                      ####################################
                      ### TYPO in $secterword = "duck" ###
                      ####################################
                      $secretword = "duck";
                      }

                      print "your password?\n\n";

                      $pass = <stdin>;

                      chomp($pass);

                      while ($pass ne $secretword) {
                      print "re-enter\n\n";
                      $pass = <stdin>;
                      chomp($pass);

                      Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 10:34:32 +1200
                      From: "Gordon Stewart" <Gordon.Stewart@...>

                      >>> Jenda@... 10/02/01 10:56 >>>

                      It should be
                      s+ta
                      <

                      Hmm - If i put ir+le in the search field, using

                      @araa = grep(/$search/i, <INF>);

                      would "circle" be included in the search ?

                      as far as i see - Its not - only those with irle are being retrieved /
                      got..

                      not ir (any characters) & then le

                      Ive placed a 'print' statement before & after the grep - & exited the
                      programme - I use no other grepping / sorting..

                      Even printing the source-data of @araa - after the grep..

                      Curious ???

                      G.

                      Message: 25
                      Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 11:03:35 +1200
                      From: "Gordon Stewart" <Gordon.Stewart@...>
                      Subject: FIXED ?? Re: PS: Regex searching ???

                      Hmm - If i put ir+le in the search field, using

                      @araa = grep(/$search/i, <INF>);

                      would "circle" be included in the search ?
                      <

                      Hi - If i change any * character to .* it seems to work.. ??

                      Eg - a regex to change ci*le to ci.*le

                      Basically, im looking for a "ci" then ( 0 or or more of ANY character)
                      then "le"

                      G.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 3, 2001
                        --- In perl-beginner@y..., "Fei-Chih Kuo" <cadmcse@h...> wrote:
                        > unsubscribe

                        and then quoted the whole of a digest!!!!

                        Now this guy obviously has not been reading the correspondence re
                        unsubscribing, and really must be stupid (OK, I know he's not a
                        native English speaker, but that is no excuse).

                        Grrrrrrrreg Smith
                      • antony jones
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 3, 2001
                          --- Greg <webmaster@...> wrote: > --- In
                          perl-beginner@y..., "Fei-Chih Kuo"
                          > <cadmcse@h...> wrote:
                          > > unsubscribe
                          >
                          > and then quoted the whole of a digest!!!!
                          >
                          > Now this guy obviously has not been reading the
                          > correspondence re
                          > unsubscribing, and really must be stupid (OK, I know
                          > he's not a
                          > native English speaker, but that is no excuse).
                          >
                          > Grrrrrrrreg Smith
                          >

                          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          WOHA!!!

                          strong words there

                        • Jenda Krynicky
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 3, 2001
                            From: antony jones <antonyjones101@...>
                            > --- Greg <webmaster@...> wrote: > --- In
                            > perl-beginner@y..., "Fei-Chih Kuo"
                            > > <cadmcse@h...> wrote:
                            > > > unsubscribe
                            > >
                            > > and then quoted the whole of a digest!!!!
                            > >
                            > > Now this guy obviously has not been reading the
                            > > correspondence re
                            > > unsubscribing, and really must be stupid (OK, I know
                            > > he's not a
                            > > native English speaker, but that is no excuse).
                            > >
                            > > Grrrrrrrreg Smith
                            >
                            > WOHA!!!
                            >
                            > strong words there

                            I'd use even stronger if I did not delete the mail without even looking
                            at it.

                            ANYONE WHO QUOTES A WHOLE THREAD INCLUDING ALL
                            THE HEADERS, SIGNATURES, ADS AND EVERYTHING,
                            ESPECIALY IF THE THREAD IS TOTALY UNRELATED TO HIS
                            POST SHOULD BE PUBLICLY FLOGED.
                            (If it happens to be a nice girl I book the best seat!)

                            Only quote the relevant parts !!!

                            ANYONE WHO USES A NONINFORMATIVE SUBJECT ("Please
                            help", "Help newbie", "I need help", "question", "beginer" and
                            similar) SHOULD BE IGNORED AND LEFT WITHOUT HELP.
                            (Unless it's a nice girl from Prague looking for an offline tutor ;-)

                            ANYONE WHO SENDS AN UNSUBSCRIPTION REQUEST INTO
                            A MAILING LIST WITHOUT TRYING AT LEAST FIVE OTHER
                            DIFFERENT WAYS BEFORE SHOULD BE ... ASHAMED OF
                            HIM/HER-SELF.

                            Jenda

                            P.S.: Sorry for shouting.

                            =========== Jenda@... == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==========
                            It's just that in the mess on my table ... and in my brain.
                            I can't find it.
                            --- me
                          • G.D. Bell
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 3, 2002
                              unsubscribe

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 26, 2003
                                unsubscribe
                              • Bram Swenson
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 27, 2004
                                  unsubscribe
                                • Noah
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Sep 9, 2006
                                    unsubscribe

                                  • Rob Richardson
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Sep 9, 2006
                                      Noah (and everybody else),

                                      To unsubscribe from this list, send an E-mail to
                                      perl-beginner-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com. Subject and body can be
                                      left blank.

                                      RobR