RE: [PBML] Two Perls on Same Machine

  • erik.tank@bpxinternet.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6, 2001
      It's funny that you ask that at this time. At work we are migrating from
      Perl 5.005 to 5.6.1, so for some time we will have both installations on 1
      server.

      As far as we know/believe/wax philosophically (mind you we are starting the
      migration this week so I may have to revise my answer when it is all over
      ;-) ) each installation of Perl will be total separate. Everything hinges
      upon which Perl interpreter you call. In your case when you call
      /usr/bin/perl you will get the 5.6.0 installation and if you call
      /usr/local/bin/perl you will get the 5.6.1 installation. When installing
      something from CPAN you will need to make sure you are calling the correct
      Perl interpreter. If you are used to typing "cpan" at the prompt then you
      will need to that somewhere the cpan command has been set up to be script
      for: "perl -MCPAN -e shell". Of course in your case you will want to make
      sure that it is pointing to the correct interpreter.

      When we are done with our migration we plan on renaming the old Perl
      interpreter and setting up a symbolic link to the new interpreter so that we
      should not have any problems. I would recommend at least doing this. That
      way you know that you are always using the correct one.

      Hope that helps,

      Erik Tank
      602-817-4705
      erik.tank@...