Re: Easy way to learn Perl

  • Jason
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      Check out the website below.....

      http://www.netcat.co.uk/rob/perl/win32perltut.html

      Honestly, being new to Perl a few months ago, I printed his BIG tutor
      page and went through it. I have not found a better hands-on
      introduction yet. His site easily answered a question or two that I
      could NOT get answered easily in the Osborne book called The Complete
      Reference: Perl Second Edition. I even emailed the guy and let him
      know what I thought!

      Jason

      --- In perl-beginner@y..., Luis <luis@p...> wrote:
      > Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a site
      or a
      > free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really
      beginner point.
      > What I mean is that I dont know anything about perl. I just finished
      > installing linux on my box (redhat7.1) I do know that perl is
      located in

      > /usr/bin/perl
      >
      > I'm very new to the programing scene so i'm sorry for asking a
      stupid
      > question.
      >
      > Thank you all hope that you guys have a nice day.
      >

      > Luis
    • Robert D. Crawford
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        According to the author (Mr. Schwartz (sp?) is a regular on another list
        that I read) the third edition, which should be out soon, is a complete
        rewrite based on his and other's experience teaching perl. The Llama2 is
        a good resource, but you might want to wait for the Llama3. As far as
        some good tutorials try:

        http://perl.about.com
        http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node=Tutorials
        http://www.devdaily.com/Dir/Perl/Articles_and_Tutorials
        http://www.sharemation.com/~perl/tut

        On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Daniel Gardner wrote:

        :L> Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a site or a
        :L> free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really beginner point.
        :
        :Get a copy of the O'Reilly book Learning Perl - it's really
        :very good and will teach you everything you need to know.
        :

        Robert D. Crawford rdc@...
        http://dennysprojects.virtualave.net icq#: 4976978

        Preserve wildlife -- pickle a squirrel today!
      • erik.tank@bpxinternet.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          This is not to knock books but for my style of learning I was able to pick
          up Perl from a very basic tutorial. The rest has come from (mainly) coding,
          looking at code, asking questions to co-workers and on lists like this.

          Don't get me wrong. I can go weeks without seeing the top of my desk due to
          the number of books, magazines, and other printed material I have on hand.
          However when it comes down to programming it seems that the book is always 1
          step shy of what I want to do ;-).

          First place I always go for a good tutorial is Google. Try:
          "what_ever_language tutorial" or "howto what_ever_language". I do have to
          say that the links posted so far are awesome!

          P.S. - If you are on a Linux system or a Unix system don't forget to look at
          the man pages. I know that I have always ignored them, but am learning to
          love them.

          Good luck,

          Erik Tank
          602-817-4705